UKBouldering.com

D700 or 5d MkII or wait.... (Read 4562 times)

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit
D700 or 5d MkII or wait....
December 08, 2010, 07:24:31 pm
Ok, i am out of steam with trawling through the never ending debate between which of these two cameras is the better.

Basically boils down to one having more MP and HD video and the other being faster with less noise and better AF system. On paper the D700 seems like the better option to me...until you consider I have a load of canon lenses and what must be lurking around the corner from both Canon and Nikon. Both models are due to be superseded by a newer version...so do I wait...

Opinions, particularly from anyone who owns or has shot with either, are greatly welcomed.

Huff

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: D700 or 5d MkII or wait....
December 09, 2010, 12:14:49 am
What body are you coming from?

I'm sitting on the same decision and in the same circumstances (Lenses). Lets not forget that Canons implementation of OCF is shit compared to CLS.

The 5dMK II makes infinite sense, but in a shop with the two in my hands I kept going back to the Nikon UNTIL I realise that they don't make a 70-200 F/4 equivalent and I can't afford the 2.8 and the Sigma demo day didn't blow me away either. I'm also reluctant to give up the video aspect as its really intriguing, but I have it on my 550d and apart from a few tests, I haven't bothered that much.

I can't see the 5d MK II dropping massively in price with the newer version given its popularity with VDSLR enthusiasts, I haven't a clue about the D700 in this matter.

Tom de Gay

• stalker
#2 Re: D700 or 5d MkII or wait....
December 09, 2010, 12:32:47 am
Hi Huffy!

I use the 5D MkII for my architectural work - all manual focus, on a tripod, ISO100 type stuff. Paired with a good lens the 'image quality' is superb and comparable with 5x4 film.

21MP is about an A2 size print, though you could comfortably go larger. However, the flipside is that the huge RAW files are a pain to process and store. If I'm just using the camera for fun, rather than commissioned work I set it to sRAW 15mp.

I find the noise OK at 3200, or 6400 is you're not too picky. Good enough for the majority of situations.

Centre point autofocus is fine in good light for normal subjects, if you're a focus-recompose kind of guy. I've never tried shooting sports or wildlife so can't comment on tracking. Autofocus struggles in very low light. I expect the Nikon to have the advantage here, though I tried a 7D in the shop and was impressed with the zonal focus etc.

I've never seriously used the video mode, but I've no doubt you can get some amazing results.

What lenses do you have? As you know, if they're EF-lenses they won't fit the 5D, plus the cheaper zooms, and even some primes, are outresolved by the sensor.

I guess it depends what you're photographing and how and where you want to print or publish your work.

As regards waiting, if a 5DIII is announced in in the next few months it could be late summer before you can actually get one and it will probably cost 2k.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Re: D700 or 5d MkII or wait....
December 09, 2010, 04:37:30 am
Huffy - two questions first. What lenses have you got already? Why are you getting a full-frame DSLR?

dave

#4 Re: D700 or 5d MkII or wait....
December 09, 2010, 08:32:24 am
Don't go switching systems if you've got lenses already. (Unless of course you're ditching canon in favour of nikon, afterall you're only human.)

The other thing is if you need the camera now then don't wait for new stuff to come out, just get whatever is available now. Even if nikon announces the D800 tomorrow, it won't actually be in shops for months, and then it'll be all sold out to people who put it on order when it was announced and are happy to pay the price premium that brand new gear has, and then it'll be months before the price drops to the "normal" level.

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#5 Re: D700 or 5d MkII or wait....
December 15, 2010, 08:37:20 pm
if you need full frame id go nikon, i considered swapping. the main reason i ended up sticking with canon was the fact i had quite a few lenses and half are L series so would have cost too much and been a pain to change.
ive now got a 7d and love it. the focusing is very fast and 18meg files are nice and big without being daft. i also have a 5d mk1 aswell but dont shoot that much on it these days. i would like a mk2 but cant justify the out lay as i shoot lots of sports.

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit
#6 Re: D700 or 5d MkII or wait....
December 17, 2010, 01:18:35 pm
Nice one guys, really appreciate all the input above.

Coming from a 400d and feel like I have used it to death, hence motions towards an upgrade.
Quote from: Johnny Brown

link=topic=16555.msg290076#msg290076 date=1291869450
Huffy - two questions first. What lenses have you got already? Why are you getting a full-frame DSLR?

Actually like Tom also mentions, my lenses are not going to fit - sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro / HSM and canon
70 - 300usm on reflection these lenses are irrelevent.

The 7d is a pretty inviting option and I appreciate its fast frame rate and responsive AF system plus crop factor favours
the sports/wildlife photographer but full frame does appeal to me simply for the vast range of ISO it offers.

I really dont have a particular photographic niche i'm working towards.

I know what you mean dave about waiting for the next 'big two' from nikon and Canon in 2011 - gonna be waiting for ages to actually get one.

hmm....still weighing up the endless options

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#7 Re: D700 or 5d MkII or wait....
December 17, 2010, 02:29:14 pm
The 7d is a pretty inviting option and I appreciate its fast frame rate and responsive AF system plus crop factor favours
the sports/wildlife photographer but full frame does appeal to me simply for the vast range of ISO it offers.

the 7d goes up to 12800 iso, tho i dont use much above 3200. i would go down to harrisons and have a play with them both and take a few pics so you can see what the files are like for yourself.

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: D700 or 5d MkII or wait....
December 17, 2010, 02:36:27 pm
I think the point is that a relative ISO will give higher IQ on a larger sensor not what the maximum is. Although as I was rightly told; stop underexposing and you won't have as much trouble with noise  :spank:

cofe

• forum hero
#9 Re: D700 or 5d MkII or wait....
December 17, 2010, 02:40:22 pm
There's a reasonable argument that if you find yourself shooting at ISO 1,000,000,000,000,000 it's actually too dark. Or you've left your lens cap on.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: D700 or 5d MkII or wait....
December 17, 2010, 02:43:39 pm
i would go down to harrisons and have a play with them both and take a few pics so you can see what the files are like for yourself.

Bit of a long way to come from London!  :P

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#11 Re: D700 or 5d MkII or wait....
December 17, 2010, 05:15:33 pm
full frame does appeal to me simply for the vast range of ISO it offers.

If that's the main reason then go with the Nikon. They are still streets ahead at high ISOs.

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: D700 or 5d MkII or wait....
January 14, 2011, 03:51:58 am
if anyone else is using a 550d or a 5dMkII then its worth noting that noise performance can be significantly improved by using the native ISO's offered under the Magic Lantern firmware as well as a shed load of other features.

None of which are available for the 7d, which I'm guessing huff has plumped for.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal