UKBouldering.com

Car insurance: What the hell am I doing wrong? (Read 19261 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
I said sites tomtom since it was quicker than typing all the nonsense of them selling your details through all sorts of avenues, that's all.
The rest of your tail certainly sounds bizarre!!! Never heard of that much hassle  :(

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Unlucky Alf Paul, your throne has been usurped!!

tomtom

• forum hero
I said sites tomtom since it was quicker than typing all the nonsense of them selling your details through all sorts of avenues, that's all.
The rest of your tail certainly sounds bizarre!!! Never heard of that much hassle  :(

No Worries - Its become really common I'm afraid - when you start to dig into it on Google - various discussion forums (moneysupermarket, mumsnet blah blah) are full of similar tales... b'stards..

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Edit: faaark, I'm an idiot, my SP30 expires today, that might help.
Most insurance companies will take penalties into account for five years from the offence so even if your license is clean they want to know.

I just got a great deal from Sky Insurance.  My car has been thoroughly remapped and my previous insurers wouldn't touch it - Sky insured it for only £30 more than the renewal premium offered by my previous insurers on the standard car.

tomtom

• forum hero
Edit: faaark, I'm an idiot, my SP30 expires today, that might help.
Most insurance companies will take penalties into account for five years from the offence so even if your license is clean they want to know.

I just got a great deal from Sky Insurance.  My car has been thoroughly remapped and my previous insurers wouldn't touch it - Sky insured it for only £30 more than the renewal premium offered by my previous insurers on the standard car.

Yes - odd things can make a big difference... My car being registered in Hull - but mainly kept in Manchester put a 20% hike on my previous insurers.. no difference with the new ones..

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Yeah, don't know whether it's still generally the case but several times I've had my premium go down when I put Mrs Bubba on as a named driver.

tomtom

• forum hero
Yeah, don't know whether it's still generally the case but several times I've had my premium go down when I put Mrs Bubba on as a named driver.

In my early 20's a friend had 11 points - and his insurance company were glad if ANYONE else were driving :D

cha1n

• forum hero
I also use Brentacre (third person I've noted on this thread since you asked for advice).

They are the only company who hasn't told me to do one if I've managed to find a cheaper quote and that's for 3 years running that they've matched cheaper quotes. I had them for a few years before I went to Europe but they couldn't insure my motorhome. Never on hold for very long (if at all), give them a call. The only people who could get close this year was swiftcover but they don't have great customer service.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Bubz, yeah it's 5 years ago today that I got my last speeding conviction...

Submitted the form to brentacre and didn't hear back, will check again tho.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Brentacre wouldn't take me because I haven't yet had the car for a year, and it was them who suggested I contact Sky.

I think it was the jump from a Mondeo to a remapped Bimmer that put them off, but they made it more than clear that I should come back to them in a year's time...

Paul B

• forum hero
Brentacre wouldn't take me because I haven't yet had the car for a year, and it was them who suggested I contact Sky.

I think it was the jump from a Mondeo to a remapped Bimmer that put them off, but they made it more than clear that I should come back to them in a year's time...

This seems pretty odd. When I originally started using them there were only a few of them (both heavily welsh) and anything 'problematic' resulted in a call to the underwriter to agree a way forward. Hope they don't go down the pan...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I recently went switched from Privilege to Axa and saved over £200 (even the breakdown cover was cheaper). I've not made a claim but when I claimed on their health insurance earlier this year they were definitely no quibble, very good service. I went through money supermarket and picked the first off the list.

I went for Axa based on price and this mention. So they better be good ;).

Protected no claims added £50 or so. Trying zero no claims bonus added £100+.

I'd forgot to add PNC on Directline recently, had a claim for a small bump earlier this year, and that dropped me from 9 years NCB to 3 years NCB.

It's a gamble  :devangel:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal