UKBouldering.com

IOC accept sport climbing! (Read 9014 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#25 Re: IOC accept sport climbing!
February 12, 2010, 08:26:02 pm
My my, GraemeA does look good in pink.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#26 Re: IOC accept sport climbing!
February 12, 2010, 08:46:01 pm
I didn't find anything on the IFSC website recently, nor anthing anywhere else of consequence. Unless I've missed something this is a bit of a non-story. Where's our GraemeA with a quick reminder?
Do you not trust Reuters then?

tomtom

• forum hero
#27 Re: IOC accept sport climbing!
February 12, 2010, 08:59:15 pm
As boring as horse dressage and shooting??

Now combine the two and you're onto a winner!

Nizza

• addict
    • Increasing The Calibre
#28 Re: IOC accept sport climbing!
February 12, 2010, 09:14:26 pm
Normally this is all done with much pomp and circumstance as with golf and rugby 7s last year.  Doesn't quite seem to ring true at the moment.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#29 Re: IOC accept sport climbing!
February 13, 2010, 11:39:03 am
I visited some London walls when stuck at the in-laws, I hated it. I even got told off for getting changed (i.e. trousers) not in the changing rooms.

I completely understand where you're coming from. More people, more awareness greater funding at the top end. I just don't agree that these benefits outweigh the neg's. As Bonjoy pointed out on another thread there is a finite amount of rock and it can only take so much punishment. The fact that a lot of people may be introduced to climbing in a less than traditional manner means values such as not climbing on wet grit, cleaning your boots, brushing things etc. get lost and it doesn't take much of that to cause huge damage. Add to that increased numbers and access agreements will suffer. It only takes a few to spoil things for the masses.

Its a big gamble to allow more people to climb 'professionally' (Reading this back its at complete odds to a rant I had around 4 years ago)

Have you been to The Arch Paul?
I would still consider myself very much a beginner, (yet in full agreement about the muppets you described earlier)

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#30 Re: IOC accept sport climbing!
February 13, 2010, 12:33:24 pm
I visited some London walls when stuck at the in-laws, I hated it. I even got told off for getting changed (i.e. trousers) not in the changing rooms.

I completely understand where you're coming from. More people, more awareness greater funding at the top end. I just don't agree that these benefits outweigh the neg's. As Bonjoy pointed out on another thread there is a finite amount of rock and it can only take so much punishment. The fact that a lot of people may be introduced to climbing in a less than traditional manner means values such as not climbing on wet grit, cleaning your boots, brushing things etc. get lost and it doesn't take much of that to cause huge damage. Add to that increased numbers and access agreements will suffer. It only takes a few to spoil things for the masses.

Its a big gamble to allow more people to climb 'professionally' (Reading this back its at complete odds to a rant I had around 4 years ago)

Have you been to The Arch Paul?
I would still consider myself very much a beginner, i'm in full agreement about the muppets you described earlier being extremely annoying, yet those kind of people are present in most area's in life unfortunately!
However one of the reasons for me buying a regular membership at The Arch, is I have generally found it to be far more muppet free than any other indoor wall I have visited in London (although I haven't been to craggy island yet which has a good rep apparently).
The whole vibe of the place reminds me of one of the more hardcore weightlifting gyms I used to go to, when I was really into my powerlifting, it was full of some amazing powerlifters, guys that would compete across the UK (and some internationally i'm sure), it just had that whole "work hard atmosphere", like everyone turned up to achieve something, and they weren't going to go home until they got their stuff done.
The Arch kind of reminds me of that, which is why I like it, I turn up and the presence of all the people there better than me trying to improve and working hard on their own individual goals, spurs me on to do better with mine, which is cool :)

What I meant to write ^ previous one won't let me modify it!

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#31 Re: IOC accept sport climbing!
February 13, 2010, 04:32:42 pm
Respect my authoritar

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#32 Re: IOC accept sport climbing!
February 14, 2010, 04:49:27 pm
Roberto, sorry to not answer earlier but I was off skiing, spending the proceeds of introducing millions of new punters to climbing walls  ;)

It's a none story. IFSC got provisional recognition in 2007 and then full recognition in 2008 (I think it was 08 but it might have been early 09)

UIAA was recognised in the mid 90's when the UIAA were in charge of comps, so the story is over 15 years out of date.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#33 Re: IOC accept sport climbing!
February 15, 2010, 05:32:49 pm
It appears that there are many forms of IOC recognition and the latest  was given on Friday

http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/newsletter/newsletter.php?idnewsletter=11

Ethan

• obsessive maniac

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal