UKBouldering.com

recommend me a phone (Read 30057 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#25 Re: recommend me a phone
February 15, 2011, 03:22:55 pm
So I've finally decided to get a smart phone of some sort, and looking at packages (wahey!).

Realistically if I only use phone for looking at forums / emails / facebook and some forecasting sites / webcams and possibly the occasional vimeo video, how much internet would I use a month?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#26 Re: recommend me a phone
February 15, 2011, 03:27:08 pm
Almost definitely < 1Gb/month unless the forums/facebook/emails have a very high number of pictures embedded/included.  Also browsing web-sites with Flash embedded will up the bandwidth usage (but thats not an issue on iFerns  ;)).

But then once you have one it changes your usage pattern, for example you might decide to fork out for Spotify and use that on the go (which will certainly use up > 1Gb/month).

Paul B

• forum hero
#27 Re: recommend me a phone
February 15, 2011, 03:41:27 pm
if you're on a low data package are people not worried about the resultant charges for straying beyond your limit (I know about 3G Watchdog)?

I'd be very careful about reading Fair Usage Policies (thoroughly!) and interogating staff about what it actually means to you.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#28 Re: recommend me a phone
February 15, 2011, 03:48:35 pm
But then once you have one it changes your usage pattern, for example you might decide to fork out for Spotify and use that on the go

Yeah, that's kind of the concern, especially if going away somwhere. If it's got a few GB of music storage I would almost certainly not use Spotify though, but I get your point.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#29 Re: recommend me a phone
February 15, 2011, 03:58:13 pm
But then once you have one it changes your usage pattern, for example you might decide to fork out for Spotify and use that on the go

Yeah, that's kind of the concern, especially if going away somwhere. If it's got a few GB of music storage I would almost certainly not use Spotify though, but I get your point.

Most phones (certainly the HTC selection) take micro-SD cards, so you can for example grab a 16Gb one and cram it full of music (or go for 32Gb or 2 x 16Gb and swap over once you've got bored of the tunes on the first).

I've only got an 8Gb card as that was where the price-point suited me (but 16Gb are coming down to an almost reasonable price so I might update that soon).

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#30 Re: recommend me a phone
February 15, 2011, 04:13:36 pm
Pretty much can't fault the HTC Desire, especially on Android 2.2.

Like slackers says - plenty of expansion through Micro SD. Not sure what the battery is like playing music, but I don't use it for that, so not sure.

I generally charge it every second night and use it for the very same browsing you're planning. I've never gone over the 500Mb/month. You've got decent cameras, so I'm guessing you're not going to be to bothered about the "average" camera.

Do it!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#31 Re: recommend me a phone
February 15, 2011, 04:18:42 pm
I generally charge it every second night and use it for the very same browsing you're planning.

Anyone who sits at a computer all day can simply plug the phone in and charge it at work.  I only ever charge mine at home at weekends.

Paul B

• forum hero
#32 Re: recommend me a phone
February 15, 2011, 04:20:48 pm
Anyone who sits at a computer all day can simply plug the phone in and charge it at work.  I only ever charge mine at home at weekends.

That can't be good for your battery?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#33 Re: recommend me a phone
February 15, 2011, 04:32:04 pm
Can't find where I read it but when I got my N95 I read a comparison someone had done where they'd used different charging strategies and it seemed to have no appreciable effect on battery life.

This thread suggests "trickle mode" is utilised and deposits form when charging which reduces cell life but it sounds like Android handles this via some clever trickle charging (and obviously stopping the charge when the battery is full, hence why the light changes from orange to green).

My battery is a fraction over a year old and seems to last roughly the same amount of time as when new.

I'm happy to be convinced otherwise though if anyone has evidence to suggest otherwise?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#34 Re: recommend me a phone
February 15, 2011, 04:33:26 pm
And the joy of the HTC is if your batt does start to die or you just want a spare you can get one for £15 and change it in seconds.

Paul B

• forum hero
#35 Re: recommend me a phone
February 15, 2011, 04:35:23 pm
Its just a best practice thing thats stuck in my head (sorry I know you like your sources), certainly for Eneloops etc. I constantly hear of people using the "Refresh" options on chargers (Strobist group).

More on topic; I love my little wildfire. I'm glad I didn't go for one of the larger models (mostly, processing speed is a bit sluggish when heavily multi-tasking. I'm more psyched to follow android than any other OS, I was handed a Symbian phone the other day and it was terrible.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#36 Re: recommend me a phone
February 15, 2011, 04:42:30 pm
Its just a best practice thing thats stuck in my head (sorry I know you like your sources), certainly for Eneloops etc. I constantly hear of people using the "Refresh" options on chargers (Strobist group).

Done some more searching and this says the following (along with other useful information)...

Just like couch potatoes, batteries need exercise. The chemicals in Lithium-Ion batteries respond best to regular recharging. So if you have a laptop, don’t keep it plugged in all the time; go ahead and let it drain to about 40 or 50 percent of capacity, and then recharge your computer.

The life of a Lithium-Ion battery can be measured in charge cycles. A charge cycle occurs when 100% of a battery’s capacity is used. Let’s say you use 50% of your laptop’s battery one day, charge it overnight, and then you use 50% of the battery again the next day. Even after charging it back up again, you’ll have only had one charge cycle occur. Most laptop batteries are rated for a useful life of at least 300-500 charge cycles, but high-quality, properly maintained batteries can retain up to 80% of their original life, even after 300 cycles.

I've experienced a problem with a laptop which I used almost exclusively plugged in all the time and the battery barely holds any charge.

As I say, no problems with this practice with this year old phone.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#37 Re: recommend me a phone
February 16, 2011, 09:37:37 am
I charge mine by plugging it into the pc at work too. Works fine. I just unplug it once the light goes green.

Surely this is actually better (if anything) than plugging it in overnight when it will be fully charged after about an hour but stay plugged in for hours after.

:shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#38 Re: recommend me a phone
February 16, 2011, 09:42:18 am
I charge mine by plugging it into the pc at work too. Works fine. I just unplug it once the light goes green.

Surely this is actually better (if anything) than plugging it in overnight when it will be fully charged after about an hour but stay plugged in for hours after.

I don't think it charges once the battery is full., it uses the trickle mode mentioned here.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#39 Re: recommend me a phone
February 16, 2011, 09:47:45 am
I love my HTC Desire HD.  It does everything you want and is really easy to use.  It can do lots of more complicated stuff too, if you are so inclined.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#40 Re: recommend me a phone
February 16, 2011, 09:52:52 am

I don't think it charges once the battery is full., it uses the trickle mode mentioned here.

Hence the "(if anything)". I can't see how it would make any difference either way!?

Paul B

• forum hero
#41 Re: recommend me a phone
February 16, 2011, 10:05:51 am
I love my HTC Desire HD.  It does everything you want and is really easy to use.  It can do lots of more complicated stuff too, if you are so inclined.

its massive.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#42 Re: recommend me a phone
February 16, 2011, 10:19:18 am

its massive.

I'm due an upgrade in a week and was wondering about the Desire vs Desire HD. Ended up going into the Orange shop and checking them out side-by-side.

Yeah, the HD's big, but after thinking about it most of the time I carry my phone in coat / suit jacket pocket or a bag, the rest of the time it's either on my desk or coffee table so think I'm going to go for it.

Think the only other factor is that it looks like I can get the Desire gratis but the HD's going to set me back £100 - though from previous upgrades I'm assuming that should be subject to negotiation.

...and before tomtom and Cofe get started, for my contract Orange want £230 for the iPhone4!

:o

SA Chris

• forum hero
#43 Re: recommend me a phone
February 16, 2011, 10:20:41 am
Yeah, that was my concern - the wildfire seems like it's an OK size to use, without being too big. Anything will feel bulky compared to the Nokia 1100 I am currently using though (don't laugh).

dave

#44 Re: recommend me a phone
February 16, 2011, 10:26:26 am
I've just got a motor roller defy, seems ok so far. Fully waterproof and a glass screen, and its a nice size. Battery life is toilet if you beast the data/wifi/games but thats par for smartphones.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#45 Re: recommend me a phone
February 16, 2011, 10:42:35 am
Yeah, that was my concern - the wildfire seems like it's an OK size to use, without being too big. Anything will feel bulky compared to the Nokia 1100 I am currently using though (don't laugh).

It may seem bulky, but when you start browsing web-pages it'll seem tiny (as you'll be used to using the screen you're reading this from).

Paul B

• forum hero
#46 Re: recommend me a phone
February 16, 2011, 10:48:40 am
UKB is one of the few things where it doesn't work well... some kind of Tapatalk implementation, or even better a free version might help (haven't found the latter)!

(or you could use the m. site).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:59:26 am by Paul B »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#47 Re: recommend me a phone
February 16, 2011, 10:54:43 am
The Desire HD is fucking huge. Thing is, I want something that still feels / looks something like a phone rather than a tablet, but that's just me. Have had no web page / screen size issues with the Legend.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#48 Re: recommend me a phone
February 16, 2011, 10:59:32 am
Perhaps get down your local mobile shop and fondle the devices (I'd ignore the shop assistants as in my experience know less than you'll have gone and found out yourself and haven't a clue about the contract their trying hard to sell you, or if they do they'll bullshit you to get a sale and earn their commission).

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#49 Re: recommend me a phone
February 16, 2011, 11:16:51 am
It is big but I only ever carry it in a handbag so it's not an issue for me.  I wanted one with a big screen as my whole reason for getting a smart phone type thing was so I could go online and muck about, the screen is great for that.  I can see it might be a bit pointless if you were mainly using it as a phone with internet as back up, it's not exactly neat, but if web browsing is your main thing then it's ideal.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal