UKBouldering.com

Have I f*cked myself up? (Read 1501 times)

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
Have I f*cked myself up?
March 27, 2010, 12:15:55 pm
Hi Chaps,

Did a tough 3 hour plus climbing session last friday week and since then I seem to have lost all my grip strength. I felt OK at the time but my fingers were sore for a week after, right down to the bones.

Should I keep resting or get back in the saddle?

I'm a relative novice to climbing and this was the toughest session I've done to date. I'm a bit concerned I may have fucked myself up for the foresable future. There's no pain or selling in my fingers or forearrms BTW, just a lack of grip strength.

Cheers.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#1 Re: Have I f*cked myself up?
March 27, 2010, 01:01:20 pm
If you've got no muscular sharp pain then you've probably not damaged anything. It takes a while to build up finger strength and you're still working out your boundaries it sounds like, so you have to be a bit patient. I'd say keep doing what you're doing, don't necessarily have a lay off but maybe climb a little less strenuously before beasting it again. If you develop sharp pain in your fingers that hurts whilst you climb, stop, as you've probably damaged them.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#2 Re: Have I f*cked myself up?
March 27, 2010, 02:04:18 pm
Hi Chaps,

Did a tough 3 hour plus climbing session last friday week and since then I seem to have lost all my grip strength. I felt OK at the time but my fingers were sore for a week after, right down to the bones.

Should I keep resting or get back in the saddle?

I'm a relative novice to climbing and this was the toughest session I've done to date. I'm a bit concerned I may have fucked myself up for the foresable future. There's no pain or selling in my fingers or forearrms BTW, just a lack of grip strength.

Cheers.

As another relative novice here, I can tell you I did exactly the same a couple of weeks ago myself!
I had a really hard session, blasted loads of problems at the wall I had been struggling with and felt really awesome, went back a few days later and my grip strength was simply non-existent.
It was a bit scary at first, but I think its just a case of rest, massaging them, very light finger exercise, and a week off.
I did all of the above and I felt ok after the first session back, I also find Sauna's followed by freezing cold showers, repeated a few times seem to be awesome for recovery and getting all the junk out of your muscles fingers, I put my hands on the hottest bit of wood I could find then put them straight under the freezing cold shower when I got out, felt great the next day, i've also started to make sure I stretch my fingers regularly, individually as well as stretching them all at the same time.
Hope thats of some help.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal