UKBouldering.com

British Bouldering Champs & Bouldering World Cup come to Sheffieldshire (Read 43011 times)

T_B

• forum hero
Why weren't the BBC's held the weekend after Cliffhanger/the World Cup round? Am I missing something obvious?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Don't think the council will let them keep the wall up in the park for the week after.

T_B

• forum hero
Don't think the council will let them keep the wall up in the park for the week after.

Thought as much. Shame.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks

They would have done but they would not have subsidised it - the BBC (a free to watch event) is a good advert for the World Cup (a pay event). And the advantages of having everything built a week earlier are enormous for the council.

a dense loner

• forum hero
If the best comp climbers aren't at the comp then what's the point? I'm saying tey're the best cos that's what rankings tell us

Stew wasn't there last year either though, so the comp was only one missing little-dave and one Diane due to the world cup.

Maybe if I had done better I would be upset, or if I was in Dave's position

maybe thats true on paper rodma but ned n mina had to get back from holland after poor performances on the friday, driving takes its toll etc. apologies to john partridge who did the same but who i forgot about. so them 3 were certainly in no shape to compete, esp john who was throwing up all the way back, i suppose he's a southerner so doesn't count tho. so them 3 n dave make 4 of our best comp climbers. we cud argue that 3 of the 4 were there but i'm a pragmatist. actually i don't care about comps at all so couldn't care less, just trying to keep it real homies.

bmc diary for nx yr. have bbc's on day when best bbc has to offer are available

rodma

• forum hero
If the best comp climbers aren't at the comp then what's the point? I'm saying tey're the best cos that's what rankings tell us

Stew wasn't there last year either though, so the comp was only one missing little-dave and one Diane due to the world cup.

Maybe if I had done better I would be upset, or if I was in Dave's position

maybe thats true on paper rodma but ned n mina had to get back from holland after poor performances on the friday, driving takes its toll etc. apologies to john partridge who did the same but who i forgot about. so them 3 were certainly in no shape to compete, esp john who was throwing up all the way back, i suppose he's a southerner so doesn't count tho. so them 3 n dave make 4 of our best comp climbers. we cud argue that 3 of the 4 were there but i'm a pragmatist. actually i don't care about comps at all so couldn't care less, just trying to keep it real homies.

bmc diary for nx yr. have bbc's on day when best bbc has to offer are available

You're quite right, I agree with you re: BBC's etc.

I was just pointing out that it was a good fun comp, on good boards in a nice setting. Hopefully there won't be a similar clash in future.

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
Hang on, it doesn't matter who did or more importantly didn't enter. The winners won and they are the British champions. That's competitions. If people are injured, banned or just don't enter well tough titty. That's like saying that Malc hasn't entered these comps in the past years so those winners wouldn't have won because he would have. That's the nature of comps. I'd certainly take a BBC win whether or not the competition was at the highest standards. Nobody remembers who didn't turn up just who won.

Fantastic effort Leah & Nigel. Oh and also to Travs who's at least 10 years older than Gaz who was probably 18 years older than most of the competitors.

Paul B

• forum hero
Fantastic effort Leah & Nigel. Oh and also to Travs who's at least 10 years older than Gaz who was probably 18 years older than most of the competitors.

Firstly I don't think anyone is taking anything away from Nige / Leah 's wins.

That's competitions. If people are injured, banned or just don't enter well tough titty.

...or are abroad defending their world rankings on the same day? The fact that the people offered that opportunity are the highest ranked in Britain and thus having them missing for the BBC's is slightly oxymoronic.
I can see your earlier points Andy but this isn't a case of just not entering etc. Its a needless complication / confliction. Ok, the decision was made so that it could be enjoyed by all on a public comp wall and that no doubt had its plus points but its clear that it also has its drawbacks.

Hopefully there won't be a similar clash in future.

Sums it up nicely.

a dense loner

• forum hero
thank you paul. u seem to be talking sense these days, nats been accessing your account again?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
FFS! Look North have just ruined my morning by showing a close up of Graeme A talking about this weekend's comp.
He did appear to be sober though.

I'm off to DFBWGC to recover.

uptown

• junky
FFS! Look North have just ruined my morning by showing a close up of Graeme A talking about this weekend's comp.
He did appear to be sober though.

Yeah, mine too. Made me spit muesli on our nice rug, and rub my eye sockets.
I think he was mumbling about making everyone fall off, but it was early so I could have been mistaken.
Can we have some kind of early warning for this kind of thing - a bit like those strobe/flashing light warnings they do?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Either show stuff like that after the watershed or tag it with a warning like "this next report contains scenes that some most people may will find distressing"

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Personally I think that the suggestion that the credibility of the BBC was reduced because of the potential non appearance of a potential winner or two is utter shite, as has been pointed out already, ffs it's not as if I sneaked into third place behind Percy's dog and the park keeper is it?

Adam, You've been guilty of using 'your' instead of "you're" (etc) on so many occasions I really can't be bothered to find a few examples, so perhaps rather than being a twunt you should just admit that you were too lazy, drunk or what ever to pay attention to what you were typing.  Far better that than carry on as you have. 

I think an apology is in order, if you have any idea of the work and personal committments that go into an event like this you'd realise that a potential clash of a domestic comp with the first world cup bouldering event to be held in the UK (I could be wrong) with all that goes with it is a small price to pay.

From the perspective of a paying punter I thought that the comp was really very well organised and the event overall goes from strength to strength.  It's easy to snipe from the margins but when you consider the overall economic situation to get the event to develop as it has gives it the potential to go on and become a calandar fixture and attract not only the world's best climbers but also other genuinely exciting events.

As for it being a 'pay' event, yeah fuck me a whole £5, what do they say you get 'nowt for nowt'?

But, then again it would probably clash with the British Moaning Cup so best not come along eh? :-[

Red

• addict
Adam, You've been guilty of using 'your' instead of "you're" (etc) on so many occasions I really can't be bothered to find a few examples, so perhaps rather than being a twunt you should just admit that you were too lazy, drunk or what ever to pay attention to what you were typing.  Far better that than carry on as you have. 
It's easy to snipe from the margins but when you consider the overall economic situation to get the event to develop as it has gives it the potential to go on and become a calandar fixture and attract not only the world's best climbers but also other genuinely exciting events.

pot kettle black? what is wrong with you people? are you the spelling police or summit? why not have a pop at dense he can't spell for shit

account_inactive

• forum hero
How do we spell calendar? Ha ha ha

Sloper

• forum hero
I don't know how do we spelll it, i plede not giving a shit and stuff innit.

Actually, I couldn't be arsed reading my contribution.

RED the point is that if you're unable to communicate effectively in your own language then it fundamentally undermines the validity of the point you're seeking to make.

As for spelling and Dense's shocking internet downwifdakidz etc.  I wouldn't be psuprised if that's a paraody, besides I've only ever puntered someone for such and offence and I was drunk at the time and in a bad mood.

Of course we all make typographical errors from time to time, but as greyhum has pointed out there's a difference between an honest typo, as per my f.p. above and an illiterate fuck up.  Grown ups know the difference, are you a grown up?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
From the perspective of a paying punter I thought that the comp was really very well organised and the event overall goes from strength to strength. 

Whoa  :o Hold the front page.

Where's the anti-comp invective??. I'm certain that you gave me both barrels for being mildly supportive about comps on UKC a few years ago. Is this some new Lib-Dem coalition policy that you're toeing the line on?

Red

• addict
You are laughable Sloper. Am I a grown up?  :wall:

The point was made by Adam, regardless of how it was spelled, and it was understood in its intended context by just about everyone who reads this forum.

What is tedious is you guys clinging on to every spelling mistake just to poke fun at people who you don't agree with. Childish oneupsmanship Sloper?

Sloper

• forum hero
Fuck off.

mutatis mutandis.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Personally I think that the suggestion that the credibility of the BBC was reduced because of the potential non appearance of a potential winner or two is utter shite, as has been pointed out already, ffs it's not as if I sneaked into third place behind Percy's dog and the park keeper is it?

I think an apology is in order, if you have any idea of the work and personal committments that go into an event like this you'd realise that a potential clash of a domestic comp with the first world cup bouldering event to be held in the UK (I could be wrong) with all that goes with it is a small price to pay.

Sloper, check the spelling on what you just posted first, before banging on at me.  :wank:
As for an apology. Ha ha, you must be high! After the abuse i got. It was just 'my' opinion about the comp. I stated this opinion. This doesn't make it right or wrong. No one ever said Graeme wasn't doing a top job. In fact, i think i even said he WAS...

Red

• addict

Sloper

• forum hero
From the perspective of a paying punter I thought that the comp was really very well organised and the event overall goes from strength to strength. 

Where's the anti-comp invective??. I'm certain that you gave me both barrels for being mildly supportive about comps on UKC a few years ago. Is this some new Lib-Dem coalition policy that you're toeing the line on?

Personally I hate competitions particularly the twatfest that was the BMC leading ladder (god I hope it has died a death), and I would also like to see all climbing walls razed to the ground in a bonfire of t nuts and resin, before shortly moving on to the indiscriminate machine gunning of top ropers; sure a few wheel chair users will be collateral damage but it's a price worth paying.  I can then stride the edges in pure ethical superiority safe in the knowledge that I'll never get caught chipping holds.

All that aside, the snide comments which reflect on both the winners of the BBC and the organisers of the competitions is rather unpleasant and uncalled for (not to mention irrational).

As for the Lib Dem / Tory Civil Partnership don't even get me started.

Adam, you know I'd call you a twat to your face, why not accept the fact that your comments were a mile off and that you rightly got pinged for it?  As for puntering me, how very childish, I won't bother responding in kind.

Red, shall I go find a Pears or similar so we can pretend that we're all learned and that? 

Red

• addict

Red, shall I go find a Pears or similar so we can pretend that we're all learned and that?

erm, you started it. who do you think you are, Jim Perrin?

Sloper

• forum hero
I don't need a Pears for my Latin (cue sound of former Latin master breaking through the lid of his coffin) I would have been a Judge you know.

No, I rather think of myself as the bastard hybrid of Johnny Dawes and Margret Thatcher, but with better taste in womens clothes than either.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog

Adam, you know I'd call you a twat to your face, why not accept the fact that your comments were a mile off and that you rightly got pinged for it?

A mile off? I guess all the others who shared my opinion are miles off too? The only difference was i didn't keep these opinions to myself.
Oh and next time i see you at the crag Sloper, i won't need to humour you like last time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal