UKBouldering.com

Pulled Lat (Read 3349 times)

shoon

Pulled Lat
July 20, 2010, 08:10:01 am
Did some bouldering with a left catch move that was a bit hard for me...after trying the move (a bit too long I guess) I got a slight pain in my left lat ..ignoring this for a while made it a bit worse..so much so that I could not do any pull ups any more due to the pain (which is just by the armpit).
Rested for 1.5 weeks to try some hangs, worked ok....up to the point I tried a pull up again! Seems that the pain is only there when doing a pull up or rowing motion... Any tips/hints for recovery or am I doomed for even more rest?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1 Re: Pulled Lat
July 20, 2010, 08:27:10 am
If it's still bad after a 1 1/2 weeks of rest, you might have torn it rather than strained it.

Maybe try another week's rest then build up slowly - jumping straight into pull-ups is only going to re-injure it.  :wall:

If it's still bad, time of the UKB favourite response - go see someone who knows what they're talking about!

shoon

#2 Re: Pulled Lat
July 20, 2010, 08:41:01 am
Cheers.. feared as much. The 1 Pull up i tried was too soon I agree..-sniff-.. so more rest it will be -double sniff-.. still wondering about fingerboaring though, sorry just feel like I want to do SOMETHING, what is the view on that?

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Pulled Lat
July 20, 2010, 08:45:39 am
If it's torn, it's stuffed, and you can't use it.  Which it sounds like it might be.  That would restrict you to running or bicep curls.  I'd go for running and seeing a physio to see if it is indeed stuffed.

Mate tore his bicep once (in a gym).  It rolled up his arm like a, err, a thing that rolls up.  Needed an operation I think...  :o

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4 Re: Pulled Lat
July 20, 2010, 08:59:23 am
Maybe do some yoga.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#5 Re: Pulled Lat
July 20, 2010, 09:38:41 am
nah.. do some 1 armed campussing/swing a kettle bell instead  :lol:

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#6 Re: Pulled Lat
July 20, 2010, 09:44:51 am
Cheers.. feared as much. The 1 Pull up i tried was too soon I agree..-sniff-.. so more rest it will be -double sniff-.. still wondering about fingerboaring though, sorry just feel like I want to do SOMETHING, what is the view on that?

You use yours lats fingerboarding too (well, you do if you're doing it right, so i'd have thought that's out too - you're not going to lose much strength in the time it takes to get your lat fixed.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#7 Re: Pulled Lat
July 20, 2010, 08:08:01 pm
stop thinking about keeping strong and start thinking about getting fit. If it feels ok, but a pull up is too much then DO SOME EASY CLIMBING. Easy enough that you feel embarrassed that people are seeing you climb such easy stuff.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Pulled Lat
July 22, 2010, 05:39:02 pm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal