UKBouldering.com

Front lever question (Read 16217 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#25 Re: Front lever question
October 31, 2010, 12:11:50 pm
OK, this is actually a weighted pull ups question.

In my quest to mtfu this winter (probably  :wall: but hey ho..), I have started doing more pull ups recently - also asymetrical ones (jug on one hand, mono on the other etc..) to try and get more strength in each arm. Now, do (or should) I use any fancy weight belt type equipment for doing weighted pull ups - or am I OK with a 1//2 decent rucksack filled with weights - (by half decent I mean one with a good waist/hip belt where I can load shoulders and hips) ? Or am I at risk of puntering myself into injury here.. I've tried (with 15kg) and my back feels a little stretchy/achy (not that unusual for me)...

Tom

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#26 Re: Front lever question
October 31, 2010, 06:18:35 pm
In my past brief forays into weighted pull ups I used a divers weight belt with some weights round it plus a sling with normal weights hanging off it at the front, and had no issues using it like that up to 50kg. It kept my centre of gravity nice and low and I never had (any extra) back problems with that set up, but didn't keep up with them for a prolonged period.

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
#27 Re: Front lever question
October 31, 2010, 06:30:11 pm
I can't see any reason why taking some of the weight on your shoulders would be a bad thing (although there may be one as I've never tried and don't now much about physiology - disclaimer over). The main discomfort I got was from the weight belt cutting into my hip bones! Which the shoulder straps would surely help with.

I just about got away with doing weighted pull ups from straight arms for a while, but it's definitely very elbow-tweaky. If you have a low enough bar I'd recommend starting from slightly bent arms.

flyguy

• addict
#28 Re: Front lever question
October 31, 2010, 06:34:55 pm
go slowly i put a breeze block in my backpack and my elbow is now ducked. got a bit keen.  :wall:

tomtom

• forum hero
#29 Re: Front lever question
October 31, 2010, 06:56:07 pm
I think theres quite a way to go.. I weigh 75kg, and can do them with 10kg extra (plus backpack and gubbins) but not 14..  ;D I'll be fine for a bit I think!

Paul B

• forum hero
#30 Re: Front lever question
October 31, 2010, 07:45:07 pm
I can't see any reason why taking some of the weight on your shoulders would be a bad thing

The straps impinge the movement of the shoulder blades. I've used various setups, the best was probably the old harness with leg loops removed. Similarily once you get to large weights (you need to be helped up because your legs are that feeble and) the harness will try to sever your lower body from your torso.

Is there a need for weighted two armers rather than assisted one-armers? (plus the usual caveats)

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
#31 Re: Front lever question
October 31, 2010, 07:56:44 pm
 :agree:

I spent ages doing weighted 2-armers and I'm still a punter!  :boohoo:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#32 Re: Front lever question
November 07, 2010, 02:28:58 pm
I always used a normal weightlifting belt with a cord to attach the (enormous amount of) weights.
it's ESSENTIAL to place the (enormous amount of) weights on the back and not in front. if you place them in front:
- you may become sterile (not proven)
- they will increase the pelvic anteversion and they will hurt your lower back (proven)

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#33 Re: Front lever question
November 07, 2010, 04:26:11 pm
- they will increase the pelvic anteversion and they will hurt your lower back (proven)

good knowledge, nice one.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#34 Re: Front lever question
November 07, 2010, 05:22:57 pm
sadly it was an experience before becoming a knowledge...
 ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal