UKBouldering.com

Exercise after Punch Biopsy (Read 674 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Exercise after Punch Biopsy
June 05, 2024, 09:56:24 am
Getting a biopsy done on a mole on my scapula tomorrow morning. Advice is 48 hours of no strenuous exercise, but what after that. Clearly landing on back on a pad is probably a bad idea, but wonder if anyone else has had any experience. Happy to not do much if it speeds up healing.

Except maybe running...

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#1 Re: Exercise after Punch Biopsy
June 05, 2024, 10:25:16 am
I've had more BCCs than almost anyone my age and have done more biopsies than I can count. I'm a bit confused why your doctor did not take a biopsy immediately? I don't take any precautions at all with healing after a punch biopsy, might go climbing in the evening after even, but ymmv. If you have to operate a tumour on the back, expect a month without exercise, if you want it to heal without too much scaring. Cream or phototherapy is obviously better than cutting it out, if it is possible.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2 Re: Exercise after Punch Biopsy
June 05, 2024, 10:41:19 am
I'm a bit confused why your doctor did not take a biopsy immediately?

NHS. She only has access to the room she does it in on certain days. I'll take it easy until Saturday afternoon. Hopefully it's not serious, unlike my younger brother who has had about a CD sized part of the top of his scalp removed.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Exercise after Punch Biopsy
June 05, 2024, 04:04:50 pm
I've had more BCCs than almost anyone my age and have done more biopsies than I can count. I'm a bit confused why your doctor did not take a biopsy immediately? I don't take any precautions at all with healing after a punch biopsy, might go climbing in the evening after even, but ymmv. If you have to operate a tumour on the back, expect a month without exercise, if you want it to heal without too much scaring. Cream or phototherapy is obviously better than cutting it out, if it is possible.

I don't know anything about wound care but whereas topical treatment might be OK for BCC in the correct setting, for dodgy pigmented lesions/moles (I.e. is this melanoma?) lesions should be completely excised to reach a diagnosis.  There are caveats (i.e. the face) but shave biopsies (lopping the top off), cryotherapy, etc are a no no if there is a concern for a malignancy in a pigmented lesion.

PeteHukb

• player
#4 Re: Exercise after Punch Biopsy
June 05, 2024, 09:57:32 pm
If it's under local anaesthetic and you feel well enough, I don't think you need to hold back too much. As with any wound you'll want to avoid impact, abrasion or excessive stretching of the skin in the area for 7-10 days. Depending on exactly where it is and how sore it is, that might rule out quite a lot of climbing, or alternatively it might allow everything except chimneys and steep bouldering. Test it out cautiously and be prepared to back off.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Exercise after Punch Biopsy
June 06, 2024, 01:27:58 pm
Thanks all. It's directly over my shoulderblade so probably not a good place from the POV of stretching the skin. Will avoid steep bouldering where I might land on it, and do routes if I climb at all. Need to go back in a week to get the stitch out. then see by next weekend. 

JJP

• addict
#6 Re: Exercise after Punch Biopsy
June 06, 2024, 05:56:56 pm
not sure if exactly same thing as punch biopsy but i had a mole removed from my back, either over shoulder blade or between shoulder blade and spine, 10-15 years ago. too long ago to remember specifics but think it was pretty quick recovery and minimal disruption to activities - i suspect whoever does the procedure will be able to advise on return to exercise etc. may even get a short instruction sheet about wound care and activities etc, maybe not! 
hope goes well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal