UKBouldering.com

Scar Tissue or? (Read 2552 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Scar Tissue or?
March 31, 2010, 04:59:30 pm
I'd hoped it'd be a while before I'd have to post in here (again) but obviously not.

This morning I have some soreness around the A2 in my index finger, I went to the Foundry last night but I have to stress, I warmed up properly and didn't try anything all that hard anyway (and if I did I didn't try very hard on it). The soreness isn't a sharp pain like most of my other injuries in the past and leads me to believe it might be scar tissue? (or am I just being hopeful). The thing is I can't remember ever injuring this particular finger in the past as it always my ring finger that goes first. I did climb at St bees at the weekend but didn't note any soreness from that or remember crimping on anything too dire.

On my other hand I've got a hard lump in the palm of my hand in between the ring and little finger (about 1" into the plam). I 'think' this is scar tissue from my last major injury and it only really hurts when guppying or holding onto holds that dig into the palm.

How can I tell and whats the way forward? It'd be a right kick in the balls if I'm injured already (6 months away, no problems). I was going steady and taking it very easy.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Scar Tissue or?
March 31, 2010, 05:07:49 pm
I would test the injured spot with a bit of friction massage? If when you rub you can feel anything that is a painful lump or bump there, chances are it is scar tissue.  Compare it to other hand and see if there is something similar?

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Scar Tissue or?
March 31, 2010, 05:11:15 pm
The left hand palm I'm pretty convinced is some scar tissue that just doesn't like the JUGZ made by HOLDZ.

The right hand (sorry I meant middle finger NOT index) A2 on the middle finger doesn't seem to be as clear cut either way. Friction massage doesn't reveal a point which I yelp, nor does it convince me that this isn't the start of something worse.

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Scar Tissue or?
April 01, 2010, 02:50:50 pm
Still aware of my finger today so I'm guessing its a minor fresh one. Here begins the cycle once more.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#4 Re: Scar Tissue or?
April 01, 2010, 04:07:28 pm
lump in palm sounds like dupuytrens - have a search on here for extensive thread (dead prevalent amongst climbers)

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Scar Tissue or?
April 01, 2010, 04:08:20 pm
lump in palm sounds like dupuytrens - have a search on here for extensive thread (dead prevalent amongst climbers)

read it. The lump is pretty near where I probably had my worst finger injury to date.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Scar Tissue or?
April 01, 2010, 09:18:09 pm
Friction massage doesn't reveal a point which I yelp, nor does it convince me that this isn't the start of something worse.
[/quote
l
Hmm. The yelp is normally a good indicator. Guess some massage wouldn't do any harm?

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Scar Tissue or?
April 02, 2010, 09:19:57 pm
I think it is very difficult to tell whether discomfort is scar tissue breakdown or actual injury, primarily because the processes are the same, i.e. tearing of fibres, both of which leads to swelling and inflammation.

It seems unlikely, if you didn't feel it come on, that you have anything worse than a very minor sprain, which should sort itself out fairly quickly.

Again, in terms of management, whether it is a sprain or scar tissue breakdown, it makes little difference. Either way, you need to let the pain subside before climbing on it again, and you really ought to avoid anything that is acutely painful.

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Scar Tissue or?
April 02, 2010, 09:27:35 pm
I think it is very difficult to tell whether discomfort is scar tissue breakdown or actual injury, primarily because the processes are the same, i.e. tearing of fibres, both of which leads to swelling and inflammation.

It seems unlikely, if you didn't feel it come on, that you have anything worse than a very minor sprain, which should sort itself out fairly quickly.

Again, in terms of management, whether it is a sprain or scar tissue breakdown, it makes little difference. Either way, you need to let the pain subside before climbing on it again, and you really ought to avoid anything that is acutely painful.

Cheers Saucisson. It hurts if I nip it against a steering wheel or door handle but not when climbing so I'm beginning to think that it is scar tissue.
Climbed on it today and completely forgot about it whilst climbing. Back in the car and I felt discomfort when I squeezed the wheel a little tight but nothing acute and I definitely didn't feel it come on. I was also crimping like mad on some dirty death top outs without pain.

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Scar Tissue or?
April 14, 2010, 10:38:21 pm
Well I had a dig around on my blog and it seems the LH palm injury can't be what I thought it was. As SA Chris pointed out on t'other thread; JFW was correct. I've had a chat with a few other people about this and its confirming this.

The RH Middle finger hasn't got any better or worse. There does seem to be a bit of a lump but no acute pain so I've been doing the usual, friciton massage and icing after sessions. Its yet to hurt when I crimp hard on something. However it didn't feel good on a little pocketed slab at gardoms. If I keep the end of my finger straight and bend at the knuckle closest to my palm to form a right angle, pressure from my thumb makes the finger ache around the knuckle.

Confused as always.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal