UKBouldering.com

pre-prep meals (Read 5619 times)

rich d

• forum hero
pre-prep meals
July 16, 2010, 11:56:35 am
I'm away all next week with work, and to appease the shortie I thought I'd prepare her meals in advance and fridge or freeze them, so she can eat well with the minimum of fuss. However I could really do with some decent ideas, as mine are rubbish, lasagne being the best I've come up with.so i thought I'd ask the collective knowledge,
Cheers rich

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: pre-prep meals
July 16, 2010, 12:03:13 pm
Place one of these in each of three freezer draws...

Curries can be frozen ok (although if there is lots of vedge it may all disintegrate upon cooking afterwards).

Fridge wise cous-cous will keep for a few days ok.

Boil some rice and cool it then leave in the fridge along with fresh veg (carrotts, broccoli, pak-choi, peppers, onions).  Quick and easy to chop veg, stir-fry, throw rice in with a whisked egg and you've egg-fried rice (and meat as desired, its really not too hard).

Very generous of you to be planning ahead like this, my wife has to fend for herself whenever I go away.

dave

#2 Re: pre-prep meals
July 16, 2010, 12:05:18 pm
Dal.

Failing that I'm sure you'll be able to tarka into cooking for herself.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: pre-prep meals
July 16, 2010, 12:06:10 pm
Nice big batch of spag bol. Don't freeze the pasta obv. She MUST know how to prepare dried pasta!

rich d

• forum hero
#4 Re: pre-prep meals
July 16, 2010, 12:13:52 pm
The wife isn't a total fucktard when it comes to cooking(she's only slightly challenged) - just after work and putting the kids to bed she's usually done in. good ideas so far.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: pre-prep meals
July 16, 2010, 12:20:38 pm
Phone number for local chinese?

Cook up a chilli, and get some of those microwave packets of rice.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6 Re: pre-prep meals
July 16, 2010, 12:21:48 pm
Of course. No offence meant!
Maybe a nice stew or a casserole.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#7 Re: pre-prep meals
July 16, 2010, 12:22:24 pm
Chilli is always good and tastes better after it's been frozen, same for bolognese.  Curries are good too, stews but they're more of a winter thing really.  Soup?

If you get some decent bread and freeze it then it just needs stuck in the oven for 10 minutes on a low heat to defrost and crisp it up and goes along with main meals. 

rich d

• forum hero
#8 Re: pre-prep meals
July 16, 2010, 12:28:21 pm
No offence taken Will.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#9 Re: pre-prep meals
July 16, 2010, 06:18:16 pm
Cook a job load of mince and make a lasagne, a spag bol sauce, a chilli and a cottage pie! She may be sick of mince before the weeks out but at least its easy.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: pre-prep meals
July 16, 2010, 07:38:42 pm
Dal.

Failing that I'm sure you'll be able to tarka into cooking for herself.

Thats an otterly awful pun...

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: pre-prep meals
July 16, 2010, 07:41:11 pm
More seriously, big vat of soup made up of all the left over veg in the bottom of the fridge.. (salad doesnt work too well apparently)

Or - over the weekend, just make a couple of extra portions of whatever you cook and freeze them for next week?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#12 Re: pre-prep meals
July 16, 2010, 08:17:43 pm
More seriously, big vat of soup made up of all the left over veg in the bottom of the fridge.. (salad doesnt work too well apparently)
I find if you leave veg in the bottom of the fridge long enough it turns into soup all by it's self. :oops:

Davey_C

• regular
#13 Re: pre-prep meals
July 20, 2010, 07:46:01 pm
I've made this red lentil curry a couple of times recently, you'll be able to make a big batch and keep it in the fridge. I normally add some chicken thighs to it as well, but you might want to change the meat if you are going to keep it in the fridge for a while.

I've also made this Thai Beef Red Curry in the slow cooker a few times lately (could just as easily make it in a casserole dish and slow cook in the oven. It's a piece of piss to make and tastes lurvely - I add some extra heat to it though. This keeps in the fridge for a good 4/5 days.

Other than that a big batch of Chilli Conne Carne or Bolognese and then just cook some rice or pasta on the night.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal