UKBouldering.com

It's Official...6Music RIP (Read 18912 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 10:52:09 am
Don't give up. The decision will be made by the Trust. Thompson can only make recommendations.

Email trust.enquiries@bbc.co.uk to complain.

Apparently the BBC is to halve web output to "leave space for others". This is fucking stupid. I don't mind paying my licence fee precisely because of things like the iplayer and radio stations like 6music.

I DO resent funding the shite that is the majority of the content on BBC1 which takes up over 40% of the licence fee alone and which I hardly ever watch.

Sack Mark Thompson.  :wank:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/mar/01/mark-thompson-overpaid

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
#2 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 10:57:46 am
 :agree:
my licence fee is being spent on something else if 6 music goes, my telly will be in the bin. All they commission now is a load of wank hosted by some tosser such as Jeremy Vine where everything presented is diametrically opposed. I blame the daily mail

During Tuesday's briefing, Mr Thompson said the report was about "putting quality first".  :wank:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:08:15 am by SpanishJuan »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 11:22:36 am
I've put my recommendation to the trust that they can cut £800k off the budget easily by sacking Thompson immediately. I'm sure if I had a look at their finances I could find plenty of other ways to cut £100m without sacrificing "quality".

Getting rid of BBC Switch is also a disgrace. Quality programming for young people with no advertising will be replaced by what the commercial channels already churn out tons of. Imported US "teen" rubbish (often with Christian undertones) with adverts for shit every ten minutes. This is "leaving room for others" is it? Is Thompson in Murdoch's pocket or something?

Also, the trust recently recommended that Radio 2 should not alienate it's older listeners. With Radio 1 dumming down all the time and seemingly aiming it's content at 14 year olds what is there left for anyone 25 - 45!? 6music?.......oh hang on......

:furious:

drdeath

• player
#4 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 11:22:57 am
6 music is the best radio station on the air and the only one I ever find myself listening to...

Breakfast without Sean Keevney?

Boo...I say again, BOO!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 12:02:39 pm
Check out the comments here.....

Just echoing what we're saying really.

It's not too late. Email the trust!!!

Having said that of course I just got an automated reply saying that they cannot guarantee a personal reply to every email BUT it's still worth a try.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 12:18:48 pm
From @VizTopTips

BBC GOVERNORS, prepare for a possible Conservative Government by pre-emptively shooting yourselves in the foot.

cofe

• forum hero
#7 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 12:20:26 pm
Arseholes. Have emailed the trust. 6 Music is the only reason I own a DAB radio.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#8 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 12:21:10 pm
I don't pay the license fee (no television) and don't listen to 6Music but cutting it seems to be a traversty.

If the BBC is about anything it's about doing what the commercial sector does not consequently that would be grounds for getting rid of Radio1 and BBC1.

As has been pointed out cutting the packages of the top 50 earners in the BBC would make the required savings and cutting the money paid to 'talent' would save even more.

As for the argument that they'd go elsewhere, maybe but if one side stopped the arms race the others would offer less too.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#9 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 12:52:34 pm
Maybe with the savings they could finally put 5 Live on FM?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#10 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 01:17:44 pm
Apparently 6music only costs £6m a year.

I've already found an area where we could save about ten times that:

Two BBC bosses have racked up the biggest pensions in the public sector, together worth more than £14m.

Mark Byford, 51, the deputy director general, is to receive a pension of at least £229,500 a year from a pot valued at almost £8m. This could rise to more than £10m if he works at the BBC until the age of 60.

Alan Yentob, 62, the arts presenter and creative director of the BBC, has accumulated a pension worth £6.3m, giving an annual retirement income of £216,667 for the rest of his life, according to new research.

Until now it was thought that Mervyn King, governor of the Bank of England, had Britain’s largest public sector pension. His pension pot is valued at £5.7m, paying a retirement income of £198,613 a year.

Vince Cable, the Liberal Democrats’ Treasury spokesman, said: “As more and more massive public sector pots are revealed, it only strengthens the case for reform. Taxpayers simply cannot afford to be paying lavish pensions for executives who are already extremely well paid.

“For teachers and nurses these schemes can deliver an appropriate pension, but these figures show that they can deliver obscene retirement packages for senior executives.”

This weekend it also emerged that the BBC has for the past decade rewarded senior executives with lavish receptions and leaving parties, with one farewell costing more than £150,000. The extravagant send-offs were not disclosed last month when executives’ expenses were published.

The Sunday Times asked Hargreaves Lansdown, the financial services group, to analyse BBC executive pensions after the corporation rejected a request under the Freedom of Information Act (FOI) to disclose the size of pensions held by executives below main board level. The BBC said the scheme was exempted from FOI because it is managed by a third party.

The analysis found that Mark Thompson, the corporation’s director general, has a second “hidden” BBC pension worth nearly £2.9m. No details of this pension, accrued between 1979 and 2001, appear in the BBC’s most recent accounts. They record only the pension rights he has earned since his appointment as director general in 2004, after a short spell at Channel 4.

Members of the BBC’s final salary pension scheme contribute 6.75% of their annual salary to the pension. The full cost of meeting these pension benefits far exceeds the members’ contributions.

:-\

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#11 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 01:56:54 pm
what is there left for anyone 25 - 45!? 6music?.......oh hang on......

Planet Rock on DAB of course. Alice Cooper's breakfast show is ace.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#12 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 03:00:10 pm
I'll be gutted if this gets pushed through.

Aside from the inexplicable presence of George Lamb, 6music has been a beacon of hope. Only the odd evening dj (e.g. Radcliffe and Maconie) on R2 come close to offering something in the same vein.

Sure, 6music will get picked up by a commercial operator, but I cannot stand any radio with adverts - they will lose me as a dedicated listener straight away. 

So little of what the BBC spends its (our) money on has any relevance or appeal to me, yet I still feel happy paying the licence fee precisely because of things like 6music, and good quality American imports like Mad Men (which I understand are also under threat as well).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#13 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 03:00:56 pm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/mar/02/bbc-strategic-review-mark-thompson

BBC Trust chairman Sir Michael Lyons said today if there was a big enough public response about the cuts then he would ask management to rethink its strategy.

"If we find that... there's massive public concern that we need to take account of then we will go back to the director general to rethink the strategy before it's approved," he said.

Email the trust!!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#16 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 03:31:15 pm
Ditto.

cofe

• forum hero
#17 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 03:37:50 pm
also email: srconsultation@bbc.co.uk 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#18 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 03:46:56 pm
Was just going to post that cofe nice one.

There are three months to complain and they'd already had over 2500 yesterday. If everyone who listens to 6music (or doesn't but cares about this sort of thing) emails them then they will have to listen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/mar/01/bbc-6-music-complaints

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#19 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 04:06:21 pm
Emails have gone - lets hope they see sense.

Chopping BBC3 or reducing its budget seems like the obvious solution to me.

Interesting to see shadow cabinet member, Ed Vaizey positioning himself as a supporter of 6music - seems a bit disengenuous to me given that much of the pressure that Thompson is feeling comes from the Murdoch empire, who lest we forget have just cosied up to the Tories - dare I speculate on the behind the scenes deals that were done with Cameron prior to New Labour being formally abandoned?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#22 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 05:00:23 pm
Dissent is building........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/mar/02/ben-bradshaw-tories-bbc-planned-cuts

More than 30 Labour MPs have signed a Commons early day motion saying it would be wrong to close 6 Music or the Asian Network and Tom Watson, the Labour former minister who tabled the motion, today urged the BBC to save the two stations.
John Whittingdale, the Tory MP who chairs the Commons culture committee, also said that the decision to close the two stations was "curious". He said the BBC should be "providing things that can't be found in the commercial sector".
Don Foster, the Liberal Democrat culture spokesman, also urged the BBC to think again about 6Music and the Asian Network.

"Today's report signals the end of the BBC roaming wherever it fancied. The decision to focus on high-quality UK content is welcome," he said.

"However, I am not convinced that using 6 Music and the Asian Network as sacrificial lambs to pay for it is the right approach. While the BBC has become overgrown in some areas and needs pruning, the licence fee payers must have their say about what's to go."

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 05:14:19 pm
What this needs is ONE PLACE where you can register your vote of displeasure. At the moment there is a facebook group, email the BBC, fill in a BBC questionaire, Fill in the link above from Jasper - this wont work unless there is ONE PLACE...

So everyone email your dissent to mick.ryan@ukc.com - he'll sort it all out  ;)

Daftness aside, there needs to be one voice with many names behind it here. I've sent three emails and can't keep on filling in new things etc..

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#24 Re: It's Official...6Music RIP
March 02, 2010, 05:20:24 pm
I agree with the principle but it's bombarding the Trust from all angles that will work (if anything will).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal