UKBouldering.com

Carn Vellan and bolts (Read 85822 times)

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
Carn Vellan and bolts
August 05, 2010, 02:32:00 pm
I'm sure many of you don't know, but Cornwall is still in the 'news'. Amongst all the medwards stuff, the issue of Carn Vellan keeps cropping up. I wanted to canvas some opinion away from the UKC 'people'.

I've proposed that the original bolted lines be re equipped and the mess left by the bolt choppers repaired. Nothing more nothing less. I haven't really said anything other than that their should be a debate.

background info from a year or so ago here..   http://javu.co.uk/Climbing/Articles/CornishBolts/index.shtml

Dave Westlake

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 05, 2010, 03:16:06 pm
I agree Andy.  I've not visited Carn Vellan, and I'm not really that into sport climbing, but I have seen the photos of chopped bolts and they were a total disgrace.  Anything that will clear that awful mess up is welcome in my view.  From what I gathered most people in the SW (and beyond) seemed to support the notion of CV being a sport crag, although the issue of bolts being placed elsewhere seemed a bit more contentious. 

Are you proposing to do the clear-up/ rebolting yourself?

Andy W

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 05, 2010, 03:25:02 pm
I agree Andy.  I've not visited Carn Vellan, and I'm not really that into sport climbing, but I have seen the photos of chopped bolts and they were a total disgrace.  Anything that will clear that awful mess up is welcome in my view.  From what I gathered most people in the SW (and beyond) seemed to support the notion of CV being a sport crag, although the issue of bolts being placed elsewhere seemed a bit more contentious. 

Are you proposing to do the clear-up/ rebolting yourself?

Hi Dave

I would take on the work (or find someone that could) if I felt there was enough support and after assessing the mood at the upcoming BMC meeting at Bosigran at the beginning of Oct.

cheers Andy

Three Nine

• forum hero
#3 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 05, 2010, 03:51:21 pm
I'd fully support CV being bolted up (both the original lines restored and open season on bolting new lines at that particular crag).

Kingy

• forum hero
#4 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 05, 2010, 06:10:48 pm
Times may have changed but it used to be the case during the 'bolt wars' of the 80's that only selected areas of relatively protectionless overhanging, natural limestone (e.g. Malham catwalk etc), certain quarried limestone and some slate were OK for bolting, as was agreed by the BMC at the time. This is probably why Carn Vellan has had so much controversy simply because it isn't limestone.

I would support the rebolting of the very overhanging bit of Carn Vellan if the BMC bolt policy for the area was changed with consensus from local climbers.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#5 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 05, 2010, 11:24:20 pm
I would tentatively say that i agree with bolts back in the steep bit of Carn Vellan, in that they were originally sport routes, it doesn't seem likely that anyone's going to go and lead / solo them anyway and massivley steep slate is a bit of an oddity anyway.

However, i assume noone's suggesting trying to retro all the rest of the (trad) routes at CV (which i would not be down with at all) but... where do we stand on the blue sky lightning / rewind route? It's a claimed trad lead. so retroing it would seem errr retrograde?

granticus

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 06, 2010, 07:57:32 am
I've proposed that the original bolted lines be re equipped and the mess left by the bolt choppers repaired. Nothing more nothing less. I haven't really said anything other than that their should be a debate.

:agree: I'm with you Andy - CV is pretty much an anomaly and as such should be viewed very differently to the traditional coastal crags.  The (blatant alleged) actions of uncle Mark aren't helping the cause.  I guess next time there is an area meet those of us living on the SW peninsular should pull our fingers out, turn up and make our votes count against them city folk.  From what I understand the most recent vote was very close and if more of us 'locals' (the majority of whom agree with you) had turned up it could have swung the other way.  It is a shame that with strong feelings the choppers didn't consider the damage they were inflicting on the rock that they'd claim to be protecting :'(

Yours

M G Edwards

Andy W

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 06, 2010, 10:22:05 am

:agree: I'm with you Andy - CV is pretty much an anomaly and as such should be viewed very differently to the traditional coastal crags.  The (blatant alleged) actions of uncle Mark aren't helping the cause.  I guess next time there is an area meet those of us living on the SW peninsular should pull our fingers out, turn up and make our votes count against them city folk.  From what I understand the most recent vote was very close and if more of us 'locals' (the majority of whom agree with you) had turned up it could have swung the other way.  It is a shame that with strong feelings the choppers didn't consider the damage they were inflicting on the rock that they'd claim to be protecting :'(

Yours

M G Edwards

the next meeting is the beginning of oct,  the cleaning up and re-bolting of CV is to be put on the agenda. The opposition over on UKC has mainly been an emotional opposition and yes I think the best thing to do will be to get as many locals at the meeting as possible.

The minutes and votes from the last meeting can be read here   

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/old_db/areacom/minutes/SWMn0505X.pdf

cheers

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#8 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 06, 2010, 11:01:08 am
I'm all in favour of people with absolutely no connection to the crag in question having the casting vote. After all, as Medwards says, you locals can't be trusted. You'll be finding chipped holds on his "E10" next, disgraceful.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#9 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 06, 2010, 11:17:33 am
I've always supported this venue as a sport route, but don't hold out too much hope of progress on this issue. The problem in my mind is that there's no chance of local climbers viewing the establishment of Carn Vellan as an issue in isolation. The climbers who took the bolts out originally have for too long intimately connected the bolting of Carn Vellan with the actions of Mark and Rowland Edwards and simply can't dissociate the two issues any more. When you add this to the general strong feeling against bolts in Cornwall anyway I can't help feel that, even if a BMC area meeting gave it's blessing to such action, the bolts would be quickly vandalised again.

Andy W

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 06, 2010, 11:30:43 am
I've always supported this venue as a sport route, but don't hold out too much hope of progress on this issue. The problem in my mind is that there's no chance of local climbers viewing the establishment of Carn Vellan as an issue in isolation. The climbers who took the bolts out originally have for too long intimately connected the bolting of Carn Vellan with the actions of Mark and Rowland Edwards and simply can't dissociate the two issues any more. When you add this to the general strong feeling against bolts in Cornwall anyway I can't help feel that, even if a BMC area meeting gave it's blessing to such action, the bolts would be quickly vandalised again.

You may be right, which is a bit depressing. The hope is though, that a well argued case against the irrational and emotional and in many cases minority view may prevail.  :)

Sam

• addict
#11 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 07, 2010, 08:29:40 pm
CV is pretty much an anomaly and as such should be viewed very differently to the traditional coastal crags. 

Why do you think this? I understand the reasoning (big, steep killas) in terming it an "anomaly"; I don't understand why this means it ought be treated differently to the nearby granite/less steep cliffs.  The obvious counter to your statement is that the "anomaly" should mean that it is protected from being bolted.

And in all seriousness, what would bolting this small cliff achieve? Unlikely to be anything less than high 7s, in a something of a backwater that, save for the actions of a few, is staunchly "trad". Tiny numbers of local climbers, most of whom won't climb at the level required by these routes.  A new 8b for the beasts on here to climb? Dave Mac for one has the abilities to consider climbing some of the lines on natural pro. Monster Munch was given 8b+: if this was climbed/graded correctly that's 2 or 3 grades easier than he regards Echo wall.  Rewind was given what as a sport route (formerly called Blue Sky Lightning)? 1025 was claimed at 7c.  None of these routes, if bolted, would even get close to offering envelope-pushing standards. Comparisons with Malham etc are silly: what Carn Vellan could provide  is really what should be being asked.

edit I've read the minutes Andy linked to: good points made by Stu Littlefair & Ken P, but neither are very compelling. I think historical precedent shows once bolts are in that is unlikely, though by no means impossible or would be unique, that a keen young gun will chop them in order to climb them on pro. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 08:45:55 pm by Sam »

Andy W

• forum abuser
#12 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 07, 2010, 09:38:07 pm

CV is pretty much an anomaly and as such should be viewed very differently to the traditional coastal crags. 

Why do you think this? I understand the reasoning (big, steep killas) in terming it an "anomaly"; I don't understand why this means it ought be treated differently to the nearby granite/less steep cliffs.  The obvious counter to your statement is that the "anomaly" should mean that it is protected from being bolted.

And in all seriousness, what would bolting this small cliff achieve? Unlikely to be anything less than high 7s, in a something of a backwater that, save for the actions of a few, is staunchly "trad". Tiny numbers of local climbers, most of whom won't climb at the level required by these routes.  A new 8b for the beasts on here to climb? Dave Mac for one has the abilities to consider climbing some of the lines on natural pro. Monster Munch was given 8b+: if this was climbed/graded correctly that's 2 or 3 grades easier than he regards Echo wall.  Rewind was given what as a sport route (formerly called Blue Sky Lightning)? 1025 was claimed at 7c.  None of these routes, if bolted, would even get close to offering envelope-pushing standards. Comparisons with Malham etc are silly: what Carn Vellan could provide  is really what should be being asked.

edit I've read the minutes Andy linked to: good points made by Stu Littlefair & Ken P, but neither are very compelling. I think historical precedent shows once bolts are in that is unlikely, though by no means impossible or would be unique, that a keen young gun will chop them in order to climb them on pro.

I'm not sure any reasons for or against will ever be entirely compelling.

I'm also not sure the tiny minority you refer to 'who will be unable to climb at this level', feel quite the way you do and in what way is it a backwater?  :-\

Carn Vellan is an anomaly for the reasons endlessly listed but mainly and importantly for the fact that is quarried and that it has allready been bolted, chopped and one route re-bolted and 'rewind'. For that reason alone it can never be viewed as the kind of 'pristine' crag that some might desire or aspire for it be.

granticus

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 08, 2010, 07:50:07 am
Sam - Not sure anyone who lives or even visits to climb down here would appreciate the place being referred to as a 'backwater'.   :shrug:  I get the impression that some folks think there is no climbing community down 'yer and that the only development going on involves the use of hammer, chisel and sica!

An anomaly in that it's a different rock type, super steep and there is little or no protection.  Attempting to redpoint and pre-practice moves (which those pushing E10+ are doing) on trad gear would be near impossible as would top roping these routes.

What C V could provide is some good steep sport routes for the vibrant and active climbing scene that exists in Kernow and Devon.

Believe it or not, we do have some very talented young climbers coming through and some not so young that would be super keen to get on some super steep sport routes in their own neck of the woods...  It's not the thin end of the wedge and any agreement would be very specific about this.

Sam

• addict
#14 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 08, 2010, 09:55:43 am
apologies, to clarify: backwater in sport climbing terms.  I am aware of Cornwall's position in terms of quality trad crags.

I am not an advocate of "thin end of wedge" type arguments (although given the not-so recent past events, it is more understandable here).  Apart from a few notable exceptions, there is a lot to be said for the discretion shown by climbers for the bolting of some crags and strong preservation of bolt-free areas, often within close proximity.  Whilst it may not be obvious from my previous post, I'm not against bolting Carn Vellen per se but haven't really been persuaded by the arguments for doing so.  The fact that, at some point, rock has been quarried from this venue is moot: much of the coast of Cornwall has been subject to the mining industry.  It is not a quarry in the sense of being a completely artificial crag, like the Cheeswring quarry for example.  I wouldn't mind betting that some of the granite crags have been altered in some respect (the number of winding wheels along the path from Chair Ladder to Lands End for example and much of the Culm Coast has been quarried - walk from Trebarwith to Tintagel to see fairly major operations). Using this fact as a reason for bolting is not logical given the context.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#15 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 08, 2010, 12:57:48 pm
After reading those notes I think Ken has a good point; areas like Anstey's have help develop climbers in Devon without the ravaging of other Trad areas.  I'm amazed that people chopping the bolts don't realise the damage they are doing whilst protecting the area :-\

We have a great Trad ethic in this country and in the last 20 years of climbing I've only seen this improve with regards to style of people ascents.  Assuming that this "thin end of the wedge" will open the flood gates to the bolters is both rude and insulting.

granticus

• forum abuser
#16 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 09, 2010, 09:13:29 am
As I wrote earlier in the thread above, the really perverse thing about Carn Vellan is that policy has been effectively set by Bristol climbers, who seem more than happy to have plenty of sport climbing available locally to them (the other end of Brean, much of Cheddar, sundry Wye Valley stuff, etc), yet get very uptight about cliffs 200 miles away ...
:agree:

Your not from Bristol are you Sam?  :whistle:

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#17 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 09, 2010, 02:49:52 pm
"bolts are allowed in quarries but not gritstone or sandstone quarries, unless they have been there for a very long time ... "

...or they're in South Wales

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#18 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
August 09, 2010, 03:19:08 pm
or of you are in Scotland...

http://www.mcofs.org.uk/climbing-guide-style.asp#bolts

This means that climbers will not find bolts on mountain cliffs or the majority of outcrop crags or sea cliffs

.....except the aforementioned Tunnel Walls, or Arbroath Seacliffs. So simple really.

Andy W

• forum abuser
#19 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
September 22, 2010, 10:32:02 pm
hi

Just to bump this along a bit. The BMC meeting is at Bosigran on the 2nd Oct. Support would be welcome in person or email. Pasted below is the item we are hoping will be on the agenda

enjoy :)

b)Area endorsement for Penwith and Cornish climbers’ fixed protection statement.

Penwith and Cornish Climbers’ sport climbing statement
Following discussions and careful consideration of all the issues over the past several years
Penwith and Cornish climbers have formed a policy in relation to sport climbing.  The policy
is driven by certain simple overriding truths, such as:
1. Cornwall as a region should be treated with parity with any other regional climbing area in
the UK (especially in so far as sport climbing is concerned).
2. Penwith and Cornish climbers who wish to develop sport climbing in Cornwall should
have the same opportunity to develop crags in their local areas just like the rest of the
UK.
The policy has the support of Penwith and Cornish climbers; is consistent with agreed BMC
policy and is supported on a national basis.  The policy is as follows:
• Penwith and Cornish climbers may develop sport climbing at certain specific Cornish
venue/s excluding all natural granite cliffs/outcrops;
• The selection of those venue/s will be based upon a coherent, rational and logical basis, 
relevant factors may include whether-
• there are verified and repeated existing trad lines;
• whether there has been a history of sport climbing;
• the BMC’s approval of the use of the venue in question; and
• its suitability for sport climbing by comparison to other national sport climbing
venues.
The policy is not to be construed as an approval or tacit acceptance of the chipping or
manufacture of protection/holds that has taken place recently or historically in connection
with trad climbing. This policy for sport climbing, therefore, should not be conflated with any
other aspect of climbing.

granticus

• forum abuser
#20 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
September 23, 2010, 08:53:40 am
Good luck with this. Judging from the 2005 experience, perhaps the key tactic for the 2nd October would be to set up a road block on the M5 around, say, Taunton, to ensure only local locals get to vote?

Will see what can be arranged ;)

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
September 23, 2010, 11:18:17 am
Where are the easy sport routes going to be?
Good luck with this. Judging from the 2005 experience, perhaps the key tactic for the 2nd October would be to set up a road block on the M5 around, say, Taunton, to ensure only local locals get to vote?

Remember that several Bristol climbers also showed support for the bolts.

Besides, where are the easy sport routes going to be?

granticus

• forum abuser
#22 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
September 23, 2010, 10:40:06 pm
Where are the easy sport routes going to be?

Remember that several Bristol climbers also showed support for the bolts.

Besides, where are the easy sport routes going to be?
Cheddar !?!  :shrug:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#23 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
September 24, 2010, 02:06:22 pm
This is where that Medwards 6b+ 8b+ is right? If so then it should definitely be rebolted if only so that someone can go and downgrade it.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#24 Re: Carn Vellan and bolts
October 01, 2010, 08:37:46 am
Apparently under the proposed solution then parts of Carn Gowla are in danger of becoming sport crags. :wall:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=427411&new=6050917#x6049981

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal