UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club Week 3 (Mon 22nd - Sun 28th) (Read 34084 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

G_M

• The Chapel
Following a chaser from de management but now testing my pathetic memory, here goes...

Goals: DKV2; soft Spanish ticks.
Weight: 8st 9lb - official.

M - "Rest".
T - Chapel: problem sets, endurance circuits and some opposites training.
W - Birthday occasion. Dinner and beer.
T - Chapel: circuits didn't inspire. Did some fun problems and tried DKV2.
   - Birthday occasion. Dinner and beer.
F - "Rest"
S - Nowt
S - Chapel: 4x4s and retro-flashed Yellow Steepness.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
That must make you about 5 stone on my scales, you should do DKV2 with 1 arm at that weight ;)

G_M

• The Chapel
That must make you about 5 stone on my scales, you should do DKV2 with 1 arm at that weight ;)

8st 9lb undressed - The Chapel ain' that warm... yet.

Three Nine

• forum hero
I expect puntering from all quarters and a telling off from the management but:

Power club makes pretty depressing reading! Its all - 'ate too much', 'didn't train', 'made some lego', 'sat on my ass' etc. whats the point in putting goals up if you're not going to make some effort to achieve them. Of course, we could all do more, but fucking hell! Folks can't want their goals very much if half the days of the week are spent boozing and slobbing.

Sort it out?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
It's all about reaching goals whilst having fun. However, you make a good point. By writing down/posting my lapses/failures I have realised how little I do towards my climbing goals and this has inspired me to try a bit harder. If the next 50 weeks were to stay the same then it would be depressing reading, but hopefully we will all see a change for the better.

Dead lifted 140kg this morning  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:00:49 am by lagerstarfish »

Three Nine

• forum hero
Jolly good!

I suppose it seems to my inexperienced eyes that there's a fair bit of the 'its cool not to try hard' British nonsense in a lot of posts. The other thing is i'm convinced that slobbing/being lazy doesn't make people happy. But what do i know...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
It is cool to climb hard without being seen to try hard. It's even better if you feel that you haven't tried hard. However, there is still a great deal of satisfaction to be had from getting something as a result of hard work.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:31:54 am by lagerstarfish »

nik at work

• forum hero
'made some lego'
I'm not suggesting my training routine would suit everyone, but it works pretty well for me.

I actually have the opposite view to you in that I am amazed (and impressed) at how many people do fingerboard/pullup type stuff in an organised fashion and have a system to their training (ARCing and circuits and such like). I kind of assumed everybody would adopt an approach as disorganised as mine. If I were to offer an opinion it would be that perhaps some people are training more than climbing.

Of course some people are just drinking.

iain

• forum abuser

I quite like the randomness and humour of some of the posts, makes for good reading. And lego rocks  :great:

As for training too much, probably, but it feels really good at the crag just now.

abarro81

• forum hero
It's even better if you feel that you haven't tried hard.

I find stuff far more satisfying when I know I have tried damn hard, both on the route/problem at that moment and in  training hard to reach that point o f strength/fitness ability. Knowing that the hard work you've put in has got you to a point you previously thought you'd never get to, that you're fitter stronger and better because of putting in the effort, clipping the chains and knowing that not only was it worth it but you'd do double the work if that's what it took. F*ck not trying hard.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Power club makes pretty depressing reading! Its all - 'ate too much', 'didn't train', 'made some lego', 'sat on my ass' etc. whats the point in putting goals up if you're not going to make some effort to achieve them. Of course, we could all do more, but fucking hell! Folks can't want their goals very much if half the days of the week are spent boozing and slobbing.

Sort it out?

Meh.  :thumbsdown:

People are just telling the truth and (like Lagers said) the idea is to inspire yourself to train more. What would be the point of doing this if we were all doing Simpson style 35 hours a week training already? Personally I will have done more this week than I have for about five months and a bit of that is down to thinking about writing it down.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass

I find stuff far more satisfying when I know I have tried damn hard, both on the route/problem at that moment and in  training hard to reach that point o f strength/fitness ability.

I know what you mean, but for me illness and injury occur so easily that this sort of satisfaction has been so infrequent over the last 10 years that I've lost all understanding of what it felt like.

Now, if I could get down to below 12 stone as a result of hard work and discipline and not as a result of the next major illness then I know I'd feel great as I crushed my first Font 7c (might be 8a if I got that light).

Stubbs

Sort it out?

Your post is quite offensive, but I'll take it in a constructive manner. I've recently come out of the end of 7 months of unemployment where I was training and climbing six or seven days on. My new job meant moving from Leeds to Suffolk, which has meant it has been quite hard to be motivated to train, and I've been busy with a lot of other shit. It has also meant that my closest friends are those in London, which has lead to more drinking than climbing. This is life. My posts are accurate (if with some attempted humour) and I look forward to looking back on them when I have a more settled training plan.

I hope you can see therefore that they are not meant to make it look like I'm not trying or that it's cool not to train, that's just what I'm doing right now.

chris_j_s

• menacing presence
Power club makes pretty depressing reading! Its all - 'ate too much', 'didn't train', 'made some lego', 'sat on my ass' etc.

You make a stunning job of generalising... Quite a lot of people on here seem to do a lot considering that for most its a leisure pursuit and we aren't all professional athletes.

What power club doesn't tell you is how much people are working around their daily grind. Personally, I leave for work just after 7:30 in the morning and don't get home until 7pm at night. Thats more than 11 hours a day gone for 5 days of the week plus I still have to put in semi-regular 2 hour work stints in the evening from home. Even so I still managed to do something climbing related on 5 nights of the week which I'm chuffed with.

Also, with so little spare time if I didn't fucking lighten up and have a drink sometimes my wife would probably divorce me!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Sort it out?

Are you trolling ? For bouldering I dont think you have to put in much more than 3 sessions per week to get pretty good results. A goal has to be related to lifestyle choices too. Sometimes the trade-off slips too much one way or the other. Its good to have choices. I think I have lost where I am going with this ....  conclusion - live and let live/ keep it real and nice or I'll start PMing you again and bore you to death. You stated before you wanted more training 'beasts' posting but they have less to gain out of this habitual confession than the rest of us / the majority - with lives n'stuff.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:08:41 pm by shark »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Dead lifted 140kg this morning  :thumbsup:

Nice one. That was my PB too a couple of weeks ago too. I've stopped doing weights now to concentrate on getting some finger endurance for Malham redpointing unless you report 150kg next week that is.   

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Lagers has this annoying habit of not doing any training for ages and still having ox like strength. It's a good job he's a fat cunt with fucked up fingers or he'd be dangerous.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

I quite like the randomness and humour of some of the posts, makes for good reading. And lego rocks  :great:
^^^ this. Also Three Nine your avatar is a bit crap.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
unless you report 150kg next week that is.

Quite possible. PB is 170kg when I weighed a mere 85kg. Haven't touched weights for some time until this thread started.

My knees will be the limiting factor

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Personally, I leave for work just after 7:30 in the morning and don't get home until 7pm at night. Thats more than 11 hours a day gone for 5 days of the week plus I still have to put in semi-regular 2 hour work stints in the evening from home.

Home? Luxury! I'm builiding t' house out old carboard boxes and cellotape. I work 26 hours a day and have to pay t' manager to let me work.

Three Nine

• forum hero
Shark - please dont as I will be far too busy training to reply. But no i'm not trolling - just saying what I think, even if it doesn't make me popular on an internet forum. I was just expecting people to be doing more. Presumably if you post on this thread you have made some committment to being better?

Fiend yes my avatar is shit i'll try and sort it out!

Stubbs - it wasn't supposed to be offensive, just blunt. Perhaps you're exceptional?

Would love to write more but the stopwatch is ticking.

Dolly

• forum hero
I'm pretty ignorant about this sort of weights in relation to climbing strength.
What's the theory behind dead lifting and strength gains versus reps with lighter weights ?

chris_j_s

• menacing presence
Home? Luxury! I'm builiding t' house out old carboard boxes and cellotape. I work 26 hours a day and have to pay t' manager to let me work.

Man up and quit moaning why don't you!

Shouldn't you be spending your time building a training facility rather than a house. I sense a lack of commitment to improving your climbing...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Is cellotape used mainly for fixing the second largest stringed instruments in a modern symphony orchestra?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal