UKBouldering.com

[North Yorkshire Moors] [various] [6A+ - 7B+] (Read 2636 times)

Steve R

• forum abuser
Myself and a mate have been quite busy the past few months scouring the North Yorks Moors for bouldering potential.  We've found and done a host of good quality problems on nice sandstone over a series of weekend visits.  The main drawback is that the quality is nearly always isolated so a fairly hefty legwork to good problem ratio is necessary....

Anyway, on the off chance anyone might be interested, I thought I'd post up a selection of the best stuff we've come across.  For relatively local folk looking for some quality mid-grade esoterica, in great secluded settings on rock which remains pleasurable to pull on in the summer heat, I'd say the following are all worth the effort.  But then I would say that I suppose.  I'll add each venue as a new post.....

Should be able to find useful info (like say, where the problems are) on my friends site: www.betaguides.com (zoom in on the map on the moors and I think he's added most of the area loacations....)

Steve R

• forum abuser
Camp Hill problems:

Philleas Fogg, 7A.  Cool wall a few hundred metres left of the main crag.  Some other easier stuff on this boulder and a left to right traverse of the face and around the arete climbs well.

Strict Arete, 7A+.  On the large boulder beneath the main crag.  A bit wierd but a logical eliminate - hands only allowed pinching the arete.  Nice movement.  Might need doubled pads to facilitate pull on, hmmm.  Still waiting to be linked from sit start...  Again, more decent easier stuff on this boulder.

Steve R

• forum abuser
Stormy Hall – a mini crag right by the road.  Easily combined with Camp Hill as only 5 min drive between parking places.

Problems:

Body Torque, 7B+.  The obvious steep prow from sitting.

Angry Woodlouse, 6C.  Nice wall up behind Body Torque prow.

Also some less good stuff down the bottom of the slope – almost decent warm up traverse and a nice slab with awquard sit starts...

Steve R

• forum abuser
Earthworks Rocks and Tranmire - two venues easily combined from the same parking.  Some established stuff already mainly by Steve Crow @ Earthworks.  Left hand end of Tranmire has this:
42, 7A+.  Nice steep arete from sitting:

And this:
Pythagorianism, 6A+.  Nice short steep wall:

Whilst at Earthworks, did this:
Holeshot, 6B+.  Good power glide move:

That's all for tonight.  Since there's no info around for moors bouldering, would be great to hear about any other decent problems people have done in the area (if any!?). 

If any interest, I can post some more areas up too.
cheers

TomP

• obsessive maniac
    • www.tompeckittclimbing.com
These look great and nice to see some more Yorkshire development. I'm keen for a visit and hearing about other areas. I know some people who have done stuff up that way but no details. Philleas Fogg looks excellent.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal