UKBouldering.com

What finger/arm muscle/tendon have I hurt? (Read 1433 times)

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
At the wall today fell off a problem, RH on a not particularly crimpy pocket, RH ring finger was the last to depart and as it did I felt something wasn't right, pain from the base(ish) of the finger going to about 3 inches below the wrist.  After immediately stopping and icing it is clear something is wrong, finger is stiff and sore to bend around the base.  Also I have localised pain if I press in the middle of my palm.  If I try and resist with the finger, the pain seems to be more in the palm and also the forearm.

I am used to ring pulley tweaks, which this doesn't appear to be what are the other suspects.  Also before I am told to, a visit to the physio is already planned it is just good to know what to possibly expect.

Thanks in advance!

[edit]I have done some searching and it appears the FDS? tendon/muscle is a likely possibility, what is this and what is the general rehab for it, I have mainly seen advice concerning injuries in the fingers, rather than lower down the chain.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:31:34 pm by sidewinder »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Sounds like a flexor strain of some sort, but you're doing the right thing by seeing someone.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
Thanks GCW I  have seen and read some of your v useful advice already.  What exactly is a flexor, is it related to the FDS?  As well as booking to see someone I am also icing, but am not sure which site is the best to ice, base of finger, palm, forearm or all three?  Answers on a postcard (or here?)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Wherever is tender is a fair bet for icing.

The flexor unit involves anything that bends the finger- A-pulleys, flexor tendons (FDS, FDP), lumbricals, C-pulleys, interossei to a degree adn potentially some involvement of the ligamentous components- check reign (volar plate), collaterals, interosseous tissues etc.

As you can see, it's quite complex so seeing someone that knows is your best option.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal