UKBouldering.com

XT versus SLX (Read 6194 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
XT versus SLX
July 20, 2010, 10:48:59 pm
Anyone tried Shimano SLX mechs? Not sure I can stretch to XT. Thinking of upgrading from my Deore's.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#1 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 08:48:18 am
Fitted SLX to my new bike Obi-wan, faultless so far, look neat and strike me as more robust than the XT.  In fact I've pretty much SLX'ed the whole bike, so my advice is go for it  ;D

cofe

• forum hero
#2 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 09:26:59 am
I doubt there's that much in it word: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=638

Plus, if the front mech works fine I'd just leave it, it's not a significant bit of a bike really as it's used so little.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 09:56:34 am
I doubt there's that much in it word: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=638

Plus, if the front mech works fine I'd just leave it, it's not a significant bit of a bike really as it's used so little.
yeah, but it's got 'deore' written on it, not XT or SLX and that's what matters isn't it? It's not about whether it work's or not.  ;)

cofe

• forum hero
#4 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 09:59:31 am
you missed the 'R' off 'XT' of course.... ££$$$$$£££$$$$$$£!!!!

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#5 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 11:10:46 am
yeah, but it's got 'deore' written on it, not XT or SLX and that's what matters isn't it? It's not about whether it work's or not.  ;)

:lol:  Too right.  Never mind the quality, feel the width of that grin when people go, "Hey, nice derailleur!"  ;)

webbo

• forum hero
#6 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 11:45:18 am

:lol:  Too right.  Never mind the quality, feel the width of that grin when people go, "Hey, nice derailleur!"  ;)

or"for the price of that group set you could have got a decent road bike".

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#7 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 12:09:15 pm

or"for the price of that group set you could have got a decent road bike".

Christ!  Where do you buy your road bikes!!
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1443&categoryId=76

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 03:46:59 pm
Anyone tried Shimano SLX mechs? Not sure I can stretch to XT. Thinking of upgrading from my Deore's.

I'm a pretty recent convert to SRAM after many years riding XT rear mechs, like them a lot. Know nothing of this new fangled SLX and don't know if SRAM mechs would be compatible with your (presumably) shimano shifters? probably not i guess

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#9 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 04:06:05 pm
Yeah,  I looked at SRAM but wasn't sure about compatibility. Any know if I need a standard or long cage version? That Merlin website says long cage is for triples, the shimano spec says total capacity is 35T for the standard and 45T for the long cage, what does that mean? :shrug:

Standard
Maximum Sprocket   34T
Minimum Sprocket   11T
Front Difference   22T maximum
Total Capacity   35T

Long Cage
Maximum Sprocket   34T
Minimum Sprocket   11T
Front Difference   22T maximum
Total Capacity   45T

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 04:13:16 pm
i'd say the long cage is probably a safer bet, don't know about "tooth capacity" though, sounds like arse

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#11 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 04:28:43 pm
Yeah,  I looked at SRAM but wasn't sure about compatibility. Any know if I need a standard or long cage version? That Merlin website says long cage is for triples, the shimano spec says total capacity is 35T for the standard and 45T for the long cage, what does that mean? :shrug

Sram are good, until you need new jockey wheels at £19 a pair!  Naughty Sram  :spank:

If you've got a triple chainset, go for the long cage......

Fj

• menacing presence
#12 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 04:30:56 pm
I've got a standard slx and a 36t ring which works fine.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#13 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 05:24:13 pm
For anyone interested, I found this which explains exactly what Shimano mean by 'total capacity'

Uber Bike Geeky but also quite interesting and potentially useful.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 05:36:57 pm
Yeah,  I looked at SRAM but wasn't sure about compatibility. Any know if I need a standard or long cage version? That Merlin website says long cage is for triples, the shimano spec says total capacity is 35T for the standard and 45T for the long cage, what does that mean? :shrug

Sram are good, until you need new jockey wheels at £19 a pair!  Naughty Sram  :spank:

If you've got a triple chainset, go for the long cage......

got some non-standard sealed bearing units for a tenner the other week...

northerngreg

• player
  • slayer
#15 Re: XT versus SLX
July 21, 2010, 11:47:52 pm
In a nutshell Shimano mechs come in short (ss), long (gs) and super long (sgs) cage varieties.

A regular MTB triple needs an sgs
A regular MTB double needs a gs
A MTB single needs either an ss or gs depending on cassettes ratios (gs for mtb cassette, ss for road cassette)
A regular road triple meeds a gs
A regular road double needs an ss

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#16 Re: XT versus SLX
July 22, 2010, 10:29:55 am

got some non-standard sealed bearing units for a tenner the other week...

I've just been through the same process Iesu!  The bearing in the lower jockey wheel on the missus X9 exploded and I replaced it with a sealed bearing from a firm in Sheffield - £3!   8)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#17 Re: XT versus SLX
July 22, 2010, 11:57:34 am
SRAM shifter and Shimano mechs are not compatible, and vice versa, they work on different ratios so the indexing won't work.

In the real world a long (gs) mech works fine with a front triple.

I run a short Shimano mech (ss) with a front triple.  This is not recommended since it mucks up the chain line but if you are careful with your gear selections then it aint a problem.  The shorter the cage the less chance there is of the chain jumping off.   Since I ride one of them old fashioned single pivot heap of girder thingys I used to have a load of problems with the chain jumping off, but not with the short cage.

Remember kids, some plonker with health and safety and corporate liability in mind writes those manuals  ;)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#18 Re: XT versus SLX
July 27, 2010, 10:29:21 am
Update: Obi's Kona is now fully pimped ready for the Lakes next week, a very productive Sunday was spent...
- Replacing BB and chainset with lightly used XT BB and XT chainset
- New cassette (34-11)
- Replaced rear hub bearings
- Replaced headset bearings
- New rear tyre
- New SLX rear dérailleur (long cage)
- New chain
....and mucho tuning etc. All for less than 100 notes.

Thanks to all for help and advice particularly TLR who supplied the XT chainset and BB, finally got around to using those bits!  :bow:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal