UKBouldering.com

Yoga for core (Read 35310 times)

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#50 Re: Yoga for core
July 19, 2010, 11:23:34 am

* However, ballistic stretching was being strongly advocated by Dave Binney at a BMC Youth Climbing event I went to on Saturday.

Ballistic or dynamic? I've never heard anyone recommend ballistic stretching, it's generally considered quite dangerous.
Have opinions changed (again)?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#51 Re: Yoga for core
July 19, 2010, 11:33:20 am

* However, ballistic stretching was being strongly advocated by Dave Binney at a BMC Youth Climbing event I went to on Saturday.

Ballistic or dynamic? I've never heard anyone recommend ballistic stretching, it's generally considered quite dangerous.
Have opinions changed (again)?

Probably dynamic. Sorry. I didnt see them warming up so cant describe it.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#52 Re: Yoga for core
July 19, 2010, 12:09:08 pm
I used think I'm a shit climber because I'm short, weak, fat, drink too much and occasionally go ballistic but now I know it's because I do the odd bit of stretching which vaguely resembles yoga.   Not at the wall mind, that'd just be posing.  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#53 Re: Yoga for core
July 19, 2010, 12:16:21 pm
Yup, anyone who does any stretching anywhere near the wall is only doing because they are a shit climber and need to do it to show off, and it's the stretching that made them shit.

The utter crassness of this theory is so  stupid.

Dolly

• forum hero
#54 Re: Yoga for core
July 19, 2010, 12:40:54 pm
Its worth having a chat with someone who really knows their stuff in this area as learning good form and finding out whats right for you is very important. The one thing I did learn is while your back is painful/weak, you should avoid any exercise that involves holding both legs in a straightened position (straight leg raises, levers, L-hangs etc) as these place alot of strain on the lower back. Stick to doing them with knees bent.  I'm not saying it'll do anything for your climbing but it may well stop your back hurting which is what I thought you were looking for in the OP. :)

Yep cheers for that.
I think my running stlye/gait is OK - its been analysed and is apparently neutral. Shoes are OK as well.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#55 Re: Yoga for core
July 19, 2010, 03:10:17 pm
Are there any stats available for which yoga poses / stretches impress people the most? I'm thinking about having a go.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#56 Re: Yoga for core
July 19, 2010, 03:13:57 pm
If you submit a pic of you wearing the same clothes and doing the same pose, it will certainly impress me.

(cue furious dash for Photoshop)

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#57 Re: Yoga for core
July 19, 2010, 09:06:46 pm
The climbing walls round here are full of punters trying to put their leg behind their ear.  Some of the chicks are really hot, and it's getting to the point where I can't climb sport without a bird at the base of the route standing on her head.  Fact is though, they DO climb like shit.  All of them.  I don't know a single decent climber who does yoga.

Which climbing walls are these?. Static resistance type stretching* before climbing has been shown to decrease strength performance. I can't ever recall anyone doing yoga stretches at the Foundry before or after except for ones that have obvoiusly part of some corrective physio advice. Is this at the London walls by any chance ? Maybe its some show-off thing going on as in - I can't climb well but I can attract attention doing the splits ? A good climber who did yoga might not feel the same urge.

Yeah its london.  I've read papers on stretching, but not related to climbing.  But I'm guessing that I've blown any chance to say anything else on this subject.  ("Just my fucking opinion, what you gonna do about it" seems to have got me puntered.  :boohoo:)  Oh well.  Welcome to the internet!  ;)

I dunno who Dave Binney is.  If he's on here, I'll be sure to punter him.  [JOKE.]

Stubbs

#58 Re: Yoga for core
July 19, 2010, 09:45:47 pm
You'll soon learn not to throw bullshit opinions round on here, or base any general climbing experiences on what happens in London!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#59 Re: Yoga for core
July 19, 2010, 11:22:40 pm
Yeah its london.  I've read papers on stretching, but not related to climbing.  But I'm guessing that I've blown any chance to say anything else on this subject.  ("Just my fucking opinion, what you gonna do about it" seems to have got me puntered.  :boohoo:)  Oh well.  Welcome to the internet!  ;)

Good/informed climbers might do yoga but probably don't do it at the wall  a. because they are there to climb b. they know extreme stretching - especally upper body - is not a good warm-up.

For more on climbing specific benefits you might want to check out these articles I stumbled across by Annie Anderson who I climbed with once and isnt a shit climber  :o  http://www.yogaclimbing.com/publications.htm also a good summary on the specific benefits of yoga for climbing here: http://www.spadout.com/w/climbing-training/

There's more to climbing and climbing training than manfully cranking hard on small holds and beasting yourself on the C-board. Apparently. See Johnny Brown for details....   

Anyway thanks for the prompt - I've booked in for my 7.30am class tomorrow. 

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#60 Re: Yoga for core
July 20, 2010, 08:29:57 am

Anyway thanks for the prompt - I've booked in for my 7.30am class tomorrow.

Oh dear, time for a steady downward progression of your grades.  ::)

davidbulley

#61 Re: Yoga for core
July 20, 2010, 01:02:44 pm

Jeez, get over yourself.  The climbing walls round here are full of punters trying to put their leg behind their ear.  Some of the chicks are really hot, and it's getting to the point where I can't climb sport without a bird at the base of the route standing on her head.  Fact is though, they DO climb like shit.  All of them.  I don't know a single decent climber who does yoga.

That doesn't mean there aren't any, but it strongly suggests that those that do probably aren't good because of the yoga.  So they'd be better off doing something else.  Unless it gives them zen powers or some shit which I guess you have to be a true yogi to get, right?

I guess you do yoga.  Why?  Why did you choose that?  Did you honestly honestly think about how it would help your climbing - or did you just drift into it because everyone said so?  Or is it nothing to do with your climbing, and you just do it because you like it?  That's cool, no problem with that.  What I've a problem with is that yoga is good cross training for climbing, because from what I can see, it isn't.

Malcolm Smith does yoga ;) http://climbingmasterclass.com/training/protips.asp?article=2

So do you supplement your bouldering with other forms of strength training?
Definitely. I do deadhangs, campusing, locking holds to the neck and 1-armers on a bar or an edge (although the 1-armers are mainly for a tune-up at the start of a session). I also do a few system style problems such as body tension moves at full stretch or front-on with my feet splayed out, or climbing with a weight-belt. I don't do much isometric (static) work but I would do if I was training for a specific move again like I did for Hubble. I still use weights but for overall body strength rather than climbing strength - I only do compound movements like clean & jerk, deadlift, benchpress, upright row & shoulder press. I'd also use a Bachar ladders if I had one at the moment! I also do an hour of yoga at the end of the day - it really loosens you off and helps you relax and recover mentally as well as physically.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#62 Re: Yoga for core
July 20, 2010, 01:36:41 pm
Ah, but maybe he's be climbing 9b if he didn't.  :-\

Ged

• junky
#63 Re: Yoga for core
July 21, 2010, 09:18:38 am

J
So do you supplement your bouldering with other forms of strength training?
Definitely. I do deadhangs, campusing, locking holds to the neck and 1-armers on a bar or an edge (although the 1-armers are mainly for a tune-up at the start of a session). I also do a few system style problems such as body tension moves at full stretch or front-on with my feet splayed out, or climbing with a weight-belt. I don't do much isometric (static) work but I would do if I was training for a specific move again like I did for Hubble. I still use weights but for overall body strength rather than climbing strength - I only do compound movements like clean & jerk, deadlift, benchpress, upright row & shoulder press. I'd also use a Bachar ladders if I had one at the moment! I also do an hour of yoga at the end of the day - it really loosens you off and helps you relax and recover mentally as well as physically.

The crucial thing there though is that he also does deadhangs, campussing, locking, 1 armers, and system problems with a weight belt.  I suspect it's that which has helped him climb 9a, a lot more than the yoga.  I'm sure yoga isn't detrimental to climbing, but I reckon most folks efforts would be better applied elsewhere.  Unless of course like someone else said, it's just cos they like yoga.

Ged

• junky
#64 Re: Yoga for core
July 21, 2010, 09:19:20 am
Hmmm, haven't got the hang of the quote thing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#65 Re: Yoga for core
July 21, 2010, 09:24:36 am
As with so many things (and the way in which they are discussed on forums) its not just one thing or another, its a balance and synergy of many factors.  Some may have greater and more prominent influence than others on performance, whilst others are more subtle.

Or to put it another way...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#66 Re: Yoga for core
July 21, 2010, 09:27:00 am
I think most people agree that yoga should be a supplement, not a substitute.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#67 Re: Yoga for core
July 21, 2010, 09:51:29 am
I think most people agree that yoga should be a supplement, not a substitute.

And the beauty is that because its so different from most types of climbing training it shouldn't affect the quality of your training and may even aid recovery fom sessions (unless its hardcore ashtanga yoga which sounds like doing a pentathalon or circuit training).

For those (genuinely) lacking time who are choosing between activities yoga would/should usually be a low priority.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#68 Re: Yoga for core
July 21, 2010, 10:07:14 am

Core strength: I'd say yoga was a pretty weak option for this.  There are only a few positions that are any good; why spend ages trying to put your knees by your ears when you should be experiencing abdominal pain?  Try this instead: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/ for example.  If you really must give someone else money, go to a pilates class.  And for chrissakes, stop doing situps.

Muscle imbalances?  I can't see yoga helping for this either.  We spend forever using the back, core, forearms, biceps... so any muscle imbalances e.g. in the triceps - are going to need work at some point yes.  I can't see how yoga is going to compensate for that though; if there is a real imbalance that really needs sorting I probably need to do something a lot more muscle intense, like the weight room, or getting a theraband or something.

Whats the problem with situps?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#69 Re: Yoga for core
July 21, 2010, 05:23:58 pm
The crucial thing there though is that he also does deadhangs, campussing, locking, 1 armers, and system problems with a weight belt.  I suspect it's that which has helped him climb 9a, a lot more than the yoga.  I'm sure yoga isn't detrimental to climbing, but I reckon most folks efforts would be better applied elsewhere.

My experience has been that I can climb much more if I do Yoga. If I don't, my posture goes to cock, my back seizes up, and I get referred pain/ tension in elbows, shoulders and even legs. It sounds to me like Malcolm has found the same. If he'd just done the climbing training, he'd probably be a hunchback crippled with injury.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#70 Re: Yoga for core
July 21, 2010, 06:15:12 pm
My theory: they start crap, see loads of fancy pants people doing yoga, and spend time they need to be climbing and training doing yoga instead of climbing and training.

I got this far through the thread and have decided to sack it off as it's a load of bollocks - who needs to be climbing (much lesstraining)...christ, it's meant to be fun isn't it?

or is it just the latest excuse to harass people online?

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#71 Re: Yoga for core
July 22, 2010, 11:06:52 am
Whats the problem with situps?

Firstly, they might be bad for your back.  Not exactly proven, goes back and forth, lots of people saying they're bad, others saying no they're not, other studies saying yes they are unless your knees are bent, still more saying that's bollocks, and there's no difference in spinal compression between the two methods, yada yada yada.  There are several clear studies that show that they're no good for your back though (i.e. doesn't help).

On the other hand, isometric core exercises - like the planche training routine - are good for your back, and also, most importantly, Give You Rock Hard Abs In Under Two Weeks.

So, given that they might be bad, and there are better exercises, I think we should all stop doing them.  I'm being a tad careful with my opinion now however.   As I want to be friends.  :hug:

To the other poster about having fun: why you reading the diet, training and injuries thread if you just wanna have fun?  Surely you realise this board is for those with food disorders, training obsessions or broken bodies from such activities?  You want to read the shooting the shit section.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#72 Re: Yoga for core
July 22, 2010, 11:12:12 am
Got any of those wonderful link things that take people to said articles you are referring to so others can read and judge for themselves the quality of the research and advice?

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#73 Re: Yoga for core
July 22, 2010, 11:23:12 am
Got any of those wonderful link things that take people to said articles you are referring to so others can read and judge for themselves the quality of the research and advice?

There are loads slackers.  (Ok if I call you slackers?)

A few:
http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/low-back-pain-exercises.html

This comments on the suitability of situps (of various kinds), to solve low back pain - and points out the fact that there's no difference between the two.  It's quite a good article I think.

This one:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/situps.htm

...whilst not anything like a "scientific" analysis pretty much summarises the common view about doing situps - i.e. do them carefully or you'll hurt your back.

Some more:
http://www.simplestrengthening.com/2009/09/09/avoid-back-pain-by-skipping-sit-ups-and-crunches/
http://hubpages.com/hub/sit-ups-and-back-pain (this one may well be bollocks, well they may all be actually)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2007/07/20/black_london_back_pain_feature.shtml
http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/01/21/33234-study-investigates-sit-ups-vs-core-strengthening-during-apft/ (references a study)

The dragon door stuff (how to do the planche and the front lever):

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

Now, these are pretty selective, and before anyone accuses me of saying that I'm being selective, I googled for various things like "sit ups back pain" and the inverse, but the search terms may have been pretty shit at finding the counter arguments...

Also, I haven't read all the articles all the way through as I'm supposed to be working.  ;)

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#74 Re: Yoga for core
July 22, 2010, 11:27:34 am
Lund may be right.
This article summarises well:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/core-myths/

Not sure about your anti-yoga stance, don't seem any harm in it myself, but cheers for the abs heads up
After a bit of research I going to stop doing my situps. :goodidea:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal