#4 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 18, 2010, 07:06:01 pm
Very impressive repeat for sure

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#5 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 19, 2010, 04:35:43 am
not quite sure what the bloke in the red t-shirt is planning to do if he lobs from here - run away would be my suggestion...

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#6 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 19, 2010, 08:24:09 am
Holy... sh*tballs...  :jaw:

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#7 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 19, 2010, 10:11:18 am
Highball suicide teabagging was about to commence  :o

Palomides

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 19, 2010, 11:41:52 am
That is simultaneously one of the most impressive and dismaying photos I've seen for a while.

Can we start calling this sort of behaviour "Deathballing" ?

"Highballing" doesn't quite sound serious enough, "OMFGballing" doesn't look right, "ShitYourPantsballing" is a bit long, "Awesomeballing" is just too American, "RunAwayRunAwayballing" and "I'mNotGoingUpThereballing" can only be applied to not actually doing any climbing, "Optimisticballing" isn't macho enough,  "SHIT!!!111balling" is probably some kind of perversion I'm happily unaware of, "Idiotballing", "Nutcaseballing" and "Fruitcakeballing" are rather disrespectful, and the ethics police won't allow the use of old-school "soloing" in the presence of anything more than a single beer-towel.

Red t-shirt spotting man probably saw the photo afterwards and went "what the fuck was I doing with my arms". He deserves a medal and a lie-down in a dark room.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 19, 2010, 11:58:39 am
That is simultaneously one of the most impressive and dismaying photos I've seen for a while.

Can we start calling this sort of behaviour "Deathballing" ?

"Highballing" doesn't quite sound serious enough, "OMFGballing" doesn't look right, "ShitYourPantsballing" is a bit long, "Awesomeballing" is just too American, "RunAwayRunAwayballing" and "I'mNotGoingUpThereballing" can only be applied to not actually doing any climbing, "Optimisticballing" isn't macho enough,  "SHIT!!!111balling" is probably some kind of perversion I'm happily unaware of, "Idiotballing", "Nutcaseballing" and "Fruitcakeballing" are rather disrespectful, and the ethics police won't allow the use of old-school "soloing" in the presence of anything more than a single beer-towel.

Red t-shirt spotting man probably saw the photo afterwards and went "what the fuck was I doing with my arms". He deserves a medal and a lie-down in a dark room.

What about just calling it a solo  :shrug: ?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 19, 2010, 11:59:59 am

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#11 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 19, 2010, 03:41:33 pm
not quite sure what the bloke in the red t-shirt is planning to do if he lobs from here - run away would be my suggestion...

:agree:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 19, 2010, 03:58:33 pm

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a

Ged

• junky
#14 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 21, 2010, 11:18:47 am
Is this the thing that George Ullrich climbs the top part of, after using  a ladder for the bottom epart in "call it what you want"?   Looks like it, just seems weird they don't mention it in progression

Stubbs

#15 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 21, 2010, 11:26:13 am
just seems weird they don't mention it in progression

It was mentioned in the news items at the time, but TBH he did use a ladder to get past the 8A boulder problem to solo the 7b+ route bit (which he prepracticed?) So not particularly awe inspiring to mention next to the rest of progression n'est ce pas?

Honnold is a monster, wonder what he's got in store next...

Paul B

• forum hero
#16 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 21, 2010, 04:56:00 pm
What would they have mentioned it as, one of the most contrived style of climbing a highball ever?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#17 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 22, 2010, 10:00:45 am
I'm not sure what the point of "doing" a route like that would be let alone reporting it? Be like aiding the start of Revelations and then soloing the rest (after top roping it). Or am I missing something?
 :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#18 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 22, 2010, 10:01:28 am
I'm not sure what the point of "doing" a route like that would be let alone reporting it? Be like aiding the start of Revelations and then soloing the rest (after top roping it). Or am I missing something?

He was enjoying himself?  :P

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#19 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 22, 2010, 12:56:12 pm
Isn't it called headpointing? Althoughall the pads mean it's probably not this either. Maybe, pre-practiced high-balling?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#20 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 22, 2010, 01:06:00 pm
Or more like, doing that to Careless Torque. I wouldn't consider it an ascent at all, not even an aided one (although if you skyhooked up the start of something...)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#21 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
February 22, 2010, 01:06:44 pm
Highball suicide teabagging

P.S. This is the obvious new genre name  :thumbsup:

Ged

• junky
#22 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
March 03, 2010, 09:19:37 am
It's just that they go on about it being the "next level".  Surely an 8a boulder problem isn't the next level, so i presumed he meant the top bit for it's outrageous height and difficulty combination, which had already been done (albeit without doing th start).  I know doing the start obviously adds to the difficulty of doing the rest of it, and I know climbing half a route with a ladder is a bit weird, but fair play to him he never claims it's anything other than that, and he still does that scary top bit pretty smoothly which Jorgeson seems to think is pretty full on?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#23 Re: Ambrosia 2nd Ascent
March 03, 2010, 09:32:28 am
It's just that they go on about it being the "next level".

They're American.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal