UKBouldering.com

Rocklands - knee pads? (Read 4250 times)

T_B

• forum hero
Rocklands - knee pads?
June 18, 2010, 05:23:37 pm
Anyone know if you can buy these in the UK, or do you have to make? I thought I might get one as I'm off to Rocklands in July and keep seeing videos of people wearing knee pads. Maybe it's just on the harder stuff, but there does look to be a lot of roofy weirdness.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Rocklands - knee pads?
June 18, 2010, 06:21:56 pm
Presumably, there was someone with one at the cornice on weds.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Rocklands - knee pads?
June 18, 2010, 08:29:13 pm
Mawson had a neoprene knee support that he sent off to Feet First who stuck on some Five Ten dotty rubber, its the best one I've seen so far apart from maybe Variable's splayed Anasazi with heel on the knee  ;)

account_inactive

• forum hero
#3 Re: Rocklands - knee pads?
June 18, 2010, 09:41:56 pm
Feetfirst wanted £25 just for the rubber from me.  So I bought one from Australia here

http://qurank.com/upskillclimbing/kneepads/

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 Re: Rocklands - knee pads?
June 21, 2010, 08:21:43 am
Mawson had a neoprene knee support that he sent off to Feet First who stuck on some Five Ten dotty rubber, its the best one I've seen so far apart from maybe Variable's splayed Anasazi with heel on the knee  ;)
I had one of these neoprene ones but prefer home made jobs. I did a lot of messing around with different pads when in Rodellar for two months. The problem with the neoprene ones are that they're none-adjustable and come in only one size so are unlikely to be a good fit, they rapidly fill up with sweat, they slide around on the knee and they’re too thin to be any use on painful kneebars.
You can easily make better ones using gaffer tape, rollmat sponge and a pair of thick shoe laces.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Rocklands - knee pads?
June 21, 2010, 09:37:41 am
If you don't sort one out I wouldn't sweat about it. Squillions of excellent probs there where you don't need one, throughout the grades.

T_B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Rocklands - knee pads?
June 21, 2010, 12:28:23 pm
Sounds like I might just chuck in some duct tape and a bit of carry mat.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Rocklands - knee pads?
June 21, 2010, 01:23:22 pm
The problem with the neoprene ones are that they're none-adjustable and come in only one size so are unlikely to be a good fit, they rapidly fill up with sweat, they slide around on the knee and they’re too thin to be any use on painful kneebars.
You can easily make better ones using gaffer tape, rollmat sponge and a pair of thick shoe laces.

Hmm sorry but mine was bought from the sports store next to the supermarket you use at Rodellar and they came in all shapes and sizes including ones which had shaping for the knee to stop them moving. If they didn't I'd never find one to stay up, just  think of my leg and then someones like JamesDs'?
I have to admit that they are very sweaty and I'll surrender to the knowledge of Bonjoy on kneebars/pads as they're not really my forte.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#8 Re: Rocklands - knee pads?
June 21, 2010, 04:01:18 pm
The problem with the neoprene ones are that they're none-adjustable and come in only one size so are unlikely to be a good fit, they rapidly fill up with sweat, they slide around on the knee and they’re too thin to be any use on painful kneebars.

Hmm sorry but mine was bought from the sports store next to the supermarket you use at Rodellar and they came in all shapes and sizes including ones which had shaping for the knee to stop them moving. If they didn't I'd never find one to stay up, just  think of my leg and then someones like JamesDs'?
I have to admit that they are very sweaty and I'll surrender to the knowledge of Bonjoy on kneebars/pads as they're not really my forte.

:lol: I used to have that problem with bmx knee pads, went through about 3 different brands before I found a pair that actually stayed up for more than half an hour before being pushed down to my calves by my quads, but the only pair that were actually fitting me properly were also making me unbelievably sweaty, so I just stopped wearing them and just wore shin pads  ::)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#9 Re: Rocklands - knee pads?
June 21, 2010, 04:13:15 pm
Probably the same place I got mine Paul, but they only had one size at the time. It did have a hole in the back to stabilise it around the knee, but it wasn't super effective, I prefer lacing or straps.

Willriseley

• player
  • idiot child
#10 Re: Rocklands - knee pads?
June 21, 2010, 10:56:17 pm
Now im not saying these will/wont work but i have used these for the past few years skating and never get any trouble with them, they get a bit hot so slip them off when you slip off your shoes for a rest

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=5bp&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&q=federal+knee+pads&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=2d8fTNa6A5S7jAe10q2qCg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDIQrQQwAg

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Rocklands - knee pads?
June 27, 2010, 10:25:26 am
Feetfirst wanted £25 just for the rubber from me.  So I bought one from Australia here

http://qurank.com/upskillclimbing/kneepads/

Which one did you get,
Upskill Classic Kneebar Pad  or  Upskill Friction Kneebar Pad?

They look good but do you rate it??

Cheers. :)

account_inactive

• forum hero
#12 Re: Rocklands - knee pads?
June 27, 2010, 11:38:04 am
Just arrived yesterday :)

Seems well made, fits where it should and arrived within 2 weeks.  I went with this one

Not had chance to use it yet but will report back

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Rocklands - knee pads?
June 27, 2010, 11:46:32 am
that does look the better of the two :thumbsup:.  What price did it end up including p and p?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal