UKBouldering.com

Help - any woodies in Derby? (Read 2276 times)

aly

• addict
Help - any woodies in Derby?
September 16, 2010, 12:51:11 pm
Hey, I've just moved to Derby and looking for somewhere to train over the dark winter.  I went to the wall last night and was kind of hoping for some kind of fingerboard/training board/campus board or steep bouldering but alas, none there!  What do you Derby based climbers do, are there any boards in Derby?  Anyone looking for people to climb/train with?  Is the best option to head to Nottingham (or the Climbing Works?!)?  Any folk go out lamping on the southern edges/Churnet winter evenings?
Lots of questions, sorry, maybe it should be in the hookups forum but thought this was worth a try.  Feel free to drop me a PM if you're local and want to get out and I'd appreciate any derby beta you have.  :)
cheers,
aly

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

aly

• addict
#2 Re: Help - any woodies in Derby?
September 16, 2010, 03:16:58 pm
Thanks for that Chris, I should have said I've already had a look through the directory and not found anything local though  :'(

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
#3 Re: Help - any woodies in Derby?
September 17, 2010, 10:43:18 pm
Aly
Notts wall did have a woody but the relocation of the wall has meant that the woody no longer exists (for the time being). The new wall has just been open a week and is only half finished but has some new, works style boards which could help to inspire you. Better than Derby

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#4 Re: Help - any woodies in Derby?
September 18, 2010, 10:16:54 am
Probably a bit far but Creation in Birmingham has a Moon woody.

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
#5 Re: Help - any woodies in Derby?
October 08, 2010, 03:06:59 pm
Notts wall currently closed temporarily due to what I was told are H&S issues around building work in a public environment ...   :'( I'm told that they will be moving Matts 30deg and 45deg boards from the old cellar and installing them in the new venue - please note this has not been confirmed with any members of staff from the Notts wall ... if they do then get your self down to the Notts wall - best call and check before you have a wasted trip over the A52  :goodidea:

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Help - any woodies in Derby?
October 08, 2010, 04:12:45 pm
Well as I am not a Derby based climber so don't feel too bad about disclosing this 'secret'? I have been told on good authority there is a large woody under the grit gear shop (in the old pub beer cellar) across the road from the wall, which, coincidentally seems rubbish for training.  What you have to do to gain access to this I don't know (guessing I have probably blown my chances though  :-\).  I haven't actually seen it, so maybe it is not as good as the person was making out and additionally the shop has the air of one in trouble so I don't know if it's closing would affect the access.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal