UKBouldering.com

Locking shoulder (Read 1480 times)

Tommy

• junky
Locking shoulder
October 03, 2010, 11:22:04 am
Has anyone out there had it where their shoulder locks in a low position (i.e. with your hand down by your waist) and you can't raise your arm (straight or bent) without hideous shooting pains in the area at the top of your deltoid and at the tip of your clavicle?

I keep keep getting it at random times like driving or sitting down on the floor to do some DIY. Obviously I should probably go to the physio, but has anyone any experience of this just disappearing by itself?

I've had it on and off for about 4 months now, but the frequency isn't increasing. I'll have a guess that it's some kind of nerve impingement....

Go to physio or ride it out???

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Locking shoulder
October 03, 2010, 11:35:15 am
I've had something similar for years, though it locks in a higher position. Saw a few physios who didn't really manage to help. In the end I took up yoga, which sorted it as long as I do a bit regularly. I suspect mine was caused by a muscle imbalance (ie overdeveloped back from climbing) preventing the joint from sitting correctly. In the short term I'd do some press-ups, but I think yoga is better long term as it covers so much more.

Tommy

• junky
#2 Re: Locking shoulder
October 03, 2010, 03:56:15 pm
Ah right, interesting. It's always a difficult one going to physios as I always getting injured and also, only about 25% problems are ever helped by actually going to them! Mostly I suspect this is because I'm hoping for some kind of miracle cure and it's not available.

The Yoga word keeps on getting mentioned. Will it make me a bendy gritstone meister like you? ;-)

Thanks for suggestions.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Locking shoulder
October 03, 2010, 04:12:45 pm
Could represent some cuff pathology/ impingement/ tendinopathy.

If it doesn't settle, see someone with an interest in shoulders.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Locking shoulder
October 03, 2010, 08:44:04 pm
Could represent some cuff pathology/ impingement/ tendinopathy.

If it doesn't settle, see someone with an interest in shoulders.

Magpie?  :shrug:

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#5 Re: Locking shoulder
October 04, 2010, 11:11:10 pm
As GCW says, these symptoms could be caused by a number of problems, many of which will be improved by less time locking off, and a little more time with some exercises that engage / strengthen your rotator cuff.

I suspect that like many climbers (actually all sportspeople) , when something hurts they sort of know vaugely what needs doing/ not doing, but they'd like a miracle button pushed to make it go away, instead of doing tedious, repetitive excercises when they'd rather be campussing / watching telly / in the pub. This certainly applies to me. Go do some yoga, its more interesting and fulfilling than therabands. ;-)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal