UKBouldering.com

Super Slick Sport String Scoop Sought (Read 2704 times)

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Super Slick Sport String Scoop Sought
March 29, 2010, 05:13:09 pm
I've only ever had multi purpose 10mm single ropes, (eg, Galaxy Superdry), but would like to get a lightweight single for redpointing.

I used one with Ted last year and was really impressed but I can't remember what it was.

Outside have offers on Edlerid Falcon 9.4, Edleweiss Performance 9.2 and Mammuts Infinity 9.5 and Serenity (8.9!).

Does anyone have any experience of these or other reccommendations?

Thanks

Paul B

• forum hero
I found that my Edelweiss didn't last that long on my trip. Furred up quickly and was generally pretty shit, didn't have a middle marker either. I ended up buying another Beal which I think they've now dropped for the even thinner Joker. This was fantastic and lasted much better. It was however incredibly stretchy, with the full rope out in Montsant Nat came very close to the floor from a considerable distance up on stretch (on a toprope).
I also found them to be a bit of a pain for dogging stuff as when you pull up to the last draw, then put your weight on it, it sags more than average which gets a bit tedious. Great for RP'ing though.

Be careful as they're like death in a gri-gri for the first few months.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Thanks, I'll probably go for the Beal. I've always heard good things about them generally in the past and they are on offer with a free ropebag at Urbancock.

http://www.urbanrock.com/products_detail.php?CatId=331&PId=2585

http://www.urbanrock.com/products_detail.php?CatId=331&PId=2070

Paul B

• forum hero
The ropebag isn't that good, the plastic goes brittle on it in the cold and subsequently breaks. Better than no bag I suppose.

The stinger is the rope we have. We got it cheap in a sale in the Verdon which was very lucky.

IanP

• forum abuser
I've got a Mammut Infinity and have been very impressed - handles very well and seems to be wearing well also.

I got it for £125 for a 70m from North West Face which was a bargin, may have put there prices up now.

benpritch

• forum abuser
mammut have always been good. i'll second the gri gri warning - was dropped myself once when my skinny rope was new.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal