UKBouldering.com

recommend me a harness (Read 3696 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
recommend me a harness
August 06, 2010, 03:20:42 pm
seeing as I've been dicking about on a rope a bit I think I need a harness from this millennium.
Got a budget of 50 bones, I'm not bothered about it being lightweight seeing as I weight 14 stone, just needs to be comfy and a good alrounder (sport & trad).
Ta

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#1 Re: recommend me a harness
August 06, 2010, 03:33:04 pm
I have 2 arcteryx lightweight harnesses that are delovely for sport, but a ball ache for belaying fat shits. If weight is not an issue I guess you might as well go super comfy. Don't know that corner of the market though.
Maybe one of these

chris_j_s

• menacing presence
#2 Re: recommend me a harness
August 06, 2010, 03:47:49 pm
For a comfortable and practical (7 gear loops!) all rounder I would say go for a DMM Renegade Pro - Just under £50 from Rock and Run at the mo.

http://www.rockrun.com/products/DMM-Renegade-Pro-Harness.html

stevej

• menacing presence
#3 Re: recommend me a harness
August 06, 2010, 04:24:42 pm
...DMM Renegade Pro...

Try to try one on first, they've got unusually long belay-loops that somehow seem to affect the weight distribution between legs and waist. Done up properly, felt good, was about to buy one until I did the daft-looking dangly thing and ended up horizontal and confused. Stupidly got a hirundous (sp?) online instead and found the hard way that petzl quoted sizes are much smaller than their actual size. Convinced I'm going to get something caught one day...

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: recommend me a harness
August 06, 2010, 05:08:09 pm
For a comfortable and practical (7 gear loops!) all rounder I would say go for a DMM Renegade Pro - Just under £50 from Rock and Run at the mo.

http://www.rockrun.com/products/DMM-Renegade-Pro-Harness.html

I dislike mine a lot and it seems to be wearing quite fast.  Seemed to fit in the shop, and it doesn't invert me or anything but not that comfy, also the way the gear loops overlap means stuff seems to get in the way of other stuff.  Partly due to the wierd (in my opinion) sizing.  Small fit but undone a reasonable amount which meant the gear loops were too far back.  So instead I had to go for medium which involves the waist and leg loops having to be fully cinched in.  This now creates situations where gear gets in the way of my legs (but at least I can reach it) and it probably part of the cause for it not being that comfy.  It also seems to cause any layer under it to untuck.  A couple of my friend's share similar views about their Renegades (my gf however likes hers?).

I would like to get fixed leg loops but it seems that I have a small waist but medium legs.  This seems strange I am a 6ft slimmish (31 inch waist) guy with I would say in proportion thighs, why do none of the harnesses seem to fit!

As well as the others, the new Edilrid harnesses look quite nice.

dave

#5 Re: recommend me a harness
August 06, 2010, 06:33:29 pm
I got whatever the cheapest wildcountry model is with the fixed leg loops, costs fuck all, its great.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: recommend me a harness
August 06, 2010, 06:33:50 pm
I've got a DMM Renegade and rate it. The leg loops are non-adjustable, but elasticated - a stroke of genius. Keeps the boys in the barracks without being restrictive. You won't need 7 gear loops Jim, but too many is better than too few. With your waist they'll be round your back anyway.

al123

• menacing presence
#7 Re: recommend me a harness
August 06, 2010, 09:38:43 pm
I got whatever the cheapest wildcountry model is with the fixed leg loops, costs fuck all, its great.

seconded, i think its called the vision fixed leg or something very imaginative like that but got mine and its great, maybe rigid gear loops might have been better but its a nice sleek harness and they might have got in the way or something.... i dont really know. but im close to 6ft and have a 30-32 inch waist and duno bout my legs, but the leg loops fit really nice, all in all its a V nice harness, recommended

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal