UKBouldering.com

Actually getting help from GP (Read 1609 times)

jmews

• regular
Actually getting help from GP
March 27, 2010, 10:31:34 am
I have a swollen PIP joint on my middle finger. Left it for a while - after stupidly climbing on it a few times when it didn't feel so bad - but it hasn't stopped feeling weak and not moving so well. Any stress and it swells again.

Went to the GP this morning and he's sent me for x-rays of this and another problem finger (persistent injury that won't fully heal despite rest), stating that it might be tendons, ligaments or a fracture - genius diagnosis

. I always read people saying that, assuming a soft tissue injury, x-rays are largely useless and so - besides ruling out a fracture of some kind - the x-ray seems like a waste of time. When I asked what would follow he was vague and told me that perhaps I should come back regardless of the result and try and get some physio.

So, has anyone had similar experiences? I stressed that I climb and this is a priority for me, but he just tutted and asked why we would bother climbing on small holds. He was a nice guy and friendly, but felt it was a bit dismissive. How did you get to the next stage of having finger injuries assessed?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Actually getting help from GP
March 27, 2010, 11:19:32 am
X-rays have a role if you're suspecting localised degenerative disorders, otherwise soft tissue injuries are just that.

Sports physios are often your best bet, not a lot of GPs have an interest in MSK issues.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#2 Re: Actually getting help from GP
March 27, 2010, 11:30:56 am
The NHS isn't there to help improve the quality of life of those people who look after themselves and keep active and healthy FFS, it's there to increase the number of years that obese alcoholic drug users can claim benefits for.

Best thing is to find a sports physio with an interest in fingers and pay your own hard earned cash (unless you're an obese smoking sponger, in which case you should start filling out a DLA form and phone Injury Lawyers 4 U)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Actually getting help from GP
March 27, 2010, 11:47:00 am
Lagers, can you be a bit clearer- I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: Actually getting help from GP
March 27, 2010, 01:10:53 pm
The NHS isn't there to help improve the quality of life of those people who look after themselves and keep active and healthy FFS, it's there to increase the number of years that obese alcoholic drug users can claim benefits for.

You seem very well-informed about this.. :-\

webbo

• forum hero
#5 Re: Actually getting help from GP
March 27, 2010, 04:48:08 pm
probably a difficult session with a client who fits the above profile.who possibly threatened to kill themselves unless lagers got their benefits/methadone increased.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal