UKBouldering.com

NEED to rest?? (Read 2215 times)

gruffalo

• player
  • theres many ways to skin a cat....
NEED to rest??
April 15, 2010, 08:46:01 am
I have been training for a good couple of hours most evenings on my board,  i went out bouldering yesterday and climbed shit, the thing is that i havent been feeling sore after training apart from slightley tweekey fingers.... do i need to train every other day and rest a couple of days befor i start again?? :-\

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1 Re: NEED to rest??
April 15, 2010, 08:59:37 am
I've found I can train and then climb shit, or not train and still climb shit. Some days are just shit basically! Having just had a 7 month rest, I can confirm too much rest makes you shit. Really shit.

ITs all about routine and balance of rest and climbing. Once you find the level you will be ok.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: NEED to rest??
April 15, 2010, 02:49:33 pm
I have been training for a good couple of hours most evenings on my board,  i went out bouldering yesterday and climbed shit, the thing is that i havent been feeling sore after training apart from slightley tweekey fingers.... do i need to train every other day and rest a couple of days befor i start again?? :-\

I find that after time off if I train I ache, a few weeks into it I won't be aching the day after a session but I'm still seeing gains. In other words I woudln't use soreness as an indicator of recovery, maybe its more indicative of adaption?
Some people work best day one day on one off, others prefer a more Patxi based approach it all depends on you. I can generally tell at the start of a session (post warmup) whether I've left it long enough and I was suprised at how long this could be after beastmaker sessions.
Again personally, I'd try and rest the day before going out. Just so I get the most out of it.

jmews

• regular
#3 Re: NEED to rest??
April 15, 2010, 03:16:39 pm
Personally, I find a big difference between rest (nothing) and active rest (light climbing or cardio). If I take complete rest days then I get sore after the next session back on, and inevitably that session doesn't go too well either. Now if I have a particular day that I want to try hard on, I take two rest days before it - either both as active rest or one full rest day followed by an active rest day.

Doing light cardio, stretching, saunas or just getting out and doing something decreases my recovery time significantly and also stops me getting that lazy feeling on the first day back on.

Duma

• forum hero
#4 Re: NEED to rest??
April 15, 2010, 08:24:30 pm
what jmews said. tricky bit is making sure it's really easy - one tends to get a bit drawn in and end up pushing too hard, which is counterproductive. Having said that, I'm currently into my third week of (non active) rest...

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#5 Re: NEED to rest??
April 17, 2010, 04:53:03 pm
It's one of those things that is very specific to each person.

You don't get strong from training, you get strong from recovering from a training session. But how long this recovery takes is pretty person specific. The more naturally talented athletes recover and thus improve quicker and so can train more regularly.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal