UKBouldering.com

Continual Cold (Read 10784 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Continual Cold
November 14, 2010, 09:57:06 pm
Not sure where to post this but hey ho.

I've had a "bit of a cold" for about two months now - sore throat, slightly blocked runny nose and occasional mild earache. Never gets worse than that and doesn't seem to be getting better. Am I just catching everything from a young child in nursery who seems to have a perpetual runny nose or what. Doesn't feel bad enough to need to see a doctor and feel like I should be patient and wait for it to clear up, or is this something that antibiotics would help with. I know you get viral ilnesses and bacterial illnesses and antibiotics don't work on viruses, etc etc.

Your medical knowledge please.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1 Re: Continual Cold
November 14, 2010, 10:06:59 pm
Hmmm that was me from October to January last year. Definately worth getting checked out by the Doc and if thats inconclusive then spending 5 days in bed or on the settee would be my advice even if the individual symptoms don't merit a day off sick. I tried to work and carry on as normal and just dug a deeper hole and if it happens again I'll definately think twice about trying to bravely soldier on.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2 Re: Continual Cold
November 14, 2010, 10:20:13 pm

I've had a "bit of a cold" for about two months now - sore throat, slightly blocked runny nose and occasional mild earache. Never gets worse than that and doesn't seem to be getting better. Am I just catching everything from a young child in nursery who seems to have a perpetual runny nose or what. Doesn't feel bad enough to need to see a doctor and feel like I should be patient and wait for it to clear up, or is this something that antibiotics would help with. I know you get viral ilnesses and bacterial illnesses and antibiotics don't work on viruses, etc etc.

anti biotics... no.

young fit man... very active... persistent symptoms with young child... probably normal. you've answered your own question though.. GP time IMO.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 09:16:12 am

young fit man... very active

well, one of the 4 :)

I think you are right about the GP though.

Cheers.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#4 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 10:29:24 am
Anyone familiar with longer-term but less chronic versions of this?  I've had a semi-blocked and very runny nose now for around 3 years and, except during brief forays to warm sunny climes, I basically feel weak, cold and tired all the time.  I've always just blamed it on a cluster of separate things (Reynauds, insomnia, being a bit too thin etc) that combine to make me feel very under-the-weather when a bit stressed.   Recently though, I can't help but wonder whether there's a single cause that could perhaps be addressed - some sort of lingering post-viral thing or a hormonal / blood disorder?

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 12:22:22 pm
Anyone familiar with longer-term but less chronic versions of this?  I've had a semi-blocked and very runny nose now for around 3 years and, except during brief forays to warm sunny climes, I basically feel weak, cold and tired all the time.  I've always just blamed it on a cluster of separate things (Reynauds, insomnia, being a bit too thin etc) that combine to make me feel very under-the-weather when a bit stressed.   Recently though, I can't help but wonder whether there's a single cause that could perhaps be addressed - some sort of lingering post-viral thing or a hormonal / blood disorder?

Could be an allergy?  However, given "weak, cold and tired" all the time, I'd get your thyroid checked.  But defo get checked.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 12:31:26 pm
Its a sever case of malaise  :P

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
#7 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 12:53:52 pm
Deffo get yourself to the quacks.

5 years ago I had similar symptoms and it turned out my thyroid had packed up!  :o

I'm now on medication for the rest of my life but at least I feel (a bit) better  :)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#8 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 02:35:11 pm
cheers (I think) for the slightly worrisom food-for-thought.  Think, after I get back from my holiday, I might make some use of my works' medical plan.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 02:41:39 pm
Since when did the words have a medical plan?

Is Dr Percy qualified?

dave

#10 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 02:43:05 pm

I had a similar period of being generally ill and shit this year from jan-march-ish. I think its par for the course when you've got a 1-year-old going to playgroups etc. And this is me who'd probably not had more than 3 days off work in 6 years, then had nearly 3 weeks off over the space of a couple of months. It was fucking shit, but it will pass.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#11 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 03:08:32 pm
...this is me who'd probably not had more than 3 days of work in 6 years

dave

#12 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 03:48:58 pm
for "work" read "employment".

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#13 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 04:04:52 pm
Is Dr Percy qualified?

Of course. As long as your illness can be cured by bolting lumps of plastic or large plywood boxes to your person.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#14 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 04:18:25 pm
for "work" read "employment".

I'm only jealous.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 07:35:30 pm
Is Dr Percy qualified?

Of course. As long as your illness can be cured by bolting lumps of plastic or large plywood boxes to your person.

"Take two screw-ons and see me in the morning"

Sods law, as soon as I post this, I can feel myself going rapidly downhill - sore eyes, sore head, cough, throat like I've been swallowing razors, aching back and thighs, face feels hot, but rest of me is shivering. Still, at least it gives me reason to see the quack local medical professional now. I bet he gives me a prescription for amoxycillin. Easy job :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Continual Cold
November 15, 2010, 07:44:18 pm
Someone at work has been swearing blind that Vicks first defence has kept him cold free this semester. Bear in mind that he (as a lecturer) is allegedly intelligent and also meets all the germs brought together by the whordes of filthy pox ridden students* every term... (Its enevitable getting a cold or two every october..) He uses it every time he feels that 'I'm getting a cold' throat tickle..

I have bought a bottle - and I've not had a cold since! So it must work
(though I have only used it once - to try if after buying some)...

*(nb. I love students really - they're ace - please dont stop coming or I wont have a job. Honest, please, grovelly grovelly please.. 9 grand a year is nothing really - you'll love it - please keep on coming. Pretty please. Pretty pretty please with knobs on..)

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
#17 Re: Continual Cold
November 17, 2010, 06:35:19 pm
whenever i get a cold or anything i go for a run and sweat it out. works for me not been ill in 12 years since i had glandular fever which made me lose a stone and a half in a week. could do  with it now to be fair to shed those extra pounds.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 Re: Continual Cold
November 18, 2010, 11:30:05 am
Someone at work has been swearing blind that Vicks first defence has kept him cold free this semester.
Does he look like this?

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Continual Cold
November 19, 2010, 03:43:38 pm
Nope, check shirt, beard glasses. Only the elbow patches saves him from the cliche'd geog Prof.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#20 Re: Continual Cold
November 19, 2010, 03:46:40 pm
I Googled "Geography professor" to find a picture for a witty jape and got this:

That's not your mate is it tomtom?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#21 Re: Continual Cold
November 19, 2010, 03:49:32 pm
Why do beards need glasses?

tomtom

• forum hero
#22 Re: Continual Cold
November 19, 2010, 03:54:33 pm
Why do beards need glasses?

To help them spot missing punctuation  :P

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Re: Continual Cold
November 19, 2010, 03:59:22 pm
I Googled "Geography professor" to find a picture for a witty jape and got this:

That's not your mate is it tomtom?

Shit - its me before I shaved off the beard-glasses.

[geek mode]

I suspect its there as a Geog Professor from somewhere or other said he could locate where Bin Laden was hiding due to the rather interesting geological formations in the cave wall behind where he was being filmed...

[/geek mode]

Lund

• obsessive maniac

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal