UKBouldering.com

Car insurance: What the hell am I doing wrong? (Read 19083 times)

TonyS

• regular
Just caught this thread.

Ive just reinsured my A3 1.8 Auto after moving to a new house in a much better postcode, parking in a garage rather than on the street, having no more claims on my policy than last year and my points removed for being over 5 years.

Still cost me 50+ quid extra than last year.

I blame all these f***ing no win no fee bast**** my self. Had a phone call 2 days after going on comparethe.com by a comapny based in Manchester who asked me about my nofault acciedent I had 2 years ago where a lorry took the passanger side of my 306 off. They said they would enter into a no win no fee to claim me companesation I never got or wanted.

It these people and the folks that claim that are putting our insurance through the roof.

there my rant over

T

Paul B

• forum hero
and the scammers that'll write your car off for you etc. Look north or something rubbish like it reckoned it added £42 to every policy sold.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Have decided on my plan of action. Signing the car into my mothers name, insuring her fully comp for £144 then using my 3rd party cover to drive it thats provided by my own insurance policy.

You do realise that this can be a false economy, as eventually you will have to start building your own NCB, and you won't get any years accumulate while then car is insured in your mum's name. Sometimes better to do this when you have a cheap runabout rather than when you move on to something better.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I've still got my other car insured seperatley in my name so will be building up NCB on that regardless. I just wont be using it much thats all. For what I am going to be using it for, insuring the runabout in my mums name is the most economical way.

Paul B

• forum hero
I've still got my other car insured seperatley in my name so will be building up NCB on that regardless. I just wont be using it much thats all. For what I am going to be using it for, insuring the runabout in my mums name is the most economical way.

maybe pointing out that you're not going to be the main driver on an interweb forum isn't that wise.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Don't worry, my real name isnt Mr Golt. I don't think they will be able to track me down.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I would be worried mr Golt, I'm emailing your personal details to your insurance company as I type!
 ;)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Nobody believes me when I tell them my real name anyway! Do your worst!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
ok Lennox Lewis

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I thought his real name was Cassius Clay.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Threadcromancy!

Following on from the changing car shizzle... Anyone got any recommendations for a decent car insurance company?? 20 years UK licence, obligatory SP30, 10 years no claims bonus IIRC, want comprehensive with protected no claims. Direct Line giving me £770 (this is up £130 on my older, bigger engine, bigger BHP Volvo :???: ), Moneysupermarket is giving me quotes around £560-600, Gocompare around £600 too. Won't use Comparethemarket, they can fuck right off as they've ruined meerkats forever. Don't want to end up with some shitty arse unhelpful company tho....ideas??

Paul B

• forum hero
Give Brentacre a call and be armed with all of that information. Your car has gone up in value, that'll be the reason for the rise!

tomtom

• forum hero
Extra £300 because it's red ;)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
the Choad Tax alone would bump it up by £250

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Best deal I got was with Hastings, or 1st direct though they seem a bit shonky.

tomtom

• forum hero
Mines gone down by 20% this year *shrugs*

Red camo tax?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
Why do you want protected no claims bonus?  Don't you know it's a scam to get more money out of you

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
The wanker known as George Osbourne has put insurance premium tax up, don't know by how much or when it kicks in (next April maybe?), this will of course increase everyone's premiums.

(Party political bit - another tax rise that hits the lower end of the wage spectrum more than the upper end. All in it together? Wankers.)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Jim, I've needed to use it a few times, but I will have to check and see how much I risk the premium going up if I have a prang without it.

JB, 2nd recommendation for Hastings, Esure and Admiral have also had two recommendation each.

I'm not respraying it red camo....

PB, I suppose it's 5-10 times the value so yeah.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Why do you want protected no claims bonus?  Don't you know it's a scam to get more money out of you

Because when a fucking badger jumps out and fucks the front end you can get it repaired quickly and without hassle rather than scouring the world for an S-line bumper. I will be protecting mine in future I think.

tomtom

• forum hero

Because when a fucking badger jumps out and fucks the front end you can get it repaired quickly and without hassle rather than scouring the world for an S-line bumper. I will be protecting mine in future I think.

But isn't the con with protected no claims that maybe you keep your bonus (though you only lose 2-3 years if you claim with no protection) but your base premium will go up anyway as you have had a claim?

I bet that badgers been plagued with lawyers calling all hours wondering if it wants to claim for compensation.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
What Tomtom said. It's a con

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Hmm. Was unimpressed when my premium went up last year because I claimed for a no-fault accident - I wasn't even in the car - neighbour reversed into it while parked. If I claim this year for a badger attack they'll have me over a barrel.

galpinos

• forum hero
Give Brentacre a call and be armed with all of that information. Your car has gone up in value, that'll be the reason for the rise!

My insurance (through Brentacre) went down by 25% as well this year.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
When I changed cars the value insured increased by about 20x but the premium went down by 20%. No other changes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal