UKBouldering.com

cheapest way to get to european venues (Read 3565 times)

WillJ

cheapest way to get to european venues
April 13, 2010, 12:37:25 pm
HI there,

I heard about these guys on the news, they find the cheapest complete door to door journey to anywhere in Europe. Seems pretty useful for getting to the likes of Font, etc.

www.zoombu.co.uk/

It's a beta site at the mo,  but certainly has great coverage for France.

hope it's useful,

W

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Newly registered user (today), first post.....vested interest by any chance?  :-\

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Makes me remember The Mighty Stone in 1990/1ish (long before he took up residence at The Tor). He cycled to Chamonix (from Edinburgh IIRC) with all his alpine gear in a rucksack - no panniers. Nails, but low carbon footprint/cost.

WillJ

nah. I'm on ukc most of the time, but took the plunge to switch over today to get more europe info. thought this could be a useful first posting!
w

benpritch

• forum abuser
good site

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
nah. I'm on ukc most of the time, but took the plunge to switch over today to get more europe info. thought this could be a useful first posting!
w

Fair-do's, I've just got a suspicious mind when it comes to spam.

Darren S

• addict
    • www.climbnewcastle.com
Sadly, for me anyhow, searches have to originate in the UK. Hopefully it will not be too long before it is expanded.
Nice site tho.

WillJ

haha, sure, no prob. Sometimes I would prefer those long-forgotten days of junk mail through the letter box - at least I could use that stuff in the fire.
w

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Seems useless to me. I need to go to Grenoble next week for a few days - obviously the sensible route would be sleazyjet to Geneva, then hire a car, but I quite fancy the train. It suggests I get a taxi to London, train to Paris, then taxi to Grenoble - idiotic. I believe trains exist other than London-Paris.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
I got a train to London once. It was very quick. Therefore they must exist. Cant comment on Grenoble end

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Aye, does seem a bit daft. I did a test serch for Aberdeen - Font, and the Quickest, Cheapest and Greenest all said the same thing for the same price  - drive to Edinburgh and then fly to CDG.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Given how much of a rip-off train tickets in the UK are it might be that all the "cheap" tickets are gone/not available and it is cheaper to get a taxi.

For my trip to Verdon in May we're traveling by train.  Sheffield to London (Return) £50 each.  London to Aix en Provence (Return) £119 each.  It doesn't take a genius to work out which is the better value per mile traveled (plus there is the added bonus that the Eurostar/TGV are clean & tidy and a lot faster).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
That's clearly not the case, the site just doesn't seem to be aware of trains other than Eurostar, or car hire or Easyjet for that matter, despite what it says. I guess it is in beta...

benpritch

• forum abuser
i managed to turn up some interesting options including a newhaven to dieppe ferry for fontainebleau which is cheap ( but long) anybody used this?

SA Chris

• forum hero
Why would the length of the ferry matter? :0)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
That's clearly not the case, the site just doesn't seem to be aware of trains other than Eurostar, or car hire or Easyjet for that matter, despite what it says. I guess it is in beta...

Not true either, just checked on my proposed journey and the "Greenest" option is Train from Sheffield to St Pancras, Eurostar to Gard du Nord, Hire car to drive down ( :o  :-\ ).

As you note though it is still in beta.

One thing it is missing is the number of people travelling which can have an influence on the relative cost of car-hire compared to other modes of transport.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I tried it several times and got the same result - British Airways or Taxis. I hope they sort it out for the full release as we are in dire need of a decent service like this.

SA Chris

• forum hero
One thing it is missing is the number of people travelling which can have an influence on the relative cost of car-hire compared to other modes of transport.

Indeed. A gaping flaw.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
sounds like a great idea. i think it'll be a while to build all the databases etc... to get proper results but as pritch says its worth checking as it can throw up some different options

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal