UKBouldering.com

Kindle (Read 42486 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#25 Re: Kindle
October 09, 2010, 10:34:09 pm
Umm, no. I just noticed that some of what he had typed had moved into the middle of the previous sentence, which happens on our Arser laptop.

Paul B

• forum hero
#26 Re: Kindle
October 10, 2010, 03:40:51 pm
I often knock the touchpad on my AD150 and end up in the middle of the last sentence. Its f*cking annoying.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#27 Re: Kindle
October 10, 2010, 06:56:05 pm
Not as annoying as ours which does it when you bring your thumb within an inch of the touchpad.

tomtom

• forum hero
#28 Re: Kindle
October 10, 2010, 07:03:04 pm
Not as annoying as ours which does it when you bring your thumb within an inch of the touchpad.

I had grief with this on an HP laptop, and got a new touchpad driver that has a 1 sec delay, so you cant tap click until you've not been typing for more than 1 sec. Makes it alot easier to use..

Paul B

• forum hero
#29 Re: Kindle
December 10, 2010, 07:00:49 pm
Anybody have any beta on covers for kindles (Xmas present?)... also noticed that there are a LOT of books appearing on P2P networks, as well as ones with 4k entries!

tomtom

• forum hero
#30 Re: Kindle
December 10, 2010, 07:15:40 pm
I got one (the 3g ones) for my birthday in mid Nov (thanks MrsTT  :thumbsup: ) so we're now the sad kindle couple..  :-\

Its great. Long long battery life (MrsTT has only just charged hers up since the initial charge - and she got hers in early Oct..) really easy screen to read. Light and simple. Its not a 'tablet' and the web browser is basic, but fine if you need to use it.. Saved my head on a long delayed train journey back from Soton a couple of weeks back..

I've not spent a penny on books for it yet - just got free ones. Loads of 'classics' out of copyright are free.. working my way through shackletons thingy at the moment.. There are also some free 'loss leaders' whereby (I think) well known authors will give away one copy of their work, so you're tempted to buy their own. MrsTT has an 'Agatha Raisin' addiction - and the first ones are c.£2.50 up to £8-9 for the latest....

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#31 Re: Kindle
December 10, 2010, 07:19:13 pm
My case is similar to these.
Stiff would be a better description than hard, but it does the job.
(Stop sn**gering GCW).

tomtom

• forum hero
#32 Re: Kindle
December 10, 2010, 07:25:34 pm
F*ck, misread your post Paul...  :spank: dick...

I got one of these... a little (not much) too big but fine.. only £4 sheets. I have one of the leather amazon proper ones (that clips into the side) but I dont rate it - as its  about as heavy as the kindle itself !
TT

Number 4...

Paul B

• forum hero
#33 Re: Kindle
December 10, 2010, 11:44:01 pm
thanks, ended up ordering her a tuff-luv leather case.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#34 Re: Kindle
December 11, 2010, 07:30:49 am
I often knock the touchpad on my AD150 and end up in the middle of the last sentence. Its f*cking annoying.
Yeah bit shit. Function + F7 disables/enables the touchpad on my D260 which helps if you remember to use which I rarely do.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#35 Re: Kindle
December 11, 2010, 09:45:25 am
I've not spent a penny on books for it yet - just got free ones. Loads of 'classics' out of copyright are free.. working my way through shackletons thingy at the moment.

Presumably you've clocked Project Gutenberg.

tomtom

• forum hero
#36 Re: Kindle
December 13, 2010, 01:50:26 pm
Yup seen that. Though most of the free-ebooks sites have the same shizzle. I'd like to know where I can get ripped (copied) versions of recent books though... Maybe theres a thread in this..

chris05

• forum abuser
#37 Re: Kindle
December 13, 2010, 02:10:27 pm
Yup seen that. Though most of the free-ebooks sites have the same shizzle. I'd like to know where I can get ripped (copied) versions of recent books though... Maybe theres a thread in this..

I believe the usual sites for ripped music also do books, although I wouldn't know....  :whistle:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#38 Re: Kindle
December 13, 2010, 02:15:58 pm
I'd like to know where I can get ripped (copied) versions of recent books though... Maybe theres a thread in this..

Traditionally explicit discussion of illegal software/content is discouraged/banned on UKB (presumably under the "illegal content" clause of the Moderation Policy).

blacky

• addict

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#40 Re: Kindle
December 13, 2010, 06:18:51 pm
Good review on TheOnlinePhotographer today.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#41 Re: Kindle
December 13, 2010, 06:40:46 pm
There's one in my Christmas stocking from Mrs FD  :).  As a keen reader and forever on the road I'm looking forward to not having to lug a big book or two around in my bag.  Also the fact that it is just a book (albeit an electronic one) and really designed to be read in black and white rather than a multifunctional computing device is very attractive.

Will it stop me buying books? Almost certainly not in the same way that I still buy vinyl alongside listening to spotify and mp3's.

tomtom

• forum hero
#42 Re: Kindle
December 13, 2010, 08:24:56 pm
As a keen reader and forever on the road I'm looking forward to not having to lug a big book or two around in my bag.  Also the fact that it is just a book (albeit an electronic one) and really designed to be read in black and white rather than a multifunctional computing device is very attractive.

Will it stop me buying books? Almost certainly not in the same way that I still buy vinyl alongside listening to spotify and mp3's.

:agree: spot on.

Paul B

• forum hero
#43 Re: Kindle
December 26, 2010, 06:16:08 pm
I was given the task of sorting out my Mums kindle about 10 minutes ago. I'm seriously impressed by the screen but I thought the menu system could be a little better and the web browser is woeful.

Its currently ingesting a 'few' books I 'found' however I can't quite work out how its best to flick/browse (by author?) etc. on the kindle once you have a large volume of books on it?

I'm just dumping things in the docs folder:

docs>author>title>(jpg + *.mobi files)

They all appear in my recently viewed list instantly but that can't just be it?

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#44 Re: Kindle
December 26, 2010, 09:12:05 pm
Its currently ingesting a 'few' books I 'found' however I can't quite work out how its best to flick/browse (by author?) etc. on the kindle once you have a large volume of books on it?

Press the up arrow to 'Showing All Items  By Most Recent First' and then scroll right to order by Author, Title, or Collection.

I was given the task of sorting out my Mums kindle about 10 minutes ago. I'm seriously impressed by the screen but I thought the menu system could be a little better and the web browser is woeful.

Web browsing is something it can do rather than should do, that's why it's hidden under 'Experimental'. If you need to use it you can make it a bit better by using it in Landscape mode and switching to 'Actual Size'.

Paul B

• forum hero
#45 Re: Kindle
December 27, 2010, 12:00:11 am
Press the up arrow to 'Showing All Items  By Most Recent First' and then scroll right to order by Author, Title, or Collection.

Ta - still not all that great when you pile masses on at once

Web browsing is something it can do rather than should do, that's why it's hidden under 'Experimental'. If you need to use it you can make it a bit better by using it in Landscape mode and switching to 'Actual Size'.

True but it means they no longer have need of a netbook to check emails when on their hols as the kindle 'can' do it and I'm amazed that so far this is the best they've managed!

psychomansam

• forum hero
#46 Re: Kindle
December 27, 2010, 12:57:26 am
www.demonoid.me

I use my laptop and my phone as readers...

andy popp

• forum hero
#47 Re: Kindle
January 17, 2011, 02:11:45 pm
Any more post Christmas reactions - in particular, is the 3G version worth the extra money.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#48 Re: Kindle
January 17, 2011, 02:26:37 pm
I bought my folks the 3G version and they love it, my main reason for going 3G was that they're moving to Spain this year and I still wanted them to be able to use it there.  Not sure how much of a difference it'll make but it seemed like the safest option for them.

tomtom

• forum hero
#49 Re: Kindle
January 17, 2011, 03:25:16 pm
Any more post Christmas reactions - in particular, is the 3G version worth the extra money.
Ive got the 3G and mrsTT the regular. If (like me) you're often near a wifi point and don't read stacks there's no point in the 3G. If you read alot and are regularly away from easy wifi I'd go 3G. No discernible difference in size weight or battery life. T

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal