UKBouldering.com

Ipad (Read 4097 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Ipad
May 28, 2010, 04:35:40 pm
I had a play on one of these yesterday (a colleague had one at a meeting I went to - a USA one pre UK launch) and was kind of underwhelmed...
Felt surprisingly heavy and a thick band around the screen... nice display, nice to use/user interface etc...
The book reading app was good, nice touches on turning the pages etc.. and web pages looked great at that size (compared to Iphone) though no flash of course. The larger keyboard was surprisingly usable - but nowhere like a proper one.

I was kind of left wondering what the point was though..... if they were £200-250 it'd be great for sofa surfing while the telly was on etc.. or reading an ebook in bed or on the bus (if you would do such a thing) but for £430 or more - seems like a rip off.....

:shrug:

Anyone here taken the plunge??

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Ipad
May 28, 2010, 05:06:51 pm
Is it called the Ipad because it's sold to bloody cxxts?

(Apologies to every I have offended).

chillax

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Ipad
May 28, 2010, 05:21:45 pm
The only place ipad is on slabs. The device seems a bit pointless to me. With any luck apple will have developed a smaller, pocket sized one in a couple of years anyway.....oh wait.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#3 Re: Ipad
May 28, 2010, 07:24:24 pm
Big waste of time if you ask me - no external memory slots, no usb, no exchangeable battery and a bit big to lug around outside. Oh and the dock that you can buy to connect it to a TV only has a vga connection - who the fuck designed that shit. It's not like only a  minority of tv's have hdmi. 

I'm probably gonna get the dell streak next week. Runs android, supports flash sites. External sd memory slot, 3g + wifi,  swappable battery and a much more sensible size. 

The ipad seems poorly designed if you ask me... A nice interface but 400 squid for a fancy ebook reader - wtf?

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Ipad
May 28, 2010, 08:01:15 pm
Big waste of time if you ask me - no external memory slots, no usb, no exchangeable battery and a bit big to lug around outside. Oh and the dock that you can buy to connect it to a TV only has a vga connection - who the fuck designed that shit. It's not like only a  minority of tv's have hdmi. 

I'm probably gonna get the dell streak next week. Runs android, supports flash sites. External sd memory slot, 3g + wifi,  swappable battery and a much more sensible size. 

The ipad seems poorly designed if you ask me... A nice interface but 400 squid for a fancy ebook reader - wtf?

It is actually quite a good size - but its no phone replacement for sure... (because you cant use it as a phone!) You're looking at more like £600 for the spec of the streak thing.. though they look odd too (or maybe different) - There was one on the BBC earlier and Rory C.Jones was using it, and looked like a kid holding an Iphone!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Ipad
May 28, 2010, 09:33:50 pm
There was one on the BBC earlier and Rory C.Jones was using it, and looked like a kid holding an Iphone!

Wonder if Dennis Waterman has one?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#6 Re: Ipad
May 28, 2010, 10:26:58 pm
As  mac o phile I can say.. It's good for your mum... to piss about on in her house.. owt else.. useless for the UK

However, This was the same for the first iphone..

give us in the UK a usb.. and then it's a winner..

I'll be waiting for the 2nd coming..

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#7 Re: Ipad
May 29, 2010, 07:25:41 pm
It is actually quite a good size - but its no phone replacement for sure... (because you cant use it as a phone!) You're looking at more like £600 for the spec of the streak thing.. though they look odd too (or maybe different) - There was one on the BBC earlier and Rory C.Jones was using it, and looked like a kid holding an Iphone!
So the question is what is the Ipad designed for? Is it designed to mainly stay in your house or used out and about?

Web browsing - it doesn't support flash.
Ebook reader - tis a bit big and how does the screen cope in sunlight? (genuine question - am intrigued..I have a Sony eReader and it's belting in all lighting conditions)
Watching films - yeah nice screen size, but you have to either download the films/stream them or connect the thing up to............oh a computer.
..... or something else?

Or maybe I'm being too cynical...

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#8 Re: Ipad
May 30, 2010, 12:37:14 pm
Interesting review from a mac junkie here.

yorkshirewarcry

• player
#9 Re: Ipad
May 31, 2010, 02:15:21 pm
As  mac o phile I can say.. It's good for your mum... to piss about on in her house.. owt else.. useless for the UK

:lol:

I was in a "best buy" Apple store in the USA yesterday, having a wee look at the i-pad.  The two people who bought one while I happened to be there were both women in their 60s.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Ipad
May 31, 2010, 06:15:07 pm
I could see them being very useful to kill time in boring meetings/conferences - as not too large and no key press noises to piss other people off... but too much for what they are shirley..

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#11 Re: Ipad
May 31, 2010, 10:44:24 pm
I have been buying Macs exclusively since 2002. Liked most things I have seen up to and including my son's iPod Touch. Today a Brit friend at work was demoing his iPad and I was very underwhelmed. An expensive sofa toy for people intimidated by normal computers. That and Apple being the world's second largest stock by value all suggest to me that the Apple wave is about to break.

I agree..

next year.. USB port, to comply with the global charger thing.. we  all get to charge from the same interface off the gadget.. then we can use dongles.. then I & 10s of 1000s who use macs for work will buy.

I hope!

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#12 Re: Ipad
June 16, 2010, 05:25:46 pm
So the question is what is the Ipad designed for?
Hurray - I've found a use!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: Ipad
August 25, 2010, 01:28:31 pm
The real reason Apple produced the iPad was so Sumo wrestlers don't feel left out of the iphone craze  :lol: :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal