UKBouldering.com

To ipod up or not? (Read 2398 times)

VMS118

To ipod up or not?
September 20, 2010, 03:59:46 pm
Hey! I'm pretty new to climbing and very new to this forum so if a break any forum etiquette or climbing rules please let me know (nicely mind) Bit of a random one really...Whilst training for the other sports I do, I often listen to my ipod when alone. This helps my motivation ALOT. My question is, if I am at the local gym without my usual crowd just bouldering away - is it considered a big no no to listen to music at a respectable volume whilst bouldering? i.e. I am the only one who can hear it, and if others wanted my attention I'd notice.

Cheers guys and gals

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: To ipod up or not?
September 20, 2010, 04:03:02 pm
Some do, some don't.

Its important to be aware of whats behind/underneath you though, even if you're coming off in a controlled manner.

At the same time its important for other wall users to be aware of climbers and not walk directly underneath people climbing.

Headphones can impede both of these, but at the same time deaf people climb too and don't have a problem.

Just get the wall to play some decent music  :P

VMS118

#2 Re: To ipod up or not?
September 20, 2010, 04:07:22 pm
Haha! thanks. No worries about the careful bit, I am always pretty good in being aware of those around me. I would try the request bit, but tbh I think most people would consider my music a bit crap!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: To ipod up or not?
September 20, 2010, 04:11:27 pm
Revise your taste in music?

More importantly, make sure you're enjoying yourself, and get outside on real rock as frequently as possible (it'll do wonders for your motivation).

VMS118

#4 Re: To ipod up or not?
September 20, 2010, 04:30:46 pm
I would, alas I love my music too much. And why does it help so much? I guess you get more "sense of achievement" outdoors?

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: To ipod up or not?
September 20, 2010, 04:52:12 pm
There was a bloke at the Hull wall who used to boulder playing music from his phone speakers in the top pocket of his shirt. Consequently he was as popular as a turd in a swimming pool. You see a couple of people wearing ipods, and SteveM told me he used to do traverses at Wetherby listening to podcasts - but Wetherby is pretty god awful and normally a solitary experience.

Personally, I think that by wearing one at the bouldering/climbing wall your saying to other people 'I want to be left alone'. Bouldering is a pretty social game and you generally end up talking/helping/working problems together (not all the time but often) - and I think you'd miss out on all this if you're in the headphone bubble. Of course if you dont want to talk to anyone else (which is fair enough) then fine!

If theres no-one else at the wall then  :shrug:

PS, are you based in London (which would explain why no-one talks to each other!  ;) )

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: To ipod up or not?
September 20, 2010, 04:53:27 pm
Because climbing indoors is only practice for the real thing.  :P

More usefully though, the problems are (generally) "natural" and not dictated by someone else's idea of what a problem is.  The challenge is to get up the problem as its presented and once conquered its very rewarding, especially if its not easy/straight-forward.

Don't get too hung up on grades either.

VMS118

#7 Re: To ipod up or not?
September 20, 2010, 05:08:26 pm
I can imagine Mr Loud Speaker was very popular! haha Like I said, if I did ever wear it, I would be the only one who could hear it. I do completely agree on the social aspect of the experience though, that was the major flip side that I could think of wearing them. I was pretty sure I wouldn't do it when others are around, I was mainly concerned that it was a complete a no no - even if the place was empty.

I'm not in London, but I am planning a visit to London Bridge's gym in a month or so when I visit a friend. I'm in worcester, it's a pretty nice gym and every one seems friendly.

As for out doors, I will hopefully experience that next summer as it seems a little late/wet for going outdoors. But thanks for giving me something to look forward to  ;D

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Re: To ipod up or not?
September 20, 2010, 05:50:05 pm
Just be careful of the beat kicking in right on the crux. It can be distracting.

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
#9 Re: To ipod up or not?
September 20, 2010, 08:24:59 pm
worcester is pretty good you should get fairly strong on that big overhang they got . used to go a lot when my mate lived there.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#10 Re: To ipod up or not?
September 21, 2010, 08:42:09 pm
I used to listen to music when training at home, and found out that when I had to do the really tough exercises I preferred to turn music off because it was distracting and I couldn't concentrate properly.
I find it very helpful before the session though.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#11 Re: To ipod up or not?
September 21, 2010, 08:45:58 pm
ok so my reply was absolutely useless.
to answer your question, as long as you are aware of what's going on around you and it's not loud, it's fine.
although the risk is to be considered not very social.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal