UKBouldering.com

Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad? (Read 7997 times)

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 04, 2011, 03:59:28 pm
Reading another thread elsewhere (UKC) it was mentioned in passing that the evidence for the benefits of Glucosamine is at best inconclusive. Then they mentioned they became dependant  :o and once they stopped taking it the pain was worse... this is the first time I have heard anything like this  :-\ My doctor advised that they often reccomend Glucosamine as a first stage non-prescibed treatment for arthritic and other joint pains

Wondered if we have anyone out there who can offer any informed as opposed to anecdotal advice? I take a capsule each day and it has helped with joint aches post training and seems (for me at 48) to be a tangible benefit, ditto a relative who is a landscapde gardner and even at his age (sub 30) got considerable benefit from joint pains after starting to use the supplement.

Thanks, H

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 04, 2011, 04:03:19 pm
I think this is covered in the dupuytren's contracture thread  :shrug:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 04, 2011, 04:04:08 pm
The most recent SCIENCE says it's a load of crap, but a lot of people still swear by it.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#3 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 04, 2011, 04:08:21 pm
My ex-housemate was doing a postdoc on tendons and she said glucosamine supplements were a total waste of time.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#4 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 04, 2011, 04:51:34 pm
isn't glucosamine intended as a regenerative/protective supplement for cartilage and the joints?  I don't think it's ever been sold as a tendon restorer.  From what I gather (anecdotally), some people swear by it - mainly people with dodgy knees who tend to equate its effects with taking a couple of iboprofens.  Personally, I didn't notice and benefits - it's cheap enough from Healthspan so probably worth a look if you're curious.

Re tendons, the only supplement I've come across is bromolein - the protease enzyme found naturally in pineapples (cooks know all about it - pineapples stop gelatin from setting, dooming jellies to failure).  THe thinking is that it helps break down connective / scar tissue and aids regeneration - not tried it myself (but a weightlifting friend swore by it) - anyone any experience / knowledge of trials.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#5 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 04, 2011, 05:01:43 pm
I had a knee cartilage op a few years back and was advised to take GS to assist recovery. After a few weeks all my joints were cracking like fuck and I stopped using it. My joints stopped cracking pretty much immediately. Doubt I'd use it again.

inn wislon

• regular
    • I'll get you, Butler!
#6 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 05, 2011, 12:08:32 am
...I'm heading straight for the pineapple then.....

according to 'The joy of teen sex' it makes your cum taste great as well  :thumbsup:

mikester

• regular
#7 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 10, 2011, 06:40:05 am
The evidence is equivocal - certainly nowhere near as clear-cut as the pill-pushers would suggest - but by for the best study to date suggests that there may be potential benefits for treating osteoarthritis, with few side effects.

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002946.html

I guess the advice would be that there's no harm trying.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 10, 2011, 07:09:37 am
Didn't help my various aches and pains and gave me the runs.  It was advertised as helping with osteoarthritis but never tendon problems.  Earlier clinical trials were small-scale, often sponsored by manufacturers and generally suggested small benefits.  Larger, more recent clinical trials have generally suggested no effect beyond placebo.  This is not to say that a few individuals might find it helpful. 

Glucosamine is classed as a food by most drug regulation bodies so has not had the testing for side-effects that conventional medicines do.  Most people seem to have no short-term ill-effects and I think dependency is unlikely.  A few people get stomach problems like me.  Some people, including posters here, have reported it makes Dupuytren’s contracture worse.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#9 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 10, 2011, 08:51:14 am
........nowhere near as clear-cut as the pill-pushers......

So by saying not to take a pill that may be useless, you are a pill pusher?

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 10, 2011, 10:53:42 am
The most recent SCIENCE says it's a load of crap, but a lot of people still swear by it.

Just like God.  I put God and glucosamine in the same category.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#11 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 10, 2011, 10:56:40 am
Except you have to pay for Glucosamine, and (as far as I know) there haven't been any wars over glucosamine.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 10, 2011, 11:07:07 am
A lot of people pay donate to their religion too.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#13 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 10, 2011, 11:11:27 am
The operative phrase being have to.   :P

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#14 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 10, 2011, 12:49:19 pm
The operative phrase being have to.   :P

I think there's a few religions were you have to give a percentage of your income to the church (Jehovas, Mormons).
And clearly you've forgotten about the Glucosamine crusades and the Chrondroitin inquisition.

mikester

• regular
#15 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 10, 2011, 01:20:00 pm
Just because it's part of cartilage production doesn't mean ingesting the stuff will lead to more cartilage. If this kind of pathway held true I'd eat Paul Robinson and climb V16. Anyway, I'm all for it - I'm making a fortune from my crustacean farm.

ducko

• junky
#16 Re: Glucosamine Supplements - Good or bad?
February 15, 2011, 12:55:36 am
i used too have bad knees from mountain biking,
i was taking GS and cod liver at the time,
and my problems seemed too clear up,
either this was down too not riding as much or maybe one of these supplements helped im not sure, but i recovered quickly.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal