UKBouldering.com

Yet another bloomin` shoe thread - replacement for 5.10 X-rays (Read 2893 times)

chris j

• forum abuser
Had a pair of 5.10 Xrays (the blue & black ones) which I loved - great for steep edging but still sensitive for delicate stuff. They fit the shape of my feet really well (broad, high arch) and survived two resoles before they finally had to be put down.  :(

They got replaced by a pair of Evolv Pontas velcro (I live in Exeter where the closest thing we have to a climbing shop is Cotswolds) which are a good shape and ok for edging but a bit clunky and not so hot for anything delicate. These have been through a resole as well and it`s about time to retire them, so next weekend I`ll be up in Llanberis and taking the chance of being somewhere with real gear shops & choice to buy something new.  :bounce:

Anyone got any recommendations for what the modern equivalent of the X-ray would be, I`ve not exactly had the chance to keep up to date with what`s out there? Do 5.10 have anything similar in the range, are the latest Scarpa`s any good or am I looking for something totally different?

Cheers!

Paul B

• forum hero
Personally I think the 5.10 Blanco's are a great edging boot, stiff yet sensitive. However they're not that wide (when compared to the Verde's). Dragons are a great steep stuff shoe but they're quite down toed so it depends what you'd be using them for I guess.

Gallileo's might also be an option but I've never owned a pair of these. They're supposed to be wider fitting.

I'm pretty sure that in a shop such as V12 the staff will know their stuff.

chris j

• forum abuser
Cool, cheers for that. They`d mostly be used for Ansteys style steep limestone up to 7bish or more vertical limestone trad up to E3ish (Chudleigh, the greatest crag in the world whatever SAChris & Fiend say  :P ). Also occasional slabby/vertical stuff on the Culm coast, Cornish granite around E1-E2 and very occasional visits to the rest of the world. Though if I`d be better with two pairs of shoes then so be it, it`s nothing compared to what the missus has strewn round the house...  ;D

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Do what Paul says Judging by your last post I'd go for the 5.10 Whites, awesome shoe, my Dragons don't really get a look in now. If you get them you won't go back to owt else.

Paul B

• forum hero
Do what Paul says Judging by your last post I'd go for the 5.10 Whites, awesome shoe, my Dragons don't really get a look in now. If you get them you won't go back to owt else.

I'm glad i'm not the only one. The only reason I've been wearing dragons recently is I haven't got around to replacing my worn Blanco's!

chris j

• forum abuser
Well, I dropped by V12 on saturday, tried the anasazi whites but they were too narrow for my feet & the heel was a bit too vicious for my taste. Settled on the scarpa vapour velcro, feels like a perfect shape for me. Will be trying them out tomorrow, hopefully all goes well  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal