UKBouldering.com

Looking After Your Bike (Read 2862 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Looking After Your Bike
March 29, 2010, 04:50:30 pm
Ok, more noob questions  :-[

Thanks for all your help so far guys. See other thread. First ride on new bike around the red and Glentress on Saturday. Brilliant. Took in a few black variant bits too.

Ok so at Glentress i used the jet washer to wash off the mood, but no soap or anything.

Any tips of after ride care. I presume some decent cleaner first, then spray and brush down. Any areas to avoid spraying. Also, do i need to do anything to suspension after, saw some guys using some spray on it after riding.

Thanks for your help again.  :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Looking After Your Bike
March 29, 2010, 05:01:06 pm
AAAARgh. Beware high power jetwashers. They can get water in past seals. And beware removing mood you never know what's underneath :) I'm lazy when it comes to bike maintenance, minimum I do is clean the chain with a chain cleaner brush thing and give it a good oiling, and brush off as much mud as possible from mechs.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Looking After Your Bike
March 29, 2010, 05:23:28 pm
Jet washers are ok as long as you avoid pointing them directly at bearing sites like pivot points.

After washing, lube your chain if it's looking dry, and I use a silicon spray on the points where cables enter their sheaths. Also rub fork stanchion with a little oil to keep any small pits getting rusty.

Keep any kind of lube away from your discs/calipers. If you get any oil on the discs you'll need to use contact cleaner on the discs, if you get any on the pads it's worth taking them out and giving them a gentle sand.

Not sure you really need to spray your suspension and don't just follow what you see other people do - once at Cwmcarn I saw a guy spray WD40 onto his girlfriend's discs. Maybe he was wanting to get rid of her or something.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#3 Re: Looking After Your Bike
March 29, 2010, 05:26:01 pm
Thanks guys!

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Looking After Your Bike
March 29, 2010, 05:58:33 pm
Not sure you really need to spray your suspension and don't just follow what you see other people do - once at Cwmcarn I saw a guy spray WD40 onto his girlfriend's discs. Maybe he was wanting to get rid of her or something.

Dick...

;D
(semi related) I bought an Alfasud from a guy who later admitted he'd put oil on the (inboard) discs because they were 'squeaking'! it actually backfired on him as I quickly spotted the smoke from under the bonnet during the test drive and used it to beat him down by a couple of hundred quid! Some people!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Looking After Your Bike
March 29, 2010, 09:01:39 pm
Unbelievable.

You actually deliberately considered buying an Alfasud.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Looking After Your Bike
March 29, 2010, 09:25:20 pm
Unbelievable.

You actually deliberately considered buying an Alfasud.

Yes, and I bought it.

Brilliant car. Thinking of the exhaust note still raises a smile.. that luuuurvley boxer engine..
It was in 1988.. I doubt any have survived until now - even back then there were only a few around due to the rust...

Sadly some over-exhubarant cornering saw me drive it sideways into a tree at 60mph....

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#7 Re: Looking After Your Bike
March 30, 2010, 06:15:59 am
Half and half mix of washing up liquid and water in a sprayer is great for cleaning of shit and grease and is a lot cheaper than Muck Off and all those other extortionate products that are probably a half and half mix of ....

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#8 Re: Looking After Your Bike
March 30, 2010, 09:30:15 am
I know i risk a charge of self promotion, but if you really want to get all anal about cleaning.........

http://www.planetfear.com/articles/Keep_It_Clean__MTB_Maintenance_967.html

Let me know if I've missed anything out............

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#9 Re: Looking After Your Bike
March 30, 2010, 10:02:38 am
the bike cleaner ive always used and will continue to use is hope shit shifter, just spray wipe with a brush and rinse off, good for degreasing chains, its a bit pricy. also it works realy well on disc brakes as it doesent leave a residue which some washing up liquids do reducing braking performance.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal