UKBouldering.com

A kilo of apples? (Read 7974 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
A kilo of apples?
October 04, 2010, 01:30:40 am
Not this is not a Stonelove quotes thread...

A few weekends ago we popped down to see the almost-in-laws and found their apple tree to be ripe with fruit which they didn't seem particularly bothered about using. Hence ("running around like a dog with 6 cocks"  :shrug:) we bagged a load and now our freezer is literally full of apples (it seemed like a good idea at the time).

I was hoping the good folk of UKB might have some decent recipes (no American Pie suggestions please), Chutneys (the River Cottage recipe doesn't do much for me), Crumbles etc. as I'm semmingly drawing a blank.

Thanks

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: A kilo of apples?
October 04, 2010, 06:21:02 am
cider  :beer2:  :alky:

andy popp

• forum hero
#2 Re: A kilo of apples?
October 04, 2010, 06:38:02 am
Crumbles etc. as I'm semmingly drawing a blank.

Apple crumble?

dave

#3 Re: A kilo of apples?
October 04, 2010, 07:45:14 am
we're in the same boat, infact our freezers is already full of apples from previous years.

I recon you can't go far wrong with the crumble suggestion, just make sure you include cinnamon (or a few blackberries), and some oats in the topping.

And certainly don't get your cock pierced.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#4 Re: A kilo of apples?
October 04, 2010, 08:11:39 am
There's shedloads of things you can do with apples ..... Tarte Tatin , apple strudel , apple fritters ,apple charlotte , apple alexandra , apple hat , to name but a few ....... Alternatively , you could just turn them into sauce , freeze it and use it later to make pies etc , also a good additive when you're making jam ......

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: A kilo of apples?
October 04, 2010, 08:23:58 am
My parents have the same thing every year. They cut them up, make a really simple puree (microwave is quickest) and put them all in 'portion' sized plastic bags in the freezer (takes up less room than boxes). Then they just defrost as required (for crumble - pie etc..)
T

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: A kilo of apples?
October 04, 2010, 08:51:06 am
I struggle to see anything beyond apple crumble. Mix in a few blackberries as per Dave's suggestion (or are they over now down south - just coming in up here).

Nigel

• forum hero
#7 Re: A kilo of apples?
October 04, 2010, 10:35:07 am
I've been through a similar quandry with my tree. Crumbles are the obvious thing (if it ain't broke don't fix it eh?). Agree that oats, cinnamon, and ideally blackberries make all the difference. I also make a variety of things with puff pastry. Available ready made in the chiller cabinets (next to butter) in the shops, just roll it out, put some puree in, fold over and bake (remember a couple of vent holes). Voila, chausson pomme. Also, tarte aux pommes, which look amazing. Roll out pastry, put a layer of creme patissiere down (basically custard), then neatly arrange slices of apple. In oven, cool, glaze with apricot jam. Easy. The best is tarte tatin, which again is a doddle. Whip up some caramel in a pan, pour into baking tin, arrange chunks of apple (about quarter sized), lay a layer of puff pastry over top and shove down sides. Cook, and flip upside down. Lovely.

Other things I have used them for are mango chutney (apples are a large part of this recipe). I have also just discovered that the one thing you generate loads of but usually chuck away i.e. the peel, can be made into either cider vinegar or a tart jelly with minimum effort. I'll be doing this next time I use them.

Luthor

• menacing presence

fried

• forum hero
#9 Re: A kilo of apples?
October 04, 2010, 11:00:41 am
If you're making crumble, may I suggest adding breadcrumbs (packet stuff) to the topping. It makes it really crispy!

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: A kilo of apples?
October 04, 2010, 04:30:58 pm
The Puff pastry sounds like a great idea. Cheers nige (we're like the f*cking Womens Institute).

Other things I have used them for are mango chutney (apples are a large part of this recipe). I have also just discovered that the one thing you generate loads of but usually chuck away i.e. the peel, can be made into either cider vinegar or a tart jelly with minimum effort. I'll be doing this next time I use them.

Link? As we used tonnes of cider vinegar last Christmas.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#11 Re: A kilo of apples?
October 04, 2010, 04:40:19 pm
This thread has inspired me so much that I've got a tarte tatin in the oven as we speak  :great: ........

erm, sam

• forum hero
#12 Re: A kilo of apples?
October 04, 2010, 07:35:02 pm
I spent the weekend with kids and family picking a million apples and pressing them for juice and cider.

Day 1: Ahh, the good life.

Day 2: The not so good life.

The results:This was after day 1, after day 2 we had another barrel and a load more juice.

You do need quite lot of apples though. We did something like 20 sacks of apples, with each sack containing approx 4 bucket loads

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#13 Re: A kilo of apples?
October 04, 2010, 08:41:38 pm
My sister's garden has more apples than their dog can destroy. I created an apple press using a newspaper-log-making-device.

When I say created, I mean more like substituted. Apples go in, brother in law sits on handles and apple juice flows out.

Hey-Presto!

The world first Yorkshire grown Argentinian cider mulch.

Not ready yet  :(

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#14 Re: A kilo of apples?
October 22, 2010, 03:51:17 pm
gache melee a taste of my childhood

Paul B

• forum hero
#15 Re: A kilo of apples?
November 11, 2010, 12:38:34 am
the River Cottage recipe doesn't do much for me

Contrary to the above (I think it was the courgettes in the RC pickle that didn't do it for me), we went for the apple + medlar chutney (with pears instead of apples).

The salt content seemed a little crazy so we cut it back a lot. The results are fantastic. Its somewhere between a mango chutney and a Brinjal pickle in flavour. If anyone has still got any apples leftover I'd highly recommend it.

ps - its a bitch to peel defrosted apples, my god they go soft!

northerngreg

• player
  • slayer
#16 Re: A kilo of apples?
November 11, 2010, 11:25:53 am
I spent the weekend with kids and family picking a million apples and pressing them for juice and cider.

If you are hoping to store those milk bottles full of juice be careful! The natural yeast will make it ferment and those weak plastic bottles could easily rupture!

This cake is amazing:

Clickage

I made one last week and it had all round approval.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:30:54 am by northerngreg »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal