UKBouldering.com

Sharky's blog (Read 5421 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Sharky's blog
June 19, 2010, 09:02:55 pm
I've just realised that this is as good a place as any to start a blog - so I am (hope that's OK Toby?). If anyone wants to do so as well ... fill your boots.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1 Re: Sharky's blog
June 19, 2010, 09:08:11 pm
Today. Saturday. It was just another day at the Cornice. Ive been walking in and out of Chee Dale from Worm Hill for 25 years . Familiarity doesn’t always breed contempt but a warm home-from-home feeling. It was an early start by Peak standards. Simon Davies had arranged to return some gear  that he’d mistakenly picked up at Worm Hill to Nik Jennings at 9.30am . I was late so didn’t get to meet Nik. I walked down to the Cornice with Pip (my collie) and met Simon there. Compared to the sweatiness of Thursday evening conditions were deliciously  cool. I felt oddly unmotivated but happy to be here.

We warmed up on Clarion Call but Simon had a tweaky elbow. I had a play on the top rope on Poppy Fields to see if I could make the finish more independent. I decided it wasn’t worthwhile as it didn’t climb well but  that a seperate new belay rather than one shared with Clarion Call was the best solution. I then belayed Simon so he could start the intial clean up of Monumental  Armblaster. The crag started to get busier - all familar faces (of varying vagueness) or friends. I was trying K3 (Cos its harder than K2)– Seb’s mega route from the 90s – and an old project of mine that I had put some time in on 10? Years ago. I had another play 5 years ago but split a tip. I've had quite a few visits again this year and had made good progress – but not today. Simon left and I climbed on with JonBoy Fulwood – he nearly did it – twice. Rob Napier looked super-strong on it and Joe Le Sage went on it but I had gone for a walk with Pip.

I like to sneak off for a walk in the middle of the day when I’m at Chee Dale - if I can get away with it. Up along the river towards Moving Buttress up the steps onto the old railway line and following it back through the tunnel scoping climbers on the other side to see if I recognise them. Neil and Ruth at Nettle (tick) and Dave and Sarah on Spizz Energy Wall (tick).Back on K3 for my 4th go but I was burnt out. I gave Jonboy one last belay before heading out at 6pm.

It was just another day at the Cornice. Driving home through the lovely Derbyshire countryside I reflected not for the first time how lucky I was to have had so many days like this.         

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Sharky's blog
June 19, 2010, 10:01:23 pm
1.  Jennings ain't worth meeting   ;D
2.  Why don't you do a blog on blogspot or similar then add it to the Blog Pile?

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Sharky's blog
June 19, 2010, 10:16:31 pm
I had another play 5 years ago but split a tip.

First person to give an eager youth a lift to the cornice around about then. Shame I got absolutely spanked. A fair introduction to Peak Limestone.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#4 Re: Sharky's blog
June 19, 2010, 10:41:51 pm
First person to give an eager youth a lift to the cornice around about then. Shame I got absolutely spanked. A fair introduction to Peak Limestone.

I remember driving out with you but not what we did. Did we both try K3?   

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#5 Re: Sharky's blog
June 19, 2010, 10:44:38 pm
2.  Why don't you do a blog on blogspot or similar then add it to the Blog Pile?

Are there any advantages ? I'm am a Luddite and indolent. Been meaning to start one (not sure why) and this seems an easy way to do it.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: Sharky's blog
June 19, 2010, 10:51:44 pm
Other than the links to/from other blogs/websites, it probably isn't any better.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Sharky's blog
June 19, 2010, 10:57:51 pm

I remember driving out with you but not what we did. Did we both try K3?

Strangely I can remembe the drive as well...

Clarion Call, then you were K3, I was 'hanginge around' on Powerplant, then some thin thing on the RHS with mark, 3rd reich maybe?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#8 Re: Sharky's blog
June 19, 2010, 11:58:09 pm
when u said some thin thing i thought maybe u :whistle:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#9 Re: Sharky's blog
June 23, 2010, 10:00:42 am
I've re-started my blog with our sponsors www.27crags.com  :wave:

It was easy peasy to set up even for a Luddite like moi.

http://27crags.com/climbers/shark
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:09:16 am by shark, Reason: add link »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal