UKBouldering.com

Tour de France predictions (Read 156980 times)

Stubbs

#375 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 10, 2014, 04:23:42 pm
I'd echo what Cowboyhat has said about Froome - he's essentially come out of nowhere, his first year with Sky he showed himself to be a very good climber, by the second year he's beating times on mountains set in Lance et al's pomp and also beating the world time trial champion in time trials. He's boring in person and seemed to have dropped a real clanger of a biography (which I haven't yet read).  He's also shit at bike handling, as evidenced yesterday, which should be pretty unforgivable for a GC contender.  I like cycling because you don't have to support a team because they are 'British'.

What Sky did when they started, taking the successful British Cycling developed riders from the track to the road was amazing, and they did a great job of bringing through many great riders. These days I think they are more comparable to Chelsea, Man U or City than the German team: they have essentially a blank cheque and have used this to build a team with super domestiques who could easily be GC contenders at other teams.

north_country_boy

• junky
#376 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 10, 2014, 05:26:20 pm
I'd echo what Cowboyhat has said about Froome - he's essentially come out of nowhere, his first year with Sky he showed himself to be a very good climber, by the second year he's beating times on mountains set in Lance et al's pomp and also beating the world time trial champion in time trials. He's boring in person and seemed to have dropped a real clanger of a biography (which I haven't yet read).  He's also shit at bike handling, as evidenced yesterday, which should be pretty unforgivable for a GC contender.  I like cycling because you don't have to support a team because they are 'British'.

What Sky did when they started, taking the successful British Cycling developed riders from the track to the road was amazing, and they did a great job of bringing through many great riders. These days I think they are more comparable to Chelsea, Man U or City than the German team: they have essentially a blank cheque and have used this to build a team with super domestiques who could easily be GC contenders at other teams.

Crikey, there is a lot of hating on the guy.

Not sure it is necessarily true that he 'came from nowhere', journalists and cyclists who have known Froome since he was at Barloworld have stated that he has always had a big engine and could climb, but lacked the know how and structure to get the best out of himself. The structure and set up at Sky has certainly addressed that.

Not sure we can judge his bike handling on yesterday, where he was obviously struggling from Tuesday's crash and sounds like he was already resigned to abandoning during yesterday's stage, regardless of the crashes.

Sky still have a great nucleus of British riders, young and old (Man Utd is probably the best comparison) including potential future GC contenders. I don't think this conveyor belt of talent has ceased.... It may have gone under the radar in the Wiggo kerfuffle, but I was more surprised to see Peter Kennaugh miss out on the TDF team after last year's contribution, and he is obviously going really well (National Championships and currently leading tour of Austria).

Geraint Thomas is another who has shown he is up for the challenge of leading as GC contender....and has the whole package in terms of on bike and off bike charisma...

Stubbs

#377 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 10, 2014, 05:59:42 pm
Firstly if like to reiterate I feel really bad for Froome, I was looking forward to watching him crumble in the mountains ;)

I'm judging his bike handling on all the riding I've seen him do, watch some of his descending in last year's tour for a reminder!

Came out of nowhere in relative terms for a GC winner, most others have a decent palmares before they start getting podium places on grand tours, I'm not sure Froome has this. Of course there are complicating factors with his illnesses etc. I like my cycling heroes a bit more substantially backed up these days I guess.

north_country_boy

• junky
#378 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 10, 2014, 09:12:50 pm
The race will be worse off without him there in the mix. The only real winner at the minute is Nibali as it's one less contender who will attack him in the mountains....

Still not convinced you can say that anyone who is as competitive or successful as he has been at the Tour, can have shoddy bike handling skills. I seem to remember Bertie being the main culprit for mishaps on the descents last year ;)

I understand where you are coming from regarding track record of success/wins, but at some point attitudes have to change with regard to people being automatically suspicious of anything which resonates with the past. Call it naivety or hopeful optimism, but I genuinely believe times have changed on the whole (100% eradication it will never be).

The Telegraph cycling podcast had a great interview with David Walsh a few weeks ago where he spoke a lot about trust and believing what you are saying, especially in relation to the times of an era gone by being beaten by the current crop of riders....Inevitably many will without any foul play as standards improve, there should be no glass ceiling of what is believable unless their is evidence other than 'the EPO era'...

tomtom

• forum hero
#379 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 10, 2014, 09:40:50 pm
Having Froome drop out means the media coverage (in the UK at least) is more balanced and it makes for a (slightly) better viewing experience... Though its a shame for cycling in the UK that it probably wont have quite the same coverage from now on that it might have...

But overall I think the event is weaker for his absence... as there is now one less of the main GC candidates it makes the unfolding story/race potentially less interesting (if he was going to piss everything his absence would make it more interesting mind - but I dont think it was going to be that simple for him this year...)

From a 'personality' point of view, I liked Froome - he just got his head down and did his job as best as he could - and I very much admire him for that. I got the impression he is his own man and I respect him for that.

Duma

• forum hero

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#381 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 13, 2014, 09:52:23 am
What do we think of Nibs then? Outwardly he looked like he was controlling Contraband nicely but did end up giving him a few seconds.

Wishing I hadn't taken Kadri out of my fantasy team now!

Duma

• forum hero
#382 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 13, 2014, 09:59:42 am
Think we won't know till Friday at chamrousse. First long climb to a finish for bertie to try and take some real time. Would like to see nibs have a go on weds on the descent.

danm

• junky
#383 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 13, 2014, 11:51:02 am
Kadri was pretty complimentary about Yates yesterday, describing him as very, very strong. Great potential for a youngster.

north_country_boy

• junky
#384 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 03:00:33 pm
Ooft.

Contador abandons after crash. What an unpredictable tour so far...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#385 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 03:17:37 pm
Harsh. It's sounding like he crashed because his frame snapped! Rather than snapping as a result of the crash. Haven't found a clip yet to confirm. If it turns out that's is the case it's pretty unusual and a pretty poor ad for Specialized high end frames.

tomtom

• forum hero
#386 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 03:18:26 pm
I guess this leaves Nibs as favourite.. though is this a bad thing that there is one clear leader/rider now?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#387 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 03:59:46 pm

(Guessing its not from this year)

north_country_boy

• junky
#388 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 04:01:32 pm
I guess this leaves Nibs as favourite.. though is this a bad thing that there is one clear leader/rider now?

He may now become favorite but he is far from the only GC contender left....Porte and Kwiatkowski will probably be his main challengers now....I expect Porte will attack late in today's stage, especially now Contador has gone.

Tony Martin has had another amazing day at the head today. Beast.

webbo

• forum hero
#389 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 04:41:19 pm
Harsh. It's sounding like he crashed because his frame snapped! Rather than snapping as a result of the crash. Haven't found a clip yet to confirm. If it turns out that's is the case it's pretty unusual and a pretty poor ad for Specialized high end frames.
It's now being reported he hit a rock or a pothole and crashed, destroyed his shoe in the crash.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#390 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 05:43:24 pm
I also read on Twitter that it might have been a spare bike coming off the roof of support car and landing in front of him.... bad luck if that's the case.

tomtom

• forum hero
#391 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 06:56:19 pm
I also read on Twitter that it might have been a spare bike coming off the roof of support car and landing in front of him.... bad luck if that's the case.

From the Grauniad:

There were rumours that Contador’s bike frame had snapped, causing him to fall. It was also suggested that a bike had fallen off the team car and on to Contador. Both were denied by Saxo-Tinkoff. Once TV cameras had missed the crash, speculation was inevitably going to follow.

Later the Belgian rider Jurgen Van Den Broeck confirmed that Contador had crashed trying to overtake the peloton on the descent of the Petit Ballon, when he hit a pothole in the road at 65kph and flew over his handlebars.

It took time for the medical team to reach him and for his right knee to be wrapped. Time too, for his bike to be fixed and cleats altered. When Contador finally got moving he had lost four minutes on the peloton. Progress was interrupted twice more: to talk to his Saxo-Tinkoff sporting directeur Bijarne Riis, and then to speak to the medical wagon.

It was all to no avail. Contador kept going for another 20km but with 77km of the stage remaining he decided to abandon.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#392 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 07:54:19 pm
Broken tibia by all accounts. Fairly tough bloke for getting back in his bike and riding for another 30 minutes or so with that. Proves just how hard these riders really are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
#393 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 08:27:56 pm
I bet Nibs can't believe what's happened - or wonder what's going to happen to him!

mark s

• junky
#394 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 09:09:13 pm

no one can say anything about Nibalis bike handling,some of the vids of him descending are amazing.

watching a race not long ago (cant remember which) they were on a big dangerous descent and nibali started going for it and a few were trying to stay with him.the commentators said there is going to be a serious crash here if they try and keep up with nibali as he is the best.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#395 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 09:28:03 pm
Just watched the highlights.  Great racing today.  Feel for the riders blowing up on the climbs.

mark s

• junky
#396 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 09:57:50 pm
martin went like his wheels suddenly went square.

Stubbs

#397 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 10:05:55 pm
Quality interview with Martin, says that he'd chosen the foot of the penultimate climb as his finish line! Such a beast and a selfless team rider.

http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance/video-tony-martin

I feel sorry for Nibs, if he does go on to win it's always going to be a bit hollow with the two (on paper) favourites missing.

205Chris

• forum hero
#398 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 14, 2014, 11:15:09 pm
I feel sorry for Nibs, if he does go on to win it's always going to be a bit hollow with the two (on paper) favourites missing.

Do you think it was a hollow victory for Wiggins then? Contador banned, Schleck injured and Froome following team orders in 2012?

At least this year the main contenders made it to the start line.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#399 Re: Tour de France predictions
July 15, 2014, 12:19:32 am
Bert's frame didn't fail. A spare got run over or hit by another car in the mêlée. Bert's first bike has black seat tube. The one with the frame in two pieces has a yellow seat tube.
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/tinkoff-saxo-tangle-with-belkin-bikes-identified-as-cause-of-snapped-contador-frame/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal