UKBouldering.com

recommend me a phone (Read 30108 times)

joeb

• addict
recommend me a phone
September 23, 2010, 12:47:27 pm
I'm starting up my own business and need a phone and a deal that will suit. I need a small amount of web access, e mail, a high level of talk time and of course good coverage. My wife has a blackberry curve which seems to have held up well over the last few months but have read lots of mixed reviews on there new products, battery life, keys breaking. There are some good deals on htc but know very little about them as a brand ?Any advice greatly appreciated.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: recommend me a phone
September 23, 2010, 01:05:27 pm
I've been very happy with an HTC Hero from T-mobile on a business plan (~£30 a month, unlimited calls (including to Europe and US, only used former though), texts & internet).  Can refer you if interested (both get some cash back).

They all run Android which is very easy to use.  HTC Desire is very nice, new HTC Desire HD even more so (doubt its widely available though as its only just been announced).

Coverage is pretty good in cities, less so in remote areas, but will improve from from October onwards when T-mobile/Orange customers will be able to roam on each others networks.

Wife has same phone on Orange and frequently has no connection when I do.

Others thoughts on phones (Nokia/iPhone/Blackberry/HTC/etc.) are here (along with lots of other waffle).

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#2 Re: recommend me a phone
September 23, 2010, 01:18:24 pm
How about this?

Seriously though, I recently swapped from a Blackberry Bold to an iPhone. For purely business use the Blackberry is massively better. As a toy the iPhone is more fun. I would say avoid the iPhone if you want it for business the battery won't last a full day if you use it often.

joeb

• addict
#3 Re: recommend me a phone
September 23, 2010, 01:25:35 pm
Thanks for that, have read the nokia vs thread before. Not sure about t mobile in oxfordshire seems the coverage is not always great. Good to hear a positive response about the phone itself though, do i have to have a business contract ? whats the difference as i only need uk calls. The iphone is not on my radar and thanks for a supporting view did not realise the battery was poor on this too.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: recommend me a phone
September 23, 2010, 01:31:37 pm
Good point on batteries, most smart phones will last a day or so, but it depends how you use it, runs down quicker if you have roaming on and it set up to check for weather/tweets/updates regularly.

I didn't necessarily need a business contract (I'm "self-employed" btq  ;)), but at the time it seemed like one of the better deals I could find (was referred by someone else on here, can't remember who).  If you can find an alternative deal with unlimited calls/text/data or more tailored to what you use go for it (bear in mind you may start using internet more with a new phone/interface).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5 Re: recommend me a phone
September 23, 2010, 02:01:44 pm
Battery life is shit on all smart phones but as slackers says you can do stuff to maximise it. I can get a day of pretty heavy use out of my HTC Legend but it was a fair bit less before I started using the Juice Defender app. One thing to consider if you are going to hammer the battery and be out and about a lot is carrying a spare. They cost fuck all and with HTC phones it takes a few seconds to change it (apparently not the case with an iphone).

I've been on T-Moble, Vodafone and O2 and O2's coverage has been the best by miles. Like slackers said the T-Moblie / Orange merger should improve theirs but for now I'd still go with O2. Also their customer service is light years ahead of other providers I've been with (which is why I've stuck with them for a while now).

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#6 Re: recommend me a phone
September 23, 2010, 02:52:03 pm
Got a HTC Desire. Best phone ever. Except battery isn't great...

Stubbs

#7 Re: recommend me a phone
September 23, 2010, 03:05:49 pm
Battery on Blackberry Bold lasts about 3 days (my work phone) with fairly heavy call usage and picking up emails, it has the small amount of web access you're after, and is probably the best choice if you are going to be using Outlook for work as you can sync your calendar and contacts, etc.  It's good and easy to use and feels pretty sturdy (I've already dropped it a few times).  Not sure what sort of price plans are available.

I love my G1 and iFerns are pretty, but they are essentially toys compared to BB's, and the battery life will be a real issue if you are going to be out and about a lot (obviously not so if you're going to be sat in an office most of the time).

joeb

• addict
#8 Re: recommend me a phone
September 24, 2010, 10:57:18 am
Off topic here but did not warrant a new topic, my boss bought an iphone inlocked put his sim in last night and all worked well its not the latest one. He attached it to his itunes last night and downloaded the latest software and now it will not recognise the sim any suggestions ?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: recommend me a phone
September 24, 2010, 11:05:23 am
Off topic here but did not warrant a new topic, my boss bought an iphone inlocked put his sim in last night and all worked well its not the latest one. He attached it to his itunes last night and downloaded the latest software and now it will not recognise the sim any suggestions ?

Get an Android based phone  :P

joeb

• addict
#10 Re: recommend me a phone
September 24, 2010, 11:13:58 am
if he didn't pay my wages i would tell him maybe when i leave next month. any other ideas

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: recommend me a phone
September 24, 2010, 11:17:59 am
Nope, don't have an iphone (or use itunes) so haven't a clue.

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#12 Re: recommend me a phone
September 24, 2010, 02:38:12 pm
Get the new Nokia N8 (and help keep me in a job)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#13 Re: recommend me a phone
September 24, 2010, 02:59:18 pm
One of my friends did the jailbreak thing with his iPhone and then ended up having the same issue with his sim card not being recognised and all kinds of stuff going wrong.  I think in the end he found some way to put it back to it's factory settings or something online and that helped, maybe try having a Google, I thin a lot of people have similar issues. 

Really, the short answer is either get an Android in the first place or don't fuck about with your iPhone.  ;D

joeb

• addict
#14 Re: recommend me a phone
September 24, 2010, 03:13:51 pm
just glad the phone is not mine  :)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#15 Re: recommend me a phone
September 24, 2010, 03:20:45 pm
Get the new Nokia N8 (and help keep me in a job)

I was going to wait for this but got impatient / worried about the software so got the Legend.

It does look great but will there ever be enough stuff developed for symbian to make it a goer?

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#16 Re: recommend me a phone
September 24, 2010, 04:02:51 pm
I don't know to be honest. There's been a massive push towards 'software and services' here over the last couple of years. Tons of stuff coming though at the minute, but whether it'll be enough to really compete and pull some market share back I don't know.
The N8 is looking good though, they just need to pull their finger out and get it in production. Apparently they've taken more pre-orders for it than any other phone ever.
The ones around the corner are looking pretty hot too.

tomtom

• forum hero
#17 Re: recommend me a phone
September 24, 2010, 09:37:12 pm
You used to be able to roll back the Os version on the ifern, but with 4.1 and the latest iTunes this doesn't seem to be possible. Jailbreaking is piss and safe (when I did it on my ifern3) but not ready yet for the latest Os release 4.1. The good news is that the jailbreakers have found a weakness in 4.1 so it will be jailbreakable and folk are just waiting.
Newest iferns have better battery life but jaspersharpe rift if you use it all day it's wastin juice lighting up that big screen and downloading data etc..

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#18 Re: recommend me a phone
September 25, 2010, 03:40:41 pm
Don't, don't, don't get a Nokia N97. :wank:
Shit in too many ways to even begin.
So many bugs and errors, get anything except an N97.
Blackberry, Ifone...just not a N97.

Anyone want to buy a N97? I'm also willing to swap for a Blackberry/Ifone? ;)

joeb

• addict
#19 Re: recommend me a phone
September 29, 2010, 01:32:18 pm
thanks to slack line i have a new htc legend,  ;D. I have to be honest i don't really have a clue so ideas on this app type stuff like truted sites ? and useful things ? Assume i know nothing and you will probably be over estimating my knowledge base, thanks.

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#20 Re: recommend me a phone
September 29, 2010, 04:11:02 pm
Drewski, have you ever updated the software on it?
Undoubtably won't make an N97 into a decent phone but might sort out some of the bugs.

Forgive me if i'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but so many people who have asked me to fix their phone for them ( :shrug: I get get paid to break em, not fix em) haven't even bothered doing this. Anyone who buys a phone shortly after it's launched and then doesn't bother updating the software regularly can only expect a phone full of bugs. The quality required for a first sales release is so poor in comparison to what it'll be a couple of months down the line, it's untrue.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#21 Re: recommend me a phone
September 29, 2010, 04:22:27 pm
All well and good, bit most major phone companies brand them and are very slow at filtering these down to users. Don't think I ever git an update for my N95 for the wi months I was on 3, despitr several being available from Nokia.

@joeb : trusted sites no more of an Issue than browsing the net in general. Buy apps through the Android market place & you'll be fine. Will suggest some apps later when not posting from phone.

underground

• forum hero
#22 Re: recommend me a phone
September 29, 2010, 11:08:47 pm

I didn't necessarily need a business contract (I'm "self-employed" btq  ;)), but at the time it seemed like one of the better deals I could find (was referred by someone else on here, can't remember who). 

It was me! Incidentally, I just added a second line to my business contract, it shares the free minutes, texts and unlimited internet I already have, and I got a free HTC Desire to use with it.

PM me for details  ;D

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#23 Re: recommend me a phone
September 30, 2010, 07:14:21 am
Done the works mate.
Updated everything, erased unnecessary file (one of the main issues is memory based) etc.
Taken it back to the 3 shop where they've done the same (then shook their heads in understanding and disappointment).
Just plain crappy. :thumbsdown:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal