UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club Week 9 (Mon 5th - Sun 11th) (Read 19829 times)

Yossarian

• forum hero
Pretty shit week training-wise, as too much work on and then too much eating and boozing in the evenings.

However, ran like I was being chased by an irate Belizian drug dealer (closest comparison from previous experience) on Tuesday night, which was quite fun.
And I managed about 4 hours on the bike on Sunday.
No strength training of any sort though. Tut tut.

Taking Falling Down's Gym Jones lead, my new STG is to beast myself to within an inch of my life with a combination of vicious strength exercises and punishing cardio.
I also intend to climb as many good sandstone 6s as I can over the summer, and check out the bouldering at High Rocks properly...
15 mile run in July, Dragon Ride in June, and then some off-road duathlons in the autumn.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
M-F nothing worth mentioning. Too much headstress and a big deadline

S - Climbed a ladder about a dozen times as I kept forgettign things while replacing aerial
S - Went for long walk in woods with bairn, lovely spring day.

I will climb again one day.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
As expected, last week I did fuck all.

My one achievement (apart from work / house selling stuff) was to get about ten mates I've not seen for ages out on a mammoth drinking session on Friday night. Got in at about half three and it took me two days to recover.

Back on it this week.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
New STG’s – Get proper fit for Surfing trip in May.
MTG’s – Redpoint 7c (Sturgeon/Lightweight/Body Machine) & Onsight E5 (Right Wall)
VLTG’s – Redpoint 8b, Boulder 8a.

M – Montsant onsighted 2 enourmous 35m 6b+’s.
T – Arboli and Valley Crag onsighted 2 6b+ & 6c+
W – Rest/Stretching
T- 45 minute intervals swimming
F – 45 minute intervals swimming
S – 100 Pressups & stretching
S – Easy soloing (18 routes) at Wingather with Galpinos

A good week for overall exercise. Was climbing well by the time we left Siurana. Now with this surfing trip coming up I’ve got to beast myself into shape so will be putting loads of effort into overall conditioning, cardio and core/upper body.

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
@andybfreeman
Terminator isn't obvious but it's at the bottom of the main descent to the boulderfield, a (kind of) recessed overhanging face about 5 metres from Nu Breed if you know where that is, or 30 secs walk from liquid sun and visible from the top of that boulder looking back at the descent path.
Neil Armstrong is south along the path from Lightning Strike, then left after 15-20 metres to some hidden boulders.
If you're looking for company on Terminator and Liquid Sun(shine) give me a shout, I'm keen to try them myself.

sounds good iain. are you around the weekend after next (24/25 April)? I really liked the feel of the rock but without a guide spent more time stumbling through brambles than i did actually trying stuff!

Mark, if you see this do you want to come down as well? BTW where's your training post? even shit weeks should be recorded, that's kinda the point!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
S – 100 Pressups & stretching

You omitted a detail mentioned in your blog about what happened during pushups ;)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
That blog post was from last night.  100 pressups in 4 sets of 25 on a Saturday morning was relatively easy in comparison with trying to do 50 reps in the middle of the workout from Hades.  I spewed up twice last night and was worried at one point that I'd had a stroke cos I couldn't get off the floor. Wish I'd never said ought now as I sound like a right dickhead.

iain

• forum abuser
And do you think the Gym Jones routines actually work if you are doing them alone? I guess a lot of the benefit may come from the hormonal response to doing stupidly masochistic stuff in a group?

Brilliant  ;D

That blog post was from last night.  100 pressups in 4 sets of 25 on a Saturday morning was relatively easy in comparison with trying to do 50 reps in the middle of the workout from Hades.  I spewed up twice last night and was worried at one point that I'd had a stroke cos I couldn't get off the floor. Wish I'd never said ought now as I sound like a right dickhead.

Full marks for the effort though, can't say you've not been trying hard.

sounds good iain. are you around the weekend after next (24/25 April)? I really liked the feel of the rock but without a guide spent more time stumbling through brambles than i did actually trying stuff!

I might be, I'll know by tomorrow and pm you.

Three Nine

• forum hero
Sorry for late post.

Goals

STG (this month): Just Revenge, onsight 7bs again
MTG (Europe): Onsight 7cs, 8as in different styles, 7C
LTG (Spring 2011): Tuppence

M Easy miles Portland, climbed badly and really weak
T Easy miles Portland, climbed badly and really weak
W Tried power 45, aborted as couldnt do my warm up, deadhangs
T Rest
F Rest
S The Gap miles, climbed shit
S Tried Just Revenge at Anstey's, got schooled but brill route

Strange week for me. Was horrified at sudden weakness and shitness. My weight has gone up quite a lot, but not enough to explain this. Spoke to ex-wad and he reckoned you need to have an easy week about once every six weeks so will do that next week, then hopefully get back on it. A disturbing turn to my experiment with training. I didn't feel like i'd been doing all that much, but i guess its early days for me. Trying to think long term. Also not sleeping great at the moment which may be affecting things. Psyched off my tits to do Just Revenge as is great. Would hope to do it next visit.

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
Sorry for late post.

consider yourself forgiven!   :whistle:

been looking at Anstey's on the other channel and now regret not coming down last weekend - some of the shorter routes, la creme etc, look amazing. i'm busy this weekend but let me know when you're heading down next. i'm not sure what if anything i'll be able to get done but i'm feeling strong this week, well better than last week's pathetic 'power' session anyway

Three Nine

• forum hero
Yeah i am always keen for that place and you would love it. You mean your shit power session when you were more powerful than I probably ever will be?!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Sounds like a fast route to buggered elbows/ shoulders though.

I worried about that too given my recent run of injuries but it's really not that bad on either although I've always been OK at lots of pressups.  I guess if you are f*cked and doing 25 pullups it's probably not that good and maybe take it easy. It's my legs that the most from the deadlifts and box jumps.

And do you think the Gym Jones routines actually work if you are doing them alone? I guess a lot of the benefit may come from the hormonal response to doing stupidly masochistic stuff in a group?

I'm sure that has an effect  :-*

It's certainly interesting though going from a relatively active lifestyle climbing each week, doing weights, running and cycling to suddenly really shocking the system in a big way so there's certainy some truth in how fit/strong you can become if you really want it (he says with a glass of red wine in hand stuffing his face with cheese)  :-[

Yossarian

• forum hero
Indeed. Inspired by your tales of vomiting, I embarked upon a magnificent orgy of pain last night (after a 3 hour bike ride the previous day) encompassing fast running, then deadlifting, bench press pyramids, dumbell press and cleans, pull-ups and pressups, and then more running.  Felt pretty sick.\

Planned a 2 hour bike ride and 45 minute run this evening, but am aching all over and instead making naughty animations and considering a McFiend.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I too am inspired by FD's 300 efforts.
I asked Mrs Starfish how she'd feel about me trying to get a 300 body. She looked blankly at me and I remembered that she had no interest in seeing the film. So, I showed her some pics on 'tweb. After she had stopped drooling/lusting she agreed that this might be a productive, fun use of my time. Looks like I might be working towards doing the 300 workout in less than 20 hours minutes like some of the actors did.
Mind you, she fucking freaked when she realised that I'd washed the baby in wine and then left it out in the back garden for the night to see if it survives. Fickle woman.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
monday-rest
tuesday-rest
wednesday-bouldering in the gym, felt heavy but decent. two problems on the 15° wall, then a new one on the 45°: pretty happy about this, i was tired but i kept my mind together and did it.
thursday-rest
friday-drove to ticino
saturday-climbed in chironico, tired, unable to keep the volume, 7a/7b
sunday-climbed in brione, started feeling better, did a 7a then failed on molonk, then tried frogger.
comments: didn't do much as it shows, in the gym i was quite depressed but some friends made me pull harder, in the end a nice session at least for one problem. finger is getting better but in the gym and in ticino it hurt alot and spoilt a little bit my trip. still feeling generally a bit tired.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
When I was a teenager, I could do 70-80 press-ups fairly regularly. These days I struggle to do 30. Bit weird that. I can do more pull-ups tho.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Thanks for starting thread Charles

Late post as was away this week.

Goal: Oak. 10,000 8anu points
Weight 11.4-5 (previous week 11.3-4)

M.Tor. First visit of year. Still wet in places. Few goes on the crux of Powerband. 2 dogs up the Toilet. Led Sardine and Tin Of clean.
T. Early AM Yoga
W.
T. Tor. Few goes on the crux of Powerband. 2 dogs up the Toilet.
F.
S.Drove to Font
S.AM Bouldered at Bouligny

Sardine is a good benchmark for me and felt good on it. Had an ace first day at Bouligny doing a couple of things graded 7a - first time doing anything at this grade in Font before.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Fucking slack there with the reply time shark, someone needs to get their Power Club cane out... :P

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Goals for 2010: In Hell (Parisellas), berezina, aerodynamite, big boss (Font)

Mon 5th: Cave session, had 4 redpoints on In Hell, managed to get to penultimate move, tired. Breakthrough on couple moves on Clyde. Keen for this after IH.
Tues: Rest
Weds: Rest
Thurs: Campussing
Fri: Short bouldering session
Sat: Climbed on new woody after resetting it on Friday
Sun: Went to font at 4am. Got there and hit Cuvier, managed Aerodynamite, Biceps Mou but didn't get Berezina. Couldn't match high sloper on La Balance as it was humid (and I'm shit on Slopey grips)

Duma

• forum hero
scraping in before the cut off...
nothing again last week, though I do have the excuse that the physio's told me to rest the knee.
On the other hand, did buy a car and get my hair permed into a massive 'fro (for charity, tho it's growing on me...)
Occurred to me that this shouldn't really prevent deadhanging etc...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal