UKBouldering.com

Peak Area meets - Next one: Weds 4th June 2014 (Read 82747 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
 :goodidea: I'm convinced.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
:goodidea: I'm convinced.

:agree:    Henry has never sounded more worried about the consequences of the Asset Review than he does right now.  It's pertinent to ask whether the hierarchy of the Peak District National Park have the best interests of the Peak District at heart.  Get to this meeting if you can.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Blog from the Peak District NP's CEO here about the big society and how great it is they're getting shot of all that land. Totally fails to address the question of how the NGO's are being overwhelmed by the amount of land on offer.

We have now agreed the details of the basis of transferring Losehill Hall to the Youth Hostels Association.  This is a good deal for the National Park.

No, this is a good deal for a cash-strapped National Park Authority. Big difference. This attitude is exactly the nub of the problem.

cofe

• forum hero
Frightening isn't it.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Blog from the Peak District NP's CEO here about the big society and how great it is they're getting shot of all that land. Totally fails to address the question of how the NGO's are being overwhelmed by the amount of land on offer.

We have now agreed the details of the basis of transferring Losehill Hall to the Youth Hostels Association.  This is a good deal for the National Park.

No, this is a good deal for a cash-strapped National Park Authority. Big difference. This attitude is exactly the nub of the problem.

Right on JB.  The PDNPA is suffering from a critical lack of leadership just when it needs it most.  I would suggest that Jim Dixon is more interested in singing from the correct political hymn book rather than protecting the Peak District we all love.  I think it's called feathering your nest.......   :thumbsdown:

Jacqusie

• stalker

Plenty of butties & chips still on offer though following the Q&A..!

This kind of thing doesn't happen very often and it's testament to the Peak Area Reps that we have the opportunity to ask the sort of questions that half the time are avoided / swept under the carpet in all the politik.

Try to get there if you can - the train leaves Sheff - Grindleford at 7:15 if you need it

Si

Jacqusie

• stalker

Gotta love this:

"The exotically-named Eastern Moors are not a group of people from the Orient"

Hmmm maybe not yet  - time to start learning mandarin?..

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
If anyone wants a lift I'll take our 7 seater Espace.

I live in Broomhill and will head down Brocco Bank so could stop at the bus stop just after Hunters Bar roundabout about 7.00pm and other points en route.

dave

I'll take you up on that.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Hairich is after a lift too. I've got to go down early do will see y'all there.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
I'll take you up on that.

Thought you might. See you at the bus stop.

dave

[noembed]Nice one. I hope you'll be suitably dressed for driving an Espace.

[/noembed]

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Looking unlikely that I'll make it to this now as I'm still ill.  :thumbsdown:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Doubt I'll make it either, not ill, but a moody wife (which is probably worse as you can get over illnesses).

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
With transport laid on by none other than the proprietor himself, there should be no excuse for the UKB massiv not turning up in force tomorrow night.

No free prizes to mop up this time, but a unique opportunity to influence a major player in the battle for control of our playgrounds.

Please come and make your voice heard.  It will really help if we swell the numbers and convey our passion on this.

Thanks

Neil

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

I live in Broomhill and will head down Brocco Bank so could stop at the bus stop just after Hunters Bar roundabout about 7.00pm and other points en route.

Anyone else or is it just me and Comedy Dave ?

Nigel

• forum hero
I'm putting about for a lift, in Nether Edge though so out of your way. Waiting on a few other lift options, hopefully they'll come through, really keen to get along.

dave

Anyone else or is it just me and Comedy Dave ?

I like to stretch out in the back anyway.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Good turn out last night. I think I spotted Sloper at the bar but he didnt attend the meeting  :-\  Nige arrived late with carer Jonboy as mystery invalid to check out the Maynard's disabled access arrangements.

Mike Innerdale, the National Trust’s Operations Manager wasn't the crusty old fart you might have expected but came across as a good guy who was articulate and passionate about Land Management and of course the National Trust ( a charity not a quango) though did call the Peak "the Peaks" which caused the hairs on the back of the neck to visibly rise for most attendees.

Mike foccused on the very recent acquisition of the Eastern Edges from the Peak Park which is in partnership with RSPB. Committed as they are to access for visitors (albeit reconciling the needs of different groups) and backled by the BMC in the bid this is a good result for climbers and hopefully the RSPB won't be too onerous in their demand for restrictions though this wasnt covered.

The next issue Mike was drawn into was bidding for the Roaches. He seemed to be of the opinion that this was less likely to be won by the NT and I sensed this was not as important a target for the NT - certainly compared to the huge Eastern Edges estate. Lobbying the Peak Park (individual letters best) to choose the NT over other bidders is advised as this seems to be in the best interest for climbers. The NT has the resources and experience to manage the land properly and is culturally switched on to visitor access. Same goes for Stanage when that goes up for bids.

Other access - Staden. The farmer currently isnt being very helpful. The bottling plant has been rejected now. Any visitors asked to leave are advised not to give their names and addresses. A crag called Windgather may end up in BMC hands FOC.

I didnt take notes so can't remember much else except that the limestone guide progress update was cursory as Grimer was not there because he's now a dad  :o 

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Lobbying the Peak Park (individual letters best) to choose the NT over other bidders is advised as this seems to be in the best interest for climbers

Worth mentioning timing on this - not yet. The formal tender process has not begun yet, just 'expressions of interest'. My guess would be it'll be a good few months down the line, perhaps a year, before pressure needs to be brought to bear. A lot could change in the interim too, I'm hoping so anyway as the current prospects aren't great.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
......and what a fantastic turnout  :o  must have been 50 people there with a high percentage of UKBers, some of whom didn't stay to the end....  :whistle:

jamiev

• regular
Mike Innerdale also made a point of asking "what can the NT do to be more helpful to the climbing community" at the end of his Q&A.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
...and he did seem to respect the uniqueness of the hut at the Roaches, and didn't seem keen to immediately turn it into a NT gift shop/tearoom if it ever does end up in their hands.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Mike Innerdale also made a point of asking "what can the NT do to be more helpful to the climbing community" at the end of his Q&A.

...to which the honest answer would probably be something along the lines of "benign neglect is fine by us guv."  Just leave us to do out shit.....

:shrug:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
A few ideas:

Tree clearance could be useful on a few crags, not just for climbing but for the improved landscape value when crags are exposed.

Erosion control/ ground stabilisation - eg Trackside, I don't think dumping ever greater piles of chippings is the long term solution.

Education - be good to get advice/ help from experts on details like gardening (eg sensitive species worth preserving vs 'weeds' that can be removed harmlessly), likewise with the time we spend out there we might have observations that are useful to them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal