UKBouldering.com

Sweaty hands on Beastmaker....do you get the tick?? (Read 9065 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
No srsly.

I have stupidly sweaty hands which is an annoying handicap to my climbing 98.9% of the time. 1% of the time it helps because my paws are hot enough to climb even when it's too baltic for anyone else.

And.....0.1% of the time it seems to help because it seems very slightly damp hands grip better on the wood of a Beastmaker than dry lightly chalked ones....  :-\ :devangel:

Is this allowed?? Do the hangs etc have to be completed with normal dry hands, or is it okay to let them sweat (or even wet them) to increase grip on the wood??

Yours confusedly,
Fiend

webbo

• forum hero
you are only cheating yourself.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Is this a real question?

Stubbs

Erm basically what Webbo said: you are only measuring your own gains (or lack thereof) when fingerboarding so it really doesn't matter if you attached 5000 l helium balloons to yourself whilst hanging, as long as you do the same every time so you have a valid comparison...

Paul B

• forum hero
Is this a real question?

Only if this is a real answer?

ShortRound

• addict
I have annoyingly dry hands and expect that no amount of training will ever result in me being able to hold the 45s. There is no where near enough friction.

If I were you I'd chalk this one up as a win for you and your moist hands.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Ok, a more sensible reply. If I had 3 hands, I'd take the tick. If you could tick a fingerboard. Which you can't. Unless you're Nibs.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
You make me wish I had 3 hands.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
I have annoyingly dry hands and expect that no amount of training will ever result in me being able to hold the 45s. There is no where near enough friction.

Spit works a treat

tomtom

• forum hero
it really doesn't matter if you attached 5000 l helium balloons to yourself

Funny you should mention that - I have 1/2 tank of Helium left over from balloon duty at MrsTT's birthday the other week*, and I was wondering how many balloons I would need to get me that extra 2-4cm I need for Deliverance  ;D then I started wondering whether or not they would get in the way - or impinge upon the aerodynamics etc.. as well as where I would attach them. God I hate my brain sometimes  ;D

*its still 1/2 full as theres only so much fun you can have with helium inhaling...

rodma

• forum hero

Funny you should mention that - I have 1/2 tank of Helium left over from balloon duty at MrsTT's birthday the other week*, and I was wondering how many balloons I would need to get me that extra 2-4cm I need for Deliverance  ;D then I started wondering whether or not they would get in the way - or impinge upon the aerodynamics etc.. as well as where I would attach them. God I hate my brain sometimes  ;D

*its still 1/2 full as theres only so much fun you can have with helium inhaling...

Fill up one large balloon with all of the helium and have it attached to a harness via a 30m long bungee cord.

The balloon would be well out of your way and the stretch in the bungee should take up the slack  :thumbsup:

This would have the added benefit of making any photo /film footage look like you are top-roping (maybe use a 3m long bungee instead)  :)

tomtom

• forum hero
Good skills!  ;D

Stubbs

The buoyancy of helium is apparently about 1 gram per litre, so you'd need to work out how many kilos you need to remove to get the extra lift, for each kilo you need 1 m cubed of helium (obviously having to take into account the weight of the balloons).

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I'm amazed you were Conscientious enough to ask this question in the first place, consider all of your ascents confirmed :wave:

tomtom

• forum hero
Well I'm about 78kg, and very close, so2-3 kg should do the job :) 3 cubic meters is probably a c.1.8-2m diameter balloon... Might not have enough helium! :-/

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Depends if it's the soft-as-shite one at the Glasgow climbing wall?  45's are more like 40s there! 

JamieG

• forum hero

Fill up one large balloon with all of the helium and have it attached to a harness via a 30m long bungee cord.

The balloon would be well out of your way and the stretch in the bungee should take up the slack  :thumbsup:

This would have the added benefit of making any photo /film footage look like you are top-roping (maybe use a 3m long bungee instead)  :)

I can only see 'one' potential problem with this plan. As you dyno for the top of deliverance, you are accelerating upwards. So the helium balloons will only help if they accelerate at least as fast as you. Otherwise the sting/rope/bungee will just go slack and you won't be helped. But that is the only problem i see.  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero

I can only see 'one' potential problem with this plan. As you dyno for the top of deliverance, you are accelerating upwards. So the helium balloons will only help if they accelerate at least as fast as you. Otherwise the sting/rope/bungee will just go slack and you won't be helped. But that is the only problem i see.  ;)

You're right but I think thats where the Bungee cord is a stroke of genius - as it will make the lift usable... Probably better if its thin elasitc mind, so it gives you a steady pull... This sounds like the sort of idiotic idea for brainiac or something....  ;D

JamieG

• forum hero
You're right but I think thats where the Bungee cord is a stroke of genius - as it will make the lift usable... Probably better if its thin elasitc mind, so it gives you a steady pull... This sounds like the sort of idiotic idea for brainiac or something....  ;D

True fact. A bungee is the best way forward.

Maybe this lass can help you?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
probably a c.1.8-2m diameter balloon...

Weather balloon would be fine for that. Apparently they stretch to the size of a double decker bus before they burst.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Ok, a more sensible reply. If I had 3 hands, I'd take the tick. If you could tick a fingerboard. Which you can't. Unless you're Nibs.
;D
I am so close to getting an 8a.nu account just for the beastmaker training...
so close...

Paul B

• forum hero
Jens won't be too happy. He certainly wasn't happy about board problems going on there  ;D

webbo

• forum hero

you'd be better sticking the ballon up your ass,then inflating it. :whistle:

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
Jens won't be too happy. He certainly wasn't happy about board problems going on there  ;D

Just use E-grades Nibs, Jens won't have a clue what you're on about.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
that was just the reason I was looking for...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal