UKBouldering.com

Todra Gorge, Morocco (Read 3180 times)

chillax

• forum abuser
Todra Gorge, Morocco
November 11, 2010, 03:30:49 pm
Anyone been? Heading there for 2 weeks over xmas and new years with GF and some friends. Half the group aren't so keen on all that bolt clipping malarky, so I was wondering what the trad is like? Specifically up to around E2/3. Is there much? Could there be more?  :) Any info appreciated.

Paul

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Todra Gorge, Morocco
November 11, 2010, 04:02:29 pm
I don't think there is any trad. at Todra.  There is quite a lot of sport, including a few long multi-pitch routes.  These look the most interesting to me.  Overall I wasn't hugely impressed by the place, nothing like as good climbing as the premier league French and Spanish destinations. 

There is what looks to be good trad. in the southern anti-Atlas developed by people like Paul Donnithorne.  TrafraouteChris Bonnington's favourite rock-climbing area!

Morocco is a lovely country and strongly recommended.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:08:56 pm by duncan »

roddersm

• stalker
#2 Re: Todra Gorge, Morocco
November 11, 2010, 04:03:27 pm
Paul have you read this: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=766

Bolt clipping is were its at dude ;)

grimer

• forum hero
#3 Re: Todra Gorge, Morocco
November 11, 2010, 09:12:13 pm
Went there with my wife last Christmas. Didn't have any climbing gear with me but it's one of the few climbing areas I've been to where I hadn't the slightest desire to climb.

Sorry to be negative, but remember my opinion is only based on how it looked.

chillax

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Todra Gorge, Morocco
November 14, 2010, 07:08:37 pm
Cheers for the info lads. Think a change in venue might possibly be in order, as a bit of trad exploring is much more desirable than bolt clipping.

Went there with my wife last Christmas. Didn't have any climbing gear with me but it's one of the few climbing areas I've been to where I hadn't the slightest desire to climb.

Jaysus, must be bad if it rates lower than the likes of culdaff  :P

grimer

• forum hero
#5 Re: Todra Gorge, Morocco
November 14, 2010, 07:49:11 pm
Culdaff? Jesus, that's premier division for down there. You want to see some of the stuff we managed to enjoy.

Nancy Clancey the Fancy Dancer, anyone?

roddersm

• stalker
#6 Re: Todra Gorge, Morocco
November 15, 2010, 09:13:26 am
Cheers for the info lads. Think a change in venue might possibly be in order, as a bit of trad exploring is much more desirable than bolt clipping.

Jaysus, must be bad if it rates lower than the likes of culdaff  :P

Well Paul you thought Cruit was brilliant , Rodellar and the Burren were shit and Ceuse doesn't look great so maybe you might enjoy Todra alright ;) .

How many times have you climbed at Culdaff exactly Paul? Maybe you should n't rate venues that you haven't climbed at?

Nancy Clancy the fancy dancer? another classic Grimer, the list is endless!

chillax

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Todra Gorge, Morocco
November 15, 2010, 05:56:09 pm
I've not climbed at culdaff rodders, but its not been for lack of trying! I remember making more than a few requests.......   :whistle: Its the only crag that i've driven past 3 times without noticing, when I've been specifically looking for it! And considering I'm not that fond of crowds, limestone or sport climbing, I stand by what I said about the Burren, Rodellar and Ceuse .

Climb my routes on Cruit and then tell me its shit  ;)

roddersm

• stalker
#8 Re: Todra Gorge, Morocco
November 15, 2010, 07:03:41 pm
I've not climbed at culdaff rodders, but its not been for lack of trying! I remember making more than a few requests.......   :whistle: Its the only crag that i've driven past 3 times without noticing, when I've been specifically looking for it! And considering I'm not that fond of crowds, limestone or sport climbing, I stand by what I said about the Burren, Rodellar and Ceuse .

Climb my routes on Cruit and then tell me its shit  ;)

Which routes at Cruit Paul? They'd need to be pretty good to convince me that Cruit is better than ceuse.

I'll let Peter know that the directions are not sufficient so he can amend them in the guide. I'm not sure why you would be so keen to go to a crag you obviously don't rate? If you're still keen on Culdaff give me a shout next year and I'll show you where Nancy Clancy is :).

Anyway this is  :off:  enjoy your trip to Morocco.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal