UKBouldering.com

Thin tips skin (Read 17991 times)

Three Nine

• forum hero
#25 Re: Thin tips skin
June 10, 2010, 11:17:09 am
An update incase anyone's interested. My tips are sorted. I've switched to superchalk, stopped using climb-on and now use antihydral/stump cream. Thanks to all who helped.

Where can i get some of this? I want to try it out on my udder. (no seriously, where?)

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#26 Re: Thin tips skin
June 10, 2010, 12:22:29 pm
the antihydral? I got three tubes from here

http://www.apotheke-online-internet.de/p52729_antihydral-salbe.html

which worked out at 9 pounds a tube. Postage is about 11 euros or something. One tube will last at least a year but I got one for a friend and a spare. The works sell it apparently for 15 pounds a tube.

It's like a paste that you smear on your tips, don't get it near the joint creases, then leave to dry and either leave it on overnight or while you watch a film or something before washing it off. What it does is basically reduce sweating. So the skin dries out and is able to thicken as it's more resistant to abrasion. Apply too much and I expect it'll crack but the stuff arrived before a long weekend away to gordale and I'm not joking when I say my tips were in a better state after than when I left. In fact my thumb tips were the most sore because I hadn't used any on them!

rodma

• forum hero
#27 Re: Thin tips skin
June 10, 2010, 01:01:24 pm
the antihydral? I got three tubes from here

http://www.apotheke-online-internet.de/p52729_antihydral-salbe.html

which worked out at 9 pounds a tube. Postage is about 11 euros or something. One tube will last at least a year but I got one for a friend and a spare. The works sell it apparently for 15 pounds a tube.

It's like a paste that you smear on your tips, don't get it near the joint creases, then leave to dry and either leave it on overnight or while you watch a film or something before washing it off. What it does is basically reduce sweating. So the skin dries out and is able to thicken as it's more resistant to abrasion. Apply too much and I expect it'll crack but the stuff arrived before a long weekend away to gordale and I'm not joking when I say my tips were in a better state after than when I left. In fact my thumb tips were the most sore because I hadn't used any on them!

I bought from Mycare.de Significantly cheaper, but the same expensive postage.

Douglas, listen to Dylan re: superchalk and stump combination.

And by no means put the stump cream on the joints themselves, only put it on the pads, or you're all but gauranteed a split

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#28 Re: Thin tips skin
June 10, 2010, 01:16:07 pm
By all means check mycare but I thought the postage was more and the tubes no cheaper.

I'll stay aware of the superchalk stump combo but tbh I don't notice a difference between superchalk and others because my hands are moister than most. Cheers though.

Doug

Three Nine

• forum hero
#29 Re: Thin tips skin
June 10, 2010, 05:24:42 pm
Sorry, i meant udder cream.

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
#30 Re: Thin tips skin
June 10, 2010, 05:41:00 pm

google is your friend. you can get original udder cream in tins from vet suppliers or what seems to be the same stuff but in fancier looking packaging being sold as a cosmetic!

account_inactive

• forum hero
#31 Re: Thin tips skin
June 10, 2010, 07:01:35 pm
By all means check mycare but I thought the postage was more and the tubes no cheaper.

I'll stay aware of the superchalk stump combo but tbh I don't notice a difference between superchalk and others because my hands are moister than most. Cheers though.

Doug

I too have VERY wet hands, but after using AH you gain a yellowish layer to your skin that is kinda glassy.  So much so that I have to spit on my hands for them to take chalk.  Using Super chalk in this instance will fuck you up especially, if you are like me, you are used to having soft skin. I'd never used hand cream (and didn't see the point) until discovering AH.

On another note does anyone have any science on how AH works?  From my experience it doesn't seem to grow skin, more stop skin from shedding and then letting it build up underneath.  Thoughts? 

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#32 Re: Thin tips skin
June 10, 2010, 10:13:59 pm

I got mine on eBay from the US. A great big jar of the stuff cost me about 10 bucks and the postage was minimal. Just search for Vermonts Original Bag Balm.

rodma

• forum hero
#33 Re: Thin tips skin
June 11, 2010, 12:05:58 pm

It my well be now, it def used to be cheaper though

rodma

• forum hero
#34 Re: Thin tips skin
June 11, 2010, 12:33:10 pm

which worked out at 9 pounds a tube. Postage is about 11 euros or something.

I'm confused as to how this is cheaper than at 5.71 euros a tube, but I'm easily confused

chris_j_s

• menacing presence
#35 Re: Thin tips skin
June 11, 2010, 12:52:38 pm
Three Nine, you could get some from a local farm vet (my wife is a vet so she picked some up for me) or there are plenty of farm/vet suppliers around. Heres one example I found (£4.61 for 400g, which will last forever but if you're a heavy user there's always the option to get 4kg for £28.99!!) :

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~product_id=3033?gclid=CMGk_rH6l6ICFVKZ2AoddEK2Ww

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#36 Re: Thin tips skin
June 11, 2010, 01:05:51 pm

I'm confused as to how this is cheaper than at 5.71 euros a tube, but I'm easily confused

meant 9 pounds included postage. sorry

rodma

• forum hero
#37 Re: Thin tips skin
June 11, 2010, 03:21:23 pm

meant 9 pounds included postage. sorry

Ahhh, that makes a lot more sense now.

The very first time I ordered from mycare (bloody years ago) overseas postage wasn't an option on their order form so I sent an email (in English) asking if there was another way of ordering.

They said if I emailed them my credit card details they could sort it out, which did seem dodgy but I went for it telling them I wanted two tubes of stump.

The stump arrived two days later and they didn't charge my card for almost a month, and when they did it worked out about £7/tube. I've felt somewhat loyal to them since then, as they were so helpful at the time. Not that the repeat business is worth much to them, ordering two tubes of stump every 3 years or so.  :shrug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal