UKBouldering.com

calories burnt while climbing (Read 19521 times)

ghisino

• forum abuser
calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 09:51:13 am
so I had posted a similar question here before the crash.
just if somebody is interested, i've got some answer on rc.com instead. seems that if you want to burn as many calories as possible in a climbing session, volume is more important than intensity. no surprises!

Quote from: jt512
Quote from: ghisino
I am particularly interested to know if anyone has a clue about what kind of work in the gym would help my weight-dropping objective the best, particularly in the sense of :
-burning the most possible calories over a given time (say a 2 hours session)
-minimizing loss of climbing-relevant muscle.

My common sense says the best would be running as many laps as possible in the cave structure (burly climbing->big muscles involved->more calories burnt).
But i'm not sure, especially since i like that kind of work and i might just be self-indulgent here...

The literature on the energy cost of rock climbing is sparse, but what little there is suggests that, if your goal is to lose weight, then the volume of climbing you do is much more important than the difficulty. 

Bertuzzi et al¹ found that climbing a 10-m gym route required 17 to 23 kcal, depending on the difficulty of the route and the skill of the climber.  Watts et al.² found that climbers' total energy expenditure while climbing was in the range of 10.4–11.2 kcal/min.  A reasonable estimate of resting metabolic rate is 1.2 kcal/min.  Subtracting this figure from Watts' results gives a net energy of rock climbing of 9.2–10.0 kcal/min.  If we assume that a 10-m gym route takes about 2 min. to climb, then Bertuzzi's and Watts' results are quite comparable.

Looking at Bertuzzi's results more closely, they found that highly skilled climbers burned 17.1, 19.3, and 22.0 kcal climbing routes rated 5.10a, 5.11b, and 5.12b, respectively.  So, say that in a day of climbing you can complete 10 5.11b routes.  Then, in that day, you will have burned 193 kcal climbing.  That's equivalent to jogging a whole 19 minutes.  On the other hand, if dropping down to 5.10a would allow you to climb 20 routes in a day, then you would burn 20 × 17.1 = 342 kcal.  That is still lousy compared with other forms of exercise, such as running, biking, or swimming, but it is a substantial improvement over climbing fewer harder routes.  So, the bottom line is that, if you want to use rock climbing as a direct means of losing weight, you have to do a lot of volume. 

Keep in mind that the above results are for 10-m routes.  Results for longer routes would scale up proportionately, so if you can climb 20 20-m 5.10a routes in a day, you can burn about 680 kcal—equivalent to about an hour of easy jogging.  Not bad.

A couple of clarifications.  First, all of the above numbers apply only to the actual time climbing.  Secondly, by climbing, I mean climbing up.  I have seen no data for traversing, but I would presume that, for a given level of difficulty, traversing would require far less energy than climbing up.  Secondly, outdoor climbing is better for weight loss than the above numbers suggest, because during a climbing day you spend energy on activities other than pure climbing, such as approaches, walks between routes, and belaying (assuming you bother to stand up).  These ancillary activities all burn more energy than sitting at your desk does, and contribute to total energy expenditure during a climbing day.

Jay

¹ Bertuzzi RC, et al. Energy system contributions in indoor rock climbing. Eur J Appl Physiol (2007) 101:293-300.

² Watts PB and Drobish KM. Physiological responses to simulated rock climbing at different angles. Med Sci Sports Exerc (1998) 30(7):1118-22.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2388704;#2388704

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 10:12:20 am
I'll bet whats in my lunchbox today (egg sandwiches anyone?) you could still burn more calories in less time doing aerobic exercise than lots of volume climbing without any major detriment to your climbing ability (e.g. half hour run/swim or an hours cycling a couple of times a week).

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#2 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 10:23:06 am
This tallies in with an experiment i did wearing a heart rate monitor whilst climbing.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#3 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 10:57:13 am
I think cycle/run to the wall, normal hard bouldering session, cycle run home (keep the cadence high and power low) will do the trick.

Bouldering to keep the power, cycling etc. to burn the calories.  Team that up with the "soup" diet and you're on to a winner.

For anyone concerned with maintaining finger strength here's a bit of personal insight for you:

I've not climbed in the last 7 months due to my fucked knee, since then i'm lucky if I've average 1 beastmaker session a fortnight ( a bit more recently) and maybe 1-2 chin up sessions per week. I am still doing the same beastmaker routine that I was when i stopped climbing (but have improved in some areas), my routine is:

Repeaters or Encores on the 35* slopers
Back 3 repeaters on big rails
Front 2 mid pockets 3 x 10 secs
Mid 2 small pockets 3 x 10 secs (recent started adding weigh, can hang +20kg)
Middle monos on the bottom monos -  3 x 5 or 6 secs
Index monos with foot on 3 x 10
4 finger full crimps on small rail with foot on (I'm crap at crimping and just trying to get the pulleys strengthened)

The I do various other stuff when i feel like it.

A little bit of focussed training is all you need!  ( I know you'll lose it quicker if dieting but I don;t think you need to worry too much.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#4 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 11:26:25 am
This tallies in with an experiment i did wearing a heart rate monitor whilst climbing.

For various reasons a heart rate monitor is useless for climbing

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 11:30:42 am
It'd be quite handy if you want to monitor your heart rate.  Whether that information will be useful/informative is another matter.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 11:35:03 am
Saw this a while ago:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/aug/03/ki-fit-fitness-gadget

And wondered if it would give semi sensible readings for climbing. I'm not sure how much of it was SCIENCE or shite, but it sounded interesting. Part of me was tempted to get one to see how much is actually burnt in a bouldering session.. but I didnt think it was worth the ££ on a whim...

chris05

• forum abuser
#7 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 11:40:34 am
"A monthly subscription with the armband and a monitor will set you back £99. A yearly package is £268.55."

yikes  :o

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 11:44:29 am
Yup....

but I suspect for the GymJunkies its  8)

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#9 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 11:57:02 am
So many people love to spend their money to show everyone how much exercise they do and consequently how much fitter they are than those people they are showing off to. :wank:

I find a good rule of thumb is eat less do more exercise.

ghisino

• forum abuser
#10 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 12:44:16 pm
I'll bet whats in my lunchbox today (egg sandwiches anyone?) you could still burn more calories in less time doing aerobic exercise than lots of volume climbing without any major detriment to your climbing ability (e.g. half hour run/swim or an hours cycling a couple of times a week).

definitely.
but my starting point was that:
-i don't want to swim because i've done it to boredom for 15 years of my life and it hurts my shoulders
-i hate running
-i could cycle to work and that would make 10 km a day but i'm too lazy and anyway i'm trying to exercise my legs as little as possible.

so until my next trip to céuse or the day when i'll really notice a terrible aerobic shape, i'm happy to skip that.  ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 02:44:19 pm
So you want to lose weight, but not to lose weight by doing any of the things that are best for helping you lose weight?

(am I getting a deja vu feeling about this thread?)

Well the obvious choice then is to eat and drink less bad stuff.

chris05

• forum abuser
#12 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 02:50:32 pm
So you want to lose weight, but not to lose weight by doing any of the things that are best for helping you lose weight?

I dont know what you mean chris  :-\

but I'd recommend some yoga, not sure how it is for losing weight but I heard its excellent for your climbing..... :P

ghisino

• forum abuser
#13 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 03:25:58 pm

Well the obvious choice then is to eat and drink less bad stuff.

yes and no... i'm already controlling what/how much/what time of the day i eat and it seems i'm successful at that until now. In 2 months i've lost roughly 2 kgs of which (according to my scale) 1.5 kgs should be fat tissue. . I honestly don't know if that's good or bad in an absolute sense, but it matches my expectations, and most importantly there seems to be a climbing benefit already. The only doubt i have is that i might be loosing weight too fast and/or i won't be able to keep my desired weight/body composition once i've reached it.

the curiosity about "calories burnt in climbing" came for 2 reasons
a)calorie counting. Somewhere i had found this figure of 900 calories for 2 hours of bouldering. I calculated my daily caloric needs from that, ate accordingly for 2 days and seemed wildly excessive : i felt as if i was forcing myself to shovel in food when i was meant to be in a slight caloric deficit...
b)confirm (or not) that if i want to drop some non-relevant leg muscle as well, while keeping all the climbing-specific mass, a big volume of climbing on juggy burly overhangs is probably the best idea. (see dave mac, dunno if this suggestion was in the book, or in the blog, or both)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 04:08:47 pm
Take any two climbers and the amount of climbing they actually do in "2 hours of bouldering" and the level of effort and you're going to have vastly different amounts of calories burnt between them.  You also need to account for your basal metabolic rate which will be different from the next person.

I can "loose" upto ~0.5kg having a shit in the morning if my scales are to be believed!

I also lost about ~5kg last year in one week walking and climbing in Scotland simply because I was out exercising all day (yet still eating breakfast, lunch and nice big meals every evening).

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#15 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 04:12:30 pm

I can "loose" upto ~0.5kg having a shit in the morning if my scales are to be believed!

Thats 10 Mars Bars if anyones wondering.

Wouldn't like to follow you in.

ghisino

• forum abuser
#16 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 04:37:33 pm
I also lost about ~5kg last year in one week walking and climbing in Scotland simply because I was out exercising all day (yet still eating breakfast, lunch and nice big meals every evening).

did you get them back fast?

I can easily get that kind of fast weight dropping (maybe not 5kg in on week, ok) as well......the biggest problem is that i get them back in 3 days because one week of big sacrifices doesn't seem to change any of my habits. So when it's over, i'm hungrier and lazier than ever...

btw.
a stop at some bar for espresso+shit is a common pre-crag ritual in italy. Now I know there's a reason... ;D

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#17 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 04:44:42 pm
Not at all quickly, didn't put weight on until the last couple of months when I shortened my cycle to work (but maintained what I eat).  :-\

Paul B

• forum hero
#18 Re: calories burnt while climbing
September 09, 2010, 06:00:03 pm
quick weight loss in a week is all water...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal