UKBouldering.com

Kindle (Read 42352 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
#50 Re: Kindle
January 17, 2011, 03:39:38 pm
Any more post Christmas reactions - in particular, is the 3G version worth the extra money.
Ive got the 3G and mrsTT the regular. If (like me) you're often near a wifi point and don't read stacks there's no point in the 3G. If you read alot and are regularly away from easy wifi I'd go 3G. No discernible difference in size weight or battery life. T

Hmmm, I read loads but am normally near wi-fi. But main use would of course be travelling so maybe it is worth it.

Have you and Mrs TT considered swapping? (Kindles that is)

tomtom

• forum hero
#51 Re: Kindle
January 17, 2011, 03:42:00 pm
Never! :) I recon with a wee bit of planning you could easily stack up the kindle wiu enough material for a few weeks..

andy popp

• forum hero
#52 Re: Kindle
January 17, 2011, 03:48:26 pm
That's what I was thinking.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#53 Re: Kindle
January 17, 2011, 03:54:03 pm
And if you ever do read everything on the Kindle, you could always trade it in at one of those book exchange places you get in hostels/pubs.  :P

tomtom

• forum hero
#54 Re: Kindle
January 17, 2011, 04:28:09 pm
That's what I was thinking.

Yeah, the one advantage of the 3g one is that you supposedly get free web access using the (fairly lame but useable) browser... I've yet to be abroad to see if it works, but from what I've read on other boards it does.. to me this is probably worth the £40 extra over a year... (but not sure if it works properly yet!)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#55 Re: Kindle
January 18, 2011, 09:51:43 am
This is a stupid question but on the 3G version could you log into Facebook or here and browse for free then?

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#56 Re: Kindle
January 18, 2011, 10:30:53 am
Don't think you can use the Kindle to access Facebook or here yet?

I got my 3G version for Christmas and absolutely love it - am on my third book already. Have it on the tube all the time and loving that it's much slimmer and lighter than a lot of the big books I'd otherwise carry around (I basically can't face travelling on the underground/any public transport without a book. Yeah, I'm one of those).

The Kindle books are waaay cheaper - I got War & Peace for 74p and it fits in my pocket. Never read it before as it's too big and unwieldy to carry around.

New bestseller are about £3.

I think I will still buy 'books' that I know I want - for me the Kindle is great for speculative purchases and buying stuff like classics that I've never got round to reading.

Also amazing for holidays - for me it's not that the books get trashed, it's that for a week I'm going to need (well not need but, you know) three or four books as well as guidebooks and that all adds up to space I don't have and weight I don't want to carry.

Kindle from me gets a massive  :thumbsup:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#57 Re: Kindle
January 18, 2011, 10:38:11 am
buying stuff like classics that I've never got round to reading.

Classics that are out of copyright can be obtained for free from Project Guttenberg (unless you like lining Amazons pockets ).

E.g. Tolstoy War & Peace infinitely cheaper than what you paid ;)

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#58 Re: Kindle
January 18, 2011, 01:31:28 pm
Yeah I will check out Project Guttenberg but on Christmas Day was too excited to bother, and also my Dad went on about it so much I got an adverse reaction and paid 74p instead!  :-[

tomtom

• forum hero
#59 Re: Kindle
January 18, 2011, 04:43:16 pm
This is a stupid question but on the 3G version could you log into Facebook or here and browse for free then?

Yup. Text only sites tend to be better (e.g. the mobile/text version of BBC website). Twitter works fine too - seems to use cookies as well so it remembers when you're logged on etc.. whether the 3g works abroad I'm not sure yet.. (as above). Its not the best browsing experience (its pretty poor) but it does the job...

tomtom

• forum hero
#60 Re: Kindle
January 18, 2011, 04:45:57 pm
Classics that are out of copyright can be obtained for free from Project Guttenberg (unless you like lining Amazons pockets ).

They're all free via the Amazon portal/shop/thing as well..

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#61 Re: Kindle
January 18, 2011, 04:53:01 pm

E.g. Tolstoy War & Peace infinitely cheaper than what you paid ;)

They're all free via the Amazon portal/shop/thing as well..

Unless you're gullible excited enough to pay for them....

I got War & Peace for 74p and it fits in my pocket. Never read it before as it's too big and unwieldy to carry around.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#62 Re: Kindle
January 18, 2011, 04:56:30 pm
Joy!  Thank you, tomtom.  It doesn't need to be great quality it would just be hugely handy if it would work on holiday at my folks house, can't be doing without a quick check on Facebook and forums for a whole week, can I?!

I assume it might be even better for FB if used on the mobile site which is moer text based and less photo heavy.

Paul B

• forum hero
#63 Re: Kindle
January 18, 2011, 05:03:14 pm
Joy!  Thank you, tomtom.  It doesn't need to be great quality it would just be hugely handy if it would work on holiday at my folks house, can't be doing without a quick check on Facebook and forums for a whole week, can I?!

Didn't you say you had an Android phone? I'd pick browsing on that over the kindle any day of the week. Just use its wifi connection.

Browsing anything apart from news sites that offer article modes quickly became frustrating!

tomtom

• forum hero
#64 Re: Kindle
January 18, 2011, 05:08:45 pm
Slackers - yes - there are loads of free ones on the kindle site though - I was surprised as my Anna Karenin was free.. there is a free books list/section in the store too...

Magpie - I'd check and double check that the 3g works abroad - I've not tested it and I would have a look at a couple of other forums first... From my (now brief check) some people say it doesnt work - but plenty find it does  :shrug:

"I have just got back from a holiday in France and Belgium, can confirm my web browsing as well as Whispernet worked perfectly! top quality product can't put it down!!

My kindle is latest generation bought from Amazon.co.uk and registered in the UK "

"For the record, I have a UK bought kindle registered to the UK and am currently in mainland Spain and the 3G web browsing works."

(from this - rather confusing thread http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/kindle/forum?cdPage=14&cdThread=TxGPT17594YQYV)

more here http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/kindle/forum?cdThread=Tx2NLA2H9XSF4B5

Rather confusing - but plenty of people seem to find it works.. if you want to wait I'll be off to Tenerife in March and will find out then..

TT

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#65 Re: Kindle
January 18, 2011, 06:44:55 pm

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#66 Re: Kindle
January 18, 2011, 07:36:11 pm
I read last week that Amazon are trialling book lending with Kindle - you can share any of your books with another Kindle user for a period of 30 days.

Slackers - Some of the free classics are crappy old, error strewn translations so sometimes it's worth a quid or two to get a better, more up to date translation. Newer versions also tend to have better footnotes and appendices.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#67 Re: Kindle
January 18, 2011, 10:08:26 pm

Didn't you say you had an Android phone? I'd pick browsing on that over the kindle any day of the week. Just use its wifi connection.
I do have but we don't have wifi in the house yet so it would cost me a fortune to get online with roaming charges.  If I can do 3G on the Kindle it'll be free.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#68 Re: Kindle
January 19, 2011, 12:22:25 am
Slackers - Some of the free classics are crappy old, error strewn translations so sometimes it's worth a quid or two to get a better, more up to date translation. Newer versions also tend to have better footnotes and appendices.

Sounds like the bible.  :P

(Handy to know though, cheers)

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#69 Re: Kindle
January 20, 2011, 07:53:52 am
for the text version of ukb
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?wap2

Duely noted and saved off. Thanks for that.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#70 Re: Kindle
January 20, 2011, 08:13:29 am
for the text version of ukb
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?wap2

Duely noted and saved off. Thanks for that.
or just click on the 'wap2' at the bottom of the page

rich d

• forum hero
#71 Re: Kindle
August 11, 2011, 11:22:35 am
Bit of advice from the UKB Kindle using collective please. I'm thinking of getting one for my mum as she reads loads, has athritus so doesn't enjoy reading or carrying lots of books around. However she's a bit rubbish with computers, so how easy is it to use, but more importantly I don't think she's bought a book for 25years or more - afterall that's what libraries are for. Will the Kindle not get used because she won't buy books for it or is there a vast and decent range of new and old books for free?
Cheers Rich

tomtom

• forum hero
#72 Re: Kindle
August 11, 2011, 11:55:47 am
Yes. I'd say. Its miles easier to hold than a book - as you just click the sides (big button) to turn the pages. you can make the text as large or as small as you like. There are a range of free books, but most are old classics. But there are many - it seems to be a new market - for £1 or less... and some (e.g. the first Larson book) newer books can be found for £2. But you wont get everything you want for free - you'll have to pay for some books.. Though the store is fairly well structured so the cheapies are easy to see. Its like all books, if you want the newly released best seller  - you're gonna have to pay.

My mum gets on fine with it, and she's no tech expert - and she has bad eyes and likes having the text large..

Things to watch though.. they are cheap at the moment - but will probably get cheaper in the next few months as there is a new version of the kindle coming out in the next month or two or three (apparently). This may have touch screen, even some colour.. So yuo may want to hold out for this, or wait and see how much the old ones drop in price even further etc...

To get the books on the device you need a wireless network (or to be near one to 'load up' the kindle) or get the 3g version which is about £40 more...  which works everywhere etc.. (in the world too. and no subscription etc..).

Battery life is well over a month - maybe 2 or 3 - its so long I've probably only charged mine 4 or 5 times. If you have the wifi/3g on it goes much faster, but you just switch that off etc...

I would have thought it would be great for people with arthritus as its lighter than a book, easier to hold and no page turning.

T.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#73 Re: Kindle
August 11, 2011, 12:00:00 pm
Plenty of free books in a multitude of formats from Project Gutenberg.

rich d

• forum hero
#74 Re: Kindle
August 11, 2011, 12:07:11 pm
Thanks guys, she's got wireless at home and I'd set it up for her. I'll have a look at project guttenberg for freebies.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal