UKBouldering.com

Pinch Strength Training. (Read 12332 times)

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
Pinch Strength Training.
May 10, 2010, 11:45:44 am
Yo,
      does anyone recommend Captains Of Crush (or other cheaper alternatives) for increasing pinch strength?  Got a cheap hand crusher which has a twisty dial which it says goes from 10KG to 40Kg (in what ever arbitrary measure that is). Its defaintely hard to close (for me!).

Also i was thinking making it more specific to climbing pinching. would you think it would be better to use the devices between the thumb and the fingers rather than the palm and the fingers?  Would have to reduce the weight used but it is more akin to the actual pinch useage most commonly found?

Cheers
Tim

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#1 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 10, 2010, 12:06:40 pm
your probably better off pinching a brick or some weights, bit more specific i think. Not sure how much use the captains of crush type things are i have never used them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 10, 2010, 12:18:00 pm
I've got a couple of small spring collars which I think are meant to be used for holding weights in place on bars, but I find quite handy as small "CoC"s and can be used for pinching either fingers to thumb or fingers to palm.

They are cheap as buttons, so worth a try in case they are what you are after.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0015ULV16/ref=oss_product

They don't last forever though, I have broken two through overuse.

clm

• forum hero
#3 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 10, 2010, 05:15:55 pm
carry breeze blocks everywhere or just MTFU

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#4 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 10, 2010, 06:29:51 pm
I've been using captain of crushers in the usual manner, and have been using gripmasters to improve my crimp/pinch grip strength, if you really want to up your pinch grip, you want some of this cool shizzle:

http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/strength-training-equipment/pinch-grip/pullum-telegraph-key/prod_431.html

Had a go on one a few years back, and I would buy my own if the missus would let me spend the money ;)

Very awesome.

abarro81

• forum hero
#5 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 10, 2010, 06:34:21 pm
For £120 I'm sure you could buy a few bits of banister and find a way of hanging them off a chin up bar...

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#6 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 10, 2010, 06:57:51 pm
True.... it is expensive, but it does actually work your pinch grip through the whole range of motion, and you can plate load it with as much or as little weight as you want, a lot more than can be said for a couple of pieces of banister and a pull-up bar ;)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#7 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 10, 2010, 07:01:58 pm
Powerball & skipping.

General labouring etc..  +1 on the breezeblock tip.

clm

• forum hero
#8 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 10, 2010, 09:36:20 pm
scratch the breeze block suggestion. Hows about climbing a lot...on pinches.

Some of these questions are startingto get well bleeding CT

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 10, 2010, 10:06:14 pm
scratch the breeze block suggestion. Hows about climbing a lot...on pinches.

where? I can never find any outside (or not many anyway). Could try Pinches Wall I guess  ;D

a dense loner

• forum hero
#10 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 10, 2010, 11:06:11 pm
superb pinching tips off clm who couldn't pinch his nose :spank:

thustler

• regular
#11 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 10, 2010, 11:34:53 pm
Read something about a guy training to do a pull up the rafters of his basement, i.e pull up on vertical pinches basically. The basic jist of it was he practised by getting two weight plates and squeexing them together and doing bicep curls with them. hope this helps.

Edit: found the article http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/137/

andy caunce

#12 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 17, 2010, 04:11:51 pm
Aslong as your exercising all the differnt types of grip strength and your working to lower your overall body weight (without loosing muscle) then your gona get far fast.
Stronger grip lighter bodyweight = climbing like a machine. :thumbsup:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#13 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 17, 2010, 11:25:14 pm
and spelling like a deranged american one

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 26, 2010, 09:25:42 am
thanks for the comments.

i went ahead and purchased a CoC No1  which i cannot close.  So now i have a measureable goal to achieve its time to train. 

Incidentally the package said i was supposed to get a small training booklet with it.  :rtfm: Which was obviously missing  :wall: , anyone got an online copy of booklet or similar? 

Cheers
tim

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 26, 2010, 09:32:28 am
With no idea what it looks like a quick :google: (<-- clicky for more possible hits  ;)) led to this potentially useful reference.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#16 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 26, 2010, 09:40:27 am
I would have maybe got 1-2 easier ones so you can warm up before playing with the harder COC?

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#17 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 26, 2010, 09:41:26 am
With no idea what it looks like a quick :google: (<-- clicky for more possible hits  ;)) led to this potentially useful reference.

Cheers Mate. i did look through their website a few times but only appeared to find more options to leech money. Including paying a monthly rate in order to access training resources.  Not sure if that booklet is the same one or not but appears to feature training using one of 23 different items which are purchaseable.....nice.

Tim

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 26, 2010, 09:44:15 am
I would have maybe got 1-2 easier ones so you can warm up before playing with the harder COC?

aye well ive got a none CoC one which is supposed to go from 10-40KG which (if on the same scale as the coc) would be 88lbs and the coc no1 is rated 140lbs. so yes probably a bit of a gap between the 2...

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#19 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 26, 2010, 09:50:06 am

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#20 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 26, 2010, 10:01:32 am
That's all well and good, but then it would be impossible to make COC jokes all the time ;D

tobym

• menacing presence
#21 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 26, 2010, 02:17:52 pm
Be very careful, I developed a trigger finger in my Left middle finger, last year, trying to close my No. 2 :'(

bouncymat

#22 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 26, 2010, 04:11:06 pm
i have 2 COC - 1.5 and 2.5 - the 1.5 i can pump and the 2.5 i can close 1-2 times i day.

still not very strong when it comes to grip for climbing though, so in answer to.........
"does anyone recommend Captains Of Crush (or other cheaper alternatives) for increasing pinch strength? "

i would say no.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#23 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 26, 2010, 06:10:27 pm
thanks for the comments.

i went ahead and purchased a CoC No1  which i cannot close.  So now i have a measureable goal to achieve its time to train. 

Incidentally the package said i was supposed to get a small training booklet with it.  :rtfm: Which was obviously missing  :wall: , anyone got an online copy of booklet or similar? 

Cheers
tim

Their training advice seems to suggest that you should be able to do 10 reps on the COC you're currently working on  to have a realistic chance of closing the next one up.

I've got the Trainer, #1, #1.5 and #2 and had a similar experience to tobym in that I started to get trigger finger in my middle finger. I got far more climbing related grip improvements from dead hanging off my back 2/3 than time with the Captains.

I still aim to close the #2 though so I can win the respect of my peers and be knee deep in adoring top end scrunt.

k2ted

• player
#24 Re: Pinch Strength Training.
May 26, 2010, 06:15:01 pm
another be careful here too - bought the COC's 1 & 1.5 about 2 yrs back. Started off with loads of enthusiasm then got weird pain in my tendons (poss trigger finger but dunno!)

havent used em since & keep meaning to sell em....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal