UKBouldering.com

Damaged Hand (Read 2172 times)

rodma

• forum hero
Damaged Hand
July 02, 2010, 01:32:00 pm
I tore something in my hand at the weekend and will hopefully be seeing the Physio within the next few days, but in the meantime has anyone done anything like described below?

The pain and general lumpiness is in my palm (nearest the wrist end) and between my ring and pinky fingers.

I get crippling pain in my forearm if I make an "Ok" shape with my thumb and ring-finger

I get hand rape pain if i put my hand in my pocket to get my house keys (easily solved  ;) ) or try to open a jar or screw-top bottle.

I feel like I'm going to pass out if I pull on a hold with just my front 3

I can no longer hang one-armed from a jug due to the wrist area feeling weak.

There is no pain if I dig around the forearm or the ring-finger.

Any thoughts?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1 Re: Damaged Hand
July 03, 2010, 07:36:07 pm
yes, you don't seem to have much luck ;)

take the oppurtunity to train your core ;D

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Damaged Hand
July 05, 2010, 09:34:54 am
Hi Rodma, I did exactly that about a year ago. Although perhaps not as severely as you describe. I remember the pain digging around in my pocket and trying to hang front three. The injury happed for me going for a three finger pocket in a roof. I caught it with the front three and immediately felt the pain in my palm. It's the first time I've felt sudden pain like that with a climbing injury. The injury itself felt like it'd torn some tissue connecting the ring and pinky tendons in the palm but I never did find out what happened so I'd be interested to know.

Recovery wise, I climbed carefully for 3 weeks. No front three holds, I climbed on back three and slopers and that felt ok. After that it was much better. I don't think it's a tendon injury so it shouldn't take too long to heal.

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Damaged Hand
July 05, 2010, 12:37:06 pm
What was the mechanism of injury?

rodma

• forum hero
#4 Re: Damaged Hand
July 05, 2010, 06:44:27 pm

Saw the physio last night

Some minor muscle, tendon and ligament damage around the hook of hamate.

What was the mechanism of injury?

High undercut on roof, push out to lip and flail around with my hand slightly out of position on undercut. Felt something go a bit fudgy in my hand. No pain at the time and did carry on climbing. Was lucky not to do more damage I reckon.
Hi Rodma, I did exactly that about a year ago. Although perhaps not as severely as you describe. I remember the pain digging around in my pocket and trying to hang front three. The injury happed for me going for a three finger pocket in a roof. I caught it with the front three and immediately felt the pain in my palm. It's the first time I've felt sudden pain like that with a climbing injury. The injury itself felt like it'd torn some tissue connecting the ring and pinky tendons in the palm but I never did find out what happened so I'd be interested to know.

Recovery wise, I climbed carefully for 3 weeks. No front three holds, I climbed on back three and slopers and that felt ok. After that it was much better. I don't think it's a tendon injury so it shouldn't take too long to heal.

Yeah, I don't have to rest up for too long thankfully.
yes, you don't seem to have much luck ;)

take the oppurtunity to train your core ;D

I'm already on the levers  :)

and the wine :alky:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal