UKBouldering.com

Mac support shop in Sheffield (Read 2545 times)

T_B

• forum hero
Mac support shop in Sheffield
October 21, 2010, 02:52:14 pm
I am loathed to return to the dreaded Meadowhall Apple shop after experiencing they're backward sense of customer service a few years ago. I have a problem with my macbook pro. Can anyone recommend somewhere in Sheffield to take it to get looked at? Thanks

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Mac support shop in Sheffield
October 21, 2010, 06:12:17 pm
Book yourself in at the genius bar at the apple shop.. I dunno about the meadowhall one but I've heard nothing but praise for them..

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#2 Re: Mac support shop in Sheffield
October 21, 2010, 08:14:24 pm
aye, if you think booking a 10 minute slot in a week's time is either good customer service or perhaps a measure of the problems experienced with genius apple kit?  to be fair they gave me a new ipod one week after the warranty expired

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: Mac support shop in Sheffield
October 21, 2010, 09:53:00 pm
What kind of issue is it?

underground

• forum hero
#4 Re: Mac support shop in Sheffield
October 22, 2010, 01:28:33 am
What kind of issue is it?

I would also like to know - because I'm told they don't have problems. I'm on the cusp of splashing the cash but don't want to ever get onder the bonnet of a computer again, if i can help it. Spiteful things.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Mac support shop in Sheffield
October 22, 2010, 08:12:59 am
There is no such thing as bug free software, just undiscovered bugs.

Neither hardware nor software are infallible

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: Mac support shop in Sheffield
October 22, 2010, 08:29:29 am
Not yet anyway.

Verified software
Web-browser crashes are annoying, but as far as software malfunctions go, the consequences are mild. With a plane's autopilot or the control room of a nuclear power station, it's another matter. As our lives become ever more saturated with computers, how can we know they won't fail?

Currently, we systematically test all conceivable scenarios under which they might. A better insurance might be logic. A computer program is a sequence of statements and commands that ultimately boil down to logic. Logic can be reduced to mathematical theorems that can be proved correct with an otherwise unattainable certainty.

The mathematical techniques to check software using formal logic have existed since the 1960s, but faster computers, better algorithms and clever theorem-checking programs are now making "verified software" commercially feasible. Software that is logically watertight is also less vulnerable to malicious attack, making this one innovation that could leave us all more secure.

T_B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Mac support shop in Sheffield
October 22, 2010, 10:10:31 am
back to the b*stards in Meadowhall it is then.

(the background to my angst is I bought a Macbook pro when they first came out, motherboard broke just outside warranty, they basically said "what do you expect when it's a new model". Charged me £550 to fix it. Since then there's been loads more in the media about consumer rights and products' life expectancy - should have stood my ground).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal