UKBouldering.com

How many holds (Read 2957 times)

Chippie

How many holds
July 19, 2010, 08:32:31 pm
Since I'm skint at the moment I'v started on the studwork for a woodie in my unit,I'm now just wondering since there will be roughly 20s/m of surface so how many holds, roughly, would i need to make it a woodie worth training on?

Cheers.

Chippie.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#1 Re: How many holds
July 20, 2010, 08:04:43 pm
A lot.
You can have fun climbing with very few, but you will soon get board, ha ha. Make as many basic wooden holds as you can be bothered and then keep making them. You will know when you have enough.

Chippie

#2 Re: How many holds
July 21, 2010, 09:49:59 am
Cheers Sam, I'm fortunate, I have a lot of wood in the workshop so can quite easily make plenty of holds.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#3 Re: How many holds
July 25, 2010, 09:54:26 pm
WTF?  Does this really need a topic on here and UKC?  Why not put some holds on and find out.  Oh there are too many (take some off). Oh there are not enough etc. The internet is no substitute for common sense.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: How many holds
July 26, 2010, 02:25:52 pm
The internet is no substitute for common sense.

This is outrageous slander. When I want an opinion I check UKB (the missus relies sadly, on The Mail). You'll be suggesting we start thinking for ourselves next.

To the OP: I'd use loads, but think carefully before siting any larger holds (useful for circuits) as they'll get in the way of nearby smaller ones.

Skinny Pete

#5 Re: How many holds
July 28, 2010, 08:57:21 am
If you want a few big jugs for circuits/warmups etc without them getting in the way, you could consider creating a few large pockets through the board.  I drilled some slots about 1.5" x 4" through the board, then padded the edges both front and back with round-edged stripwood about 5 - 10mm thick to make them comfy to hold.  A smear of epoxy resin might be a good plan to cover any raggedness on the edge of the ply.  These can obviously be made in any size/orientation and work particularly well as low big undercuts. 

Make sure you get them in the right place though as once drilled there's no going back!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#6 Re: How many holds
July 28, 2010, 09:02:20 am
I did something similar once upon a time (making small pockets) but by screwing 1" x 3" strips to the back and drilling it out so the pockets were never more much more that 1" deep. Bit of filing and adding builders caulk/polyfilla to smooth. Quite realistic.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal